Steam Page Info

This is Steam page

ABOUT THIS GAME

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division. 

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable. 

Key Features

The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.

You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.

Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.

Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

So is there no skills?, it does say character build though?  is this like elder scrolls stuff where you get better by doing stuff?

Looking forward for more info and am curious how your character will affect the world. 

I am also curios what is "player-driven story RPG". Sound like sandbox or exploration game like elder scrolls to me with no or little narrative. I generally like an interesting narrative story but im sure ill try this anyway :)

Edit : thanks slopesandsam there is screen shot with dialogue and skills nice 

Edited by draego
  • Like 2

I'm betting there will be a skills/leveling up system but it would be refreshing if it didn't have any.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

There's a screenshot on the Steam page that shows a conversation, which is very reminiscent of New Vegas.  Which, as far as I'm concerned, bodes well.

Ye Im a potato and there is a skill on that screen shot also LUL  :facepalm:

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

From the info I gather there will be a Kotor kinda vibe to the game as well, meet companions, they join your crew, all have some specific use. Possibly for spaceship jobs and stuff? Sounds very Kotor to me and I love Kotor so.

I'm not getting ahead of myself here. Just looking at the fine print :p

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Firefly/Arcanum/Fallout hybrid?

More like Fallout/Borderlands/Bioshock sprinkled with bits of Kotor and Rage/Rage 2.

I love all these games so I'm really looking forward to this one. As soon as pre-order is up, I'm doing my civic duty and supporting good customer quality practice (pre-pirchasing regardless of how little is known about the game).

• Like 1

I'm assuming you're responding to a post I can't see because that's really random.

We get it, you blocked me :) Cool.

Even if you blocked me and can't see my post, you should be able to connect the dots here...

Firefly/Arcanum/Fallout hybrid?

So not too random, unless you blocked Leferd too.

Edited by SonicMage117

The dialogue screenshots shows a clock on the upper right of the box. Timed responses a la Alpha Protocol? Who knows!

Alpha Protocol has great reactivity. It's very underrated game. Dialogue system is fluid and great for C&C, reputation and roleplaying certain type of character.

It looks like The Outer Worlds will have skillchecks too.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

I don't mind dialogue timers, it keeps me on my toes so actually I prefer it. After all, we don't take 30 seconds to answer someone's question irl ;)

I don't really like timers in conversations either, I'd rather have time to think about my options over 'realism' in a videogame like this.

Pretty fun mechanic with those flaws, especially if they are optional. You could do a 'normal' run and if you've finished the game once you could add all the crazy stuff you'd like (that's what I'd like to try anyway, I know there's gonna be people who'd do all that stuff from the get go :p )