Please, widescreen support (21:9) !

Nothing more except that I hope there will be support for widescreen !

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

• 10 months later...

Currently there is only ultrawide screen 'support' with windowed/ borderless windows mode. However, it has many issues. Conversations are still letterboxed, cutscenes are stretched and the character isn't visible in character creation and inventory. 

Edit: I've created a thread in the support forum

Edited by ZakKa.dev
  • Sad 1

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting these widescreen issues to us.  I put a report together with the information you've provided so far for the Programming team to look into.  If you discover anything else about the widescreen issues, please let me know in this thread so I can add that information to the report.

Thank you, and sorry for the widescreen issues you are having.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

At 3440x1440 normal gameplay the game uses VERT- instead of HOR+, prerendered cutscenes are stretched, and in dialogue the screen gets letter boxed.

Here are some example screens, courtesy of resetera:

16:9:

TlZWdJ6.jpg

21:9:

Jc00OB4.jpg

Prerendered cutscene:

indianawindowsstore-w9wksv.png

Dialogue screen:

indianawindowsstore-wkgjei.png

• Sad 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Here's some more info regarding ultrawide problems:

7 hours ago, ZakKa.dev said:

1. No real ultrawide support (only borderless windowed)
2. Character is not visible in character creation and inventory screen on borderless windowed
3. Can't play letterboxed 1080p on ultrawide screen (stretched)
4. Cutscenes are stretched, doesn't matter if I use a 21:9 or 16:9 resolution
5. Dialogues are letterboxed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This is only indirectly related to the ultrawide issue. But in windowed mode this is what the character looks like in the inventory (and also character creation). I'm posting this here because ultrawide monitors force us to use a buggy windowed mode, and my thread was locked. 

bug.JPG

Edited by ZakKa.dev

3440x1440 only in borderless windowed but the zoom/FOV is absolutley horrible,

I assume that all this is a bug and will be fixed in a hotfix asap i hope cause this is not playable.

Edited by Raggz
  • Sad 1

Thank you Pidesco for categorizing the currently known Ultrawide issues and making the Dev's aware.  That is appreciated.

As someone who is visually sensitive, once Ultrawide support + FOV is patched into the game I will be buying a copy.  This issue is the only thing stopping me from doing so.   Looking forward to a future patch!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Same issue here, resolution: 2560x1080p.

Been waiting for your game since I heard the announcement but hard to play like this, my copies on MS Store...Just wanna be able to use Fullscreen mode at the correct resolution, gives me stretched 16:9.

Good luck patching it, looking forward to playing.

22 hours ago, ZakKa.dev said:

1. No real ultrawide support (only borderless windowed)
2. Character is not visible in character creation and inventory screen on borderless windowed
3. Can't play letterboxed 1080p on ultrawide screen (stretched)
4. Cutscenes are stretched, doesn't matter if I use a 21:9 or 16:9 resolution
5. Dialogues are letterboxed 

Same here... I'm really sad at the moment... First game I bought on day one since I can't remember when...

Vert- with distorted view just isn't enjoyable. And there doesn't seem to be any possibility to get it set up in 2560x1440 on my 3440x1440.

EDIT: Tried to run the game in a 2293x1433 window with black desktop background. 28 fps running an overclocked Vega 64. :(

Edited by Sonarplexus

A couple more examples of the cropping and what it does to gameplay. So wide resolutions aren't even actually being rendered, they are just rendering it lower and cropping and zooming the image to fit the aspect ratio of borderless windowed mode.

I was able to get pillars (side black bars) working by disabling all scaling options in the nvidia control panel AND on my monitor, but still, its 2019, widescreen  support shouldn't be an afterthought. Hopefully they will get this updated soon.

m6JxHgb.jpg

NgPm6NX.jpg

Still surprised to see how developers think this a niche sector in the gaming community. If I'm not mistaken, the manufacturers have been dropping prices significantly and it's becoming quite popular as a gamers choice, because of the significantly wide aspect.

It's nice to see the dev's responding, but last feedback I read was that this was a very low priority. Please fix this issue sooner rather than later, Obsidian.

+1 for 21:9 support.

For those unaware, a trainer is available that fixes the "zoomed in" effect and pillarboxing in dialogue.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/1442-the-outer-worlds-ultrawide-dual-monitor-mod/

Outstanding issues this trainer doesn't fix:

- Cutscenes/loadscreens stretched

- Viewmodel (players weapon) still zoomed in

- FOV/resolution reverting when accessing the settings menu

Edited by Speeko