The timing of the reveal of Outer Worlds is perfect after the Fallout 76 fallout

What the title says!

I mean, this couldn't have been revealed at a more opportune date, Now, I just really hope that Private Division and Obsidian spin the PR web cunningly and get the word out there. I will help them, count on it.

Keep emphasizing: No microtransactions, etc...

Spread the word, guys!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 9

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Fallout is dead... good riddance! The old Fallouts, the new Fallouts need to be forgotten.

It's time for Rage 2 and The Outer Worlds to take over. Nobody should have a problem with this :)

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

What the title says!

I mean, this couldn't have been revealed at a more opportune date, Now, I just really hope that Private Division and Obsidian spin the PR web cunningly and get the word out there. I will help them, count on it.

Keep emphasizing: No microtransactions, etc...

Spread the word, guys!

I think the timing is great, and "Fallout in space" seems nice.

I did find the graphics lacking a bit, and for this type of game (FPS RPG) I think it will be judged hard by a big base of players. So the devs have to work on that (if possible).

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I can't wait for the eventual Obsidian-branded canvas bag mod.

Fallout is dead... good riddance! The old Fallouts, the new Fallouts need to be forgotten.

It's time for Rage 2 and The Outer Worlds to take over. Nobody should have a problem with this :)

Finding it, though, that's not the hard part. It's letting go.

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 1

Obsidian canvas bag in game, and upon use, you'll lose a substantial amount of your currency to a weird company called O-Doxxxes.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Fallout is in no way dead, Bethesda still has Starfield/TES6 and you can bet Fallout 5 after that, even if F76 was a disaster it's not going to kill off the main rpg series. I mean I enjoyed Fallout 3/New Vegas (Fallout 4 less so).

The humor and retro-future aesthetic is something that makes Fallout games so enjoyable and unique.

I hope The Outer Worlds goes a similar route but in more of a space/sci-fi game, kind of like a Firefly/Fallout sort of mix.

Well, Fallout as a game is not dead, but Fallout as essence sure is. Fallout 4 was laughable and I didn't lay my hands on 76, but I haven't seen anyone saying anything good about it. Bethesda has just lost it - even Skyrim, as great as an open world playground as it was, lacked as hell in the story/roleplay part.

I'm really excited to see what Cain/Boyarski have layed on the table after all these years and the four points in the steam page hint something great. After all, they never let me down when it came to interesting ideas in roleplaying wether it was Fallout, Bloodlines or Arcanum. Now given their time and a high budget, they must have made the game of their lives :)

• Like 1

Fallout is in no way dead, Bethesda still has Starfield/TES6 and you can bet Fallout 5 after that, even if F76 was a disaster it's not going to kill off the main rpg series. I mean I enjoyed Fallout 3/New Vegas (Fallout 4 less so).

The humor and retro-future aesthetic is something that makes Fallout games so enjoyable and unique.

I hope The Outer Worlds goes a similar route but in more of a space/sci-fi game, kind of like a Firefly/Fallout sort of mix.

In my opinion Bethesda either doesn't understand Fallout and what turned 1 & 2 into cult classics despite their numerous flaws or just doesn't care about it and treats it like a step child which they are not very fond of. 

• Like 1

The timing of the reveal of Outer Worlds is perfect after the Fallout 76 fallout

True that.

But lets not forget that there is also upcoming Cyberpunk2077.

For example after The Witcher 3, I had some sort of gaming hangover. Other games didn't spark me for at least 3 months. And I expect the same from Cyberpunk :)

Btw, I have never played any of fallout games before (not my setting, plus off-putting UI and mascot for my taste). But this reveal trailer caught my interest. Will be waiting it's release. Plus it's Obsidian. Am expecting some interesting mechanics and deep character creation.

Edited by MaxQuest

I hoped that it was some Firefly-ish RPG.

Now it seems to be 80% Fallout and 20% Firefly - but I guess this is as close as it gets. :)

So... I'm looking forward to it.

I don't care about top-notch next-gen whatever graphics - as long as the overall aesthetics are coherent and well done.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah, they really should spend quite a few iterations, maximizing the impact of the graphics, and IMHO, do something about them faces.

The graphics look great to me, and the faces look better than anything from Bethesda's Fallouts.

Maybe I'm just old, but I'm long past getting excited by ever-more photorealistic graphics in games.  I remember thinking that the original Doom looked so photorealistic it was like someone had videotaped actual demons, which is obviously laughable when you look at any screenshot of old-school Doom today, but it definitely seemed that way to me at the time.  But these days?  I'm hard pressed to care about the difference in photorealism between the last gen and the current gen.  It all seems incremental to me.  And the Outer Worlds definitely looks good enough for current gen.  Looks great, I think.

(These days I'm much more likely to take notice of an interesting art style, like SuperGiant's games.  Or the way they stylised everything in Tyranny.  Or Prey. where all the characters look like oil-painted caricatures.  That sort of art really appeals to me.)

• Like 1

I hoped that it was some Firefly-ish RPG.

Now it seems to be 80% Fallout and 20% Firefly - but I guess this is as close as it gets. :)

So... I'm looking forward to it.

I don't care about top-notch next-gen whatever graphics - as long as the overall aesthetics are coherent and well done.

My thoughts exactly. :)

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Yeah, they really should spend quite a few iterations, maximizing the impact of the graphics, and IMHO, do something about them faces.

The graphics look great to me, and the faces look better than anything from Bethesda's Fallouts.

Maybe I'm just old, but I'm long past getting excited by ever-more photorealistic graphics in games.  I remember thinking that the original Doom looked so photorealistic it was like someone had videotaped actual demons, which is obviously laughable when you look at any screenshot of old-school Doom today, but it definitely seemed that way to me at the time.  But these days?  I'm hard pressed to care about the difference in photorealism between the last gen and the current gen.  It all seems incremental to me.  And the Outer Worlds definitely looks good enough for current gen.  Looks great, I think.

(These days I'm much more likely to take notice of an interesting art style, like SuperGiant's games.  Or the way they stylised everything in Tyranny.  Or Prey. where all the characters look like oil-painted caricatures.  That sort of art really appeals to me.)

Just to clarify: Personally, I don't care much about graphics, and the way the game looks right now is absolutely fine. Gameplay is king. My concerns are solely due to my hope that much younger (than me) disappointed Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 players will pick up this game.  

• Like 3

Just to clarify: Personally, I don't care much about graphics, and the way the game looks right now is absolutely fine. Gameplay is king. My concerns are solely due to my hope that much younger (than me) disappointed Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 players will pick up this game.  

I think if they've played Fallout 4 and 76, they're already used to somewhat shonky graphics.  And I think the trailer does a really great job of evoking the general look and feel of Bethesda's Fallouts while still looking like its own thing.  As I said in another thread, I think they set out to purposely evoke Fallout New Vegas so people would make the connection.  And then they also outright said it in the trailer.

Exactly my point too. The grognards are not the problem here. This type of game will appeal to a much broader group of people, and of that said group, graphics will, to many, play a huge role. In that regard, what we saw in the trailer, won't be up to the standards expected of a game, of this type, in 2019.

• Like 2

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

The name does sound like some knock off of Borderlands

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now that we know that it isn't a huge open world game, I'd say this is another great selling point. They can emphasize the RPG side of it, and hopefully replayability and such.

• Like 3