Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Please give us an optional third person camera.

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Easter_GRegg

Easter_GRegg

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I'm here just for say thanks obsidian and thanks Leonard Boyarsky/Tim Cain because after this ****ing **** of Fallout 76  :banghead:  I can say now I have my new real fallout :w00t:  not the same game of course but when we saw the trailer we recognize the touch of creators and developers of fallout.  :dancing:  Thanks a lot.

Nice won Obsdidian.

GetMagnaCarter

GetMagnaCarter

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

This narcissistic fascination with the third-person perspective that allows one to ogle oneself has always baffled me.

1) this isn't looking in a mirror, people are not looking at themselves but at their creations (many roleplayers create/play as characters completely unlike themselves)

2) third person viewpoint gives players a better view of such things as the character's stance and surroundings,  how close people/things are, their footing (their feet), etc

3) see other posts for people who suffer from "motion-sickness" from first-person view point (I believe it is caused by the perception of movement without actually moving)

• keriana and Sanjid099 like this

keriana

keriana

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Agree. Please add third person. I don't like first-person games.

Edited by keriana, 08 December 2018 - 10:21 AM.

OvidOfficial

OvidOfficial

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Bump! 3rd person must be a ton of work with animations and clipping and all sort of things that aren't easy, but as a big Obsidian and RPG fan, I think its important for many reasons:

1) Accessibility- All though not always, I sometimes get motion sick and dizzy in first person view. I have two friends who wont play first person games because it affects them so badly

2) Role Playing- Seeing our character visually represented and able to express their personality / idenity through their appearance is extremely core to RPG's in my opinion.

I have faith in Obsidian and am still extremely excited for this game no matter what, hopefully hearing enough people express interest in the option for 3rd person can encourage them to reconsider it! <3

• Mirandel likes this

Sovierika

Sovierika

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I don't want to sound petty at all, but not having a third person mode is a deal breaker for me. I'm already heart broken that Cyberpunk 2077 is First person only.

I just have severe motion sickness issues, it's hard for me to play shooter games for a while.

• Mirandel, PlayerSlotAvailable, Ziggie and 1 other like this

JoeyBsmooth

JoeyBsmooth

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I agree with the topic maker. This is literally my first post on this site and I made an account just to see if there would be a 3rd person view. I cannot play games in 1st person anymore and really want to play this game.

• Mirandel and PlayerSlotAvailable like this

VitaminK

VitaminK

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

As long as the movement isn't too crazy in first-person I do not mind it. It is when FOV is limited along with every action you do making the screen bob or shake can also cause motion sickness (Skyrim). From the look of the released footage it doesnt seem too bad. I would love to see third-person option but it is not going to change my mind on whether or not I purchase this game.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts
Please don't make any "optional" features based on anything that wasn't in the original game concept and vision.
  • Sanjid099, Dodo00d, SonicMage117 and 2 others like this

TucoMerc

TucoMerc

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
I find it that a first person perspective is the most immersive for exploration. I can live without third person or/and isometric.

Graavigala85

Graavigala85

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

Please don't make any "optional" features based on anything that wasn't in the original game concept and vision.

Why are you against adding options so that more people could enjoy and actually play the game too?

Edited by Graavigala85, 09 December 2018 - 02:23 AM.

• Stiler, Sanjid099, PantherX14 and 2 others like this

EDK

EDK

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts

Reading this thread made me realized there are way more selfish human being in this world than I expect.

• MagisterTremere likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5520 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@EDK Not that you're wrong in any way, but I couldn't help adjusting your post:

Reading stuff on Internet made me realize that there are way more selfish human beings in this world than I had expected.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 09 December 2018 - 02:54 AM.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts

Why are you against adding options so that more people could enjoy and actually play the game too?

Because it's not possible to cater to everyone and if developers would go this path there would be more "options" than actual game as the resources are always limited.

Not every game have to be your preferred genre. 

PlayerSlotAvailable

PlayerSlotAvailable

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:https://steamcommunity.com/id/playerslotavailable

I am really happy to see so many people asking for this on the forums.  
I am lucky that I can play first person games. I just really don't like it.
A lot of the people posting here don't have a choice. They just can't do it because of motionsickness. I especially hope for their sake that Obsidian adds third person to the game. It would be a shame if a lot of long time Obsidian fans who have played all their other games might be unable to play Outer World with the change in perspective. 

• JoeyBsmooth likes this

MagisterTremere

MagisterTremere

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

I hope Obsidian doesn't go the Cyberpunk 2077 route. Seriously... with Microsoft's support behind them in this day and age, there's no reason to "not" appeal to all customers. All I ask of any developer is to give all of us the desire to play their game and to "PLEASE" optimize their games for each respective platforms. In my opinion, "platform porting" is a bane to the gaming industry. Console games for the console. PC games for the PC!

*PLEASE!*

• Mirandel likes this

MagisterTremere

MagisterTremere

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Reading this thread made me realized there are way more selfish human being in this world than I expect.

I hear you and I agree wholeheartedly!

Everyone should be able to enjoy a developers work. We hope that's why they do what they do!

UrbaNebula

UrbaNebula

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Steam:urbanebula

As someone who plays exclusively in first person, I agree that the developers should include a third person option. If not on release then at least some time afterwards. I don't suffer with motion sickness and I'm even fine with a restricted FOV, I don't really notice it. However, I have a number of friends who would struggle to play this game if it is FPP only, which would be a shame as they are huge Fallout: New Vegas fans.

Edited by UrbaNebula, 09 December 2018 - 09:32 AM.

• ShadySands, Stiler and MagisterTremere like this

Graavigala85

Graavigala85

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

Because it's not possible to cater to everyone and if developers would go this path there would be more "options" than actual game as the resources are always limited.

Not every game have to be your preferred genre. 

Ye its not possible to cater to everyone, but options are always good to have. Or are you against adding mouse+keyboard movement? Colorblind mode? Subtitles? Those are also options and are not needed, but are things that are nice to have

Edited by Graavigala85, 09 December 2018 - 11:04 AM.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2250 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Generally the main reason to not add 3rd person for a 1st person centric game, is how the player character model is rigged. But I'm guessing your party members can do all the things the player can, and that character creation is based on the same system that is more or less used for the NPCs. So a lazy 3rd person camera seems viable, even if the 1st person model is really just a floating pair of hands. The other reason sometimes has to do with not wanting a "dumb" camera for 3rd person, so by not offering it they don't have to throw their support behind a half-baked feature. New Vegas's third person mode was janky at best, but people did seem to appreciate it.

Edited by injurai, 09 December 2018 - 10:12 AM.

• IndiraLightfoot and Mirandel like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5520 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've never used it, but apparently there's a Nexus mod for Borderlands 2, turning the game into 3rd person mode. Perhaps Obsidian should just integrate this option from the start, if it's not too much of a hassle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users