Please give us an optional third person camera.

@EDK Not that you're wrong in any way, but I couldn't help adjusting your post:

Reading stuff on Internet made me realize that there are way more selfish human beings in this world than I had expected.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I am really happy to see so many people asking for this on the forums.  
I am lucky that I can play first person games. I just really don't like it.
A lot of the people posting here don't have a choice. They just can't do it because of motionsickness. I especially hope for their sake that Obsidian adds third person to the game. It would be a shame if a lot of long time Obsidian fans who have played all their other games might be unable to play Outer World with the change in perspective. 

• Like 2

I hope Obsidian doesn't go the Cyberpunk 2077 route. Seriously... with Microsoft's support behind them in this day and age, there's no reason to "not" appeal to all customers. All I ask of any developer is to give all of us the desire to play their game and to "PLEASE" optimize their games for each respective platforms. In my opinion, "platform porting" is a bane to the gaming industry. Console games for the console. PC games for the PC!

*PLEASE!*

• Like 2

As someone who plays exclusively in first person, I agree that the developers should include a third person option. If not on release then at least some time afterwards. I don't suffer with motion sickness and I'm even fine with a restricted FOV, I don't really notice it. However, I have a number of friends who would struggle to play this game if it is FPP only, which would be a shame as they are huge Fallout: New Vegas fans.

Edited by UrbaNebula
  • Like 4

Please don't make any "optional" features based on anything that wasn't in the original game concept and vision.

Why are you against adding options so that more people could enjoy and actually play the game too?

Because it's not possible to cater to everyone and if developers would go this path there would be more "options" than actual game as the resources are always limited.

Not every game have to be your preferred genre. 

Ye its not possible to cater to everyone, but options are always good to have. Or are you against adding mouse+keyboard movement? Colorblind mode? Subtitles? Those are also options and are not needed, but are things that are nice to have

Edited by Graavigala85

Generally the main reason to not add 3rd person for a 1st person centric game, is how the player character model is rigged. But I'm guessing your party members can do all the things the player can, and that character creation is based on the same system that is more or less used for the NPCs. So a lazy 3rd person camera seems viable, even if the 1st person model is really just a floating pair of hands. The other reason sometimes has to do with not wanting a "dumb" camera for 3rd person, so by not offering it they don't have to throw their support behind a half-baked feature. New Vegas's third person mode was janky at best, but people did seem to appreciate it.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 2

I've never used it, but apparently there's a Nexus mod for Borderlands 2, turning the game into 3rd person mode. Perhaps Obsidian should just integrate this option from the start, if it's not too much of a hassle.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Reading this thread made me realized there are way more selfish human being in this world than I expect.

Please don't make any "optional" features based on anything that wasn't in the original game concept and vision.

Why are you against adding options so that more people could enjoy and actually play the game too?

Because it's not possible to cater to everyone and if developers would go this path there would be more "options" than actual game as the resources are always limited.

Not every game have to be your preferred genre. 

This isn't selfish, and it's not something that has to break the bank in terms of dev time/money (if it's just a simple third person for exploration, w/ combat and things still in first person).

The entire point is that it allows more people to enjoy the game and play from the perspective that they prefer to use, not only for those that just like it because they prefer seeing their character/gear but for those that physically have issues with fpp in games and can't actually play them because of this.

The problem here is just if Obsidian want to include an half baked TPP.

Among the already mentioned issues like animations, clipping, etc., you guys need to think that the enviroment and closed spaces maybe are not designed to accomodate a camera following the player.

If the release is scheduled for 2019 they would be forced to a partial redesign of a significant part of the game, and maybe even DLCs, to add a feature that would drastically affect the development, the release date and that maybe wasn't even considered from the beginning. Or was considered and discarded, who knows.

It could be patched in later on after the release but it has to be seen if would be worth it.

However until the implementation of an optional TPP camera can be done within their budget and without compromising too much their vision of the game I see no reason not to include it.

“Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?”

I would imagine allowing both FPV and TPV iisn't just a cosmetic change and it would generally screw up the shooting mechanics, for at least one of the perspectives. The Bethesda Fallout games, for instance, had terrible shooting, and I can only assume the ability to use both perspectives was part of it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think Dowling said something along the lines of 'probs not in our budget, soz' didn't he?

OK found it. https://imgur.com/a/0Ty2I24

Great digging, Chairchucker! Yeah, we prolly won't get a 3rd person perspective in this game, but, like he says, in its sequel (or perhaps in some hefty DLC later on).

I don't know how much important it will be in this game - if it will not be open world, but generally it is important for RPG players to have 3rd person - not only because of sickness or like in my case - I have FOV 180, so telling me I should be immersed in FTP is like running around with a helmet half blind feeling "immersed", but also - first person is for players who play themselves, but 3rd person is for players who play someone else and by seeing their avatar running around they can roleplay that character better - they are immersed in that character or something.

Also players can be desperate already - Kingdom come was in first person, Cyberpunk will be in first person, all kind of small / indie games like Bards tale IV are in first person, now they are used from Bethesda games on 3rd person so they did expect to have the same with Obsidian. 

So I hope if the game will be successful and players will still want that, I hope for some enhanced edition. 

• Like 1

I would imagine allowing both FPV and TPV iisn't just a cosmetic change and it would generally screw up the shooting mechanics, for at least one of the perspectives. The Bethesda Fallout games, for instance, had terrible shooting, and I can only assume the ability to use both perspectives was part of it.

That was not the reason for it, Bethesda fallouts did not use shooting mechanics like "you point, you hit" it was more if your stats say you will miss, you will miss even if you are 1inch away from the enemy. NewVegas added actual aiming and using sights, so they are capable of doing it properly even when using ****ty engine

• Like 1

If we are locked in first person for the entirety of the game then I want to reiterate my hope for good field of vision options

Yeah, this.

I don't mind 1st person gameplay at all, but do not lock the FoV to some narrow cone. I can't stand that because it never feels right to me. Humans have peripheral vision and 1st person at the typical game fixed fov (when there's no slider) always makes me feel like something's wrong.

I'd also love for a 1st person to be able to look down at their own legs/feet gosh darnit, do these chrs. have non-flexible necks? Yes yes it's not practical I suppose, but it's so weird. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If we are locked in first person for the entirety of the game then I want to reiterate my hope for good field of vision options

Yeah, this.

I don't mind 1st person gameplay at all, but do not lock the FoV to some narrow cone. I can't stand that because it never feels right to me. Humans have peripheral vision and 1st person at the typical game fixed fov (when there's no slider) always makes me feel like something's wrong.

I'd also love for a 1st person to be able to look down at their own legs/feet gosh darnit, do these chrs. have non-flexible necks? Yes yes it's not practical I suppose, but it's so weird. :biggrin:

I second this.

“Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?”