Flaws flaws flaws

You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.

I would appreciate bit more info on how flaws work. Like is there a preset list of flaws where you can pick a flaw whenever or are flaws to be discovered? I mean, I can't really know if I have Raptiphobia if I have never met a Raptidon.

Discovering new flaws through exploration that you could pick would open up some humorous and very humane gameplay: Struggle to climb the tallest mountain of the planet to finally feast your eyes on the wonderful vista opening up before your eyes, only to discover you have crippling fear of heights.

That calls for me on some very primal level.

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 5

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

That's what I'm curious about.

Definitely seems to be on the more experimental side. Kinda makes me womder though, like what will the extent be. Also, it seems like it would be easy to cheat this type of system.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It sounds like a neat system.

I just wonder... Will the perks be worthwhile enough that one might consider trading a bundle of downsides for one? How beefy will the character systems be?

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I want alcohol/drug addiction as a possible flaw :lol:

Anytime you come across booze, you'll be railroaded into buying and chugging it.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I really like the idea of flaws. As you get better in a skill based game it's great for the challenge to become even greater. It's also a clever way to min-max, because you might know of areas that your more skillful in and thus don't need the ingame skill points.

• Like 1

So they're basically modifiers...

Reminds me of Bastion (the first rpg I played with modifiers).

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 1 month later...

I think this system will greatly add to the replay ability, and the roleplay aspect of the game. If you decide to do a strictly melee playthrough, or high pyromaniac build, then you could choose certain flaws on one playthrough that you may completely avoid in a different one. It will also cater more to different play styles for different people. Even if 2 different people are doing melee playthroughs, choosing different flaws could change the experience of both players in what decisions they will have to make in solving problems to get around the negative aspect of their flaws, or both may be offered optional dialogue based on the flaws, if that is a system in the game.

Yep, sounds similar to traits(?) in the first Fallout. Kind of. 

I love things like this, I don't always want my character to be perfect at absolutely everything. Trade offs are a good thing. And flaws in general, makes you have to think a bit more about certain situations.

nowt

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering if you can be strategic with flaws, as in take a flaw that you know won't be relevant in the next quest area, and then replace it with another flaw when it becomes relevant. As in, let's say there is a flaw to take 20% more damage from robots, and your next area has no robots. Then replace it with a flaw when you know your next area has robots.

I will make it my mission to make as flawed a character as possible.

By default number of flaws you can accept depends on difficulty setting, 5 on the hardest, 4 on hard, 3 on normal and I guess 3 on the easiest difficulty? I don't think they mentioned that one when discussing number of flaws specifically.

That said I'm sure one of the first mods will be a mod to let you be more flawed or more flawed on lower difficulties. 

• 4 weeks later...