Please give us an optional third person camera.

Wouldnt it mean a LOT more animation work etc for the just to do a 3rd person cam?

I'm fine with just 1st person, but if a lot of people want 3rd person, I hope for their sake they put it in the game.

Generally when it comes to games with a first person perspective there's two ways they are animated. You can do a fully realized full-animation for the characters body (like ARMA for instance). This is more work but it allows you to better realize the characters body in first person (IE being able to see your feet and other things) on top of allowing a better third/first person option. Then there's the way many first-person only games do it, basically a "cheat" and do animations in such a way that you cut corners and only need to make the animations work in that specific viewpoint, and since there's no 3rd person view you don't go through the trouble of animating the actual body of the players character. This takes less time/work generally but at the cost of requiring more work if you wanted to provide a full 3rd person view or incorporate the full body in animations the player would see them in.

What does that look like? Here is a good example to show you what I mean:

eHb6TWK.gif

Now there is a compromise in between these, that would be allowing us to use third person only while exploring (basically while walking/running around the world). In most games the rigging/models are shared between npc's and the player character, in turn animations and things are shared as well for basic things like this too. So the animation work for a third person walk/run should be something that can more easily be done. The main work in this regard would just be general clipping and model checks for gear that your character can wear.

So when you go into dialogue or combat the game would automatically place you back into first person and when it's over it'd pull back out into third person. This would allow many third person players to still enjoy certain aspects of the game that they prefer in third person as well as help alleviate the motion sickness and things that are brought on from first person in some players (at least help them take a break from first person and not be stuck in it 100% of the time).

[...]which shouldn't be that huge of a timesink to make available since those animations should be fully modeled in third person already (since npc's will use them)[...]

I don't support them adding a third-person perspective (TPP) camera precisely because I think this is incorrect, and would require a significant amount of manpower to implement correctly. Manpower that would be better spent supporting core game systems and content.

The assumptions that all actions available to the player will be used and thus animated and rigged such that they map perfectly onto CHARNAME's paperdoll avatar is naive, as is the assumption that all wearable items by the player will already have player-appropriate textures. Add to that the issue of clipping planes and z-fighting when dealing with multiple items sharing the same space on the player's body, I simply don't think your assumption is correct.

If it was a freebie or easy, I expect they would do it. There's a not-insignificant amount of players who love playing dress-up in open world games with a TPP, and I'm sure they would enjoy capturing their purchase as well.

OE, please spend your time on something else.

In game development when it comes to making humanoid characters and such generally the same rigging is shared between npc's and the player character (which greatly helps save time/money), thus the animations that are done on npc's are something that is shared too, since the player will be able to see npc's do said animations they need to look correct from a third person perspective because the player will see the npc's doing those animations, you can't "cheat" in the same way you can when it comes to say, doing first person unique animations that aren't shared between the npc's and player character.

We are literally talking about walking and running animations, that's it (combat/dialogue and such can switch to first person, so they wouldn't have to re-animate the more unique things the player does that npc's might not do). The main thing they'd have to work on would be the gear and making sure it looks right on the player character when it comes to major clipping issues and textures etc. However again, things that are shared between npcs and player characters in that regard can help here too. IF an npc can wear the same clothing/armor then the texture work and such will have to be done to see it up close and from all perspectives.

It would then just be a matter of the clipping and other issues that might arise if the player customization allows for some wacky customization that npc's don't get access to or use.

Also you seem to REALLY underestimate the amount of us that like to play in third person, even in games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout, there's a huge amount of people that play in third person or switch between views depending on what they are doing (IE explore in third person, use combat in first).

You can google the topic and find that there's a decent split of players that play in third or use it, it's not some minuscule tiny amount either.

Edited by Stiler
  • Like 5

Also hope it will have FoV sliders/settings. That's usually my biggest problem with FPP in games, I find many of them overly cramped

This ideally should fix a lot of the motion sickness people have. The cramped viewing causes the discomfort. Widening the FOV should fix SOME people's problems.

• Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

Was so upset over the news even missed the obvious thread and started my own. FoV sliders do help some of us but it is far from a panacea, in many cases this is not enough. Optional third person view saved many Bethesda games for me, but not many companies bother to do such courtesy to motion sensitive gamers :(

• Like 1

If we are locked in first person for the entirety of the game then I want to reiterate my hope for good field of vision options

If I can't play with a 90-105 FOV then I will be miffed, thanks for bringing it up. This is now at the top of my list for priorities. I'd imagine Unreal already has the faculties for this setting, Obsidian probably just needs to hook up the options and role out some UI to select the values. Let's hope they don't skimp.

• Like 2

Maybe it's not the game for all of you then. Plenty of third person games out there for you to play and plenty more to come.

It is pretty obvious with the trailer that they are trying to appeal to the fans of Fallout New Vegas.  

A game which had a third person view available.  

One that many took advantage of. Myself included. 

• Like 1

I'm here just for say thanks obsidian and thanks Leonard Boyarsky/Tim Cain because after this ****ing **** of Fallout 76  :banghead:  I can say now I have my new real fallout :w00t:  not the same game of course but when we saw the trailer we recognize the touch of creators and developers of fallout.  :dancing:  Thanks a lot.

Nice won Obsdidian.

This narcissistic fascination with the third-person perspective that allows one to ogle oneself has always baffled me.

1) this isn't looking in a mirror, people are not looking at themselves but at their creations (many roleplayers create/play as characters completely unlike themselves)

2) third person viewpoint gives players a better view of such things as the character's stance and surroundings,  how close people/things are, their footing (their feet), etc

3) see other posts for people who suffer from "motion-sickness" from first-person view point (I believe it is caused by the perception of movement without actually moving)

• Like 3

Bump! 3rd person must be a ton of work with animations and clipping and all sort of things that aren't easy, but as a big Obsidian and RPG fan, I think its important for many reasons:

1) Accessibility- All though not always, I sometimes get motion sick and dizzy in first person view. I have two friends who wont play first person games because it affects them so badly

2) Role Playing- Seeing our character visually represented and able to express their personality / idenity through their appearance is extremely core to RPG's in my opinion.

I have faith in Obsidian and am still extremely excited for this game no matter what, hopefully hearing enough people express interest in the option for 3rd person can encourage them to reconsider it! <3

• Like 1

I don't want to sound petty at all, but not having a third person mode is a deal breaker for me. I'm already heart broken that Cyberpunk 2077 is First person only.

I just have severe motion sickness issues, it's hard for me to play shooter games for a while.

• Like 5

As long as the movement isn't too crazy in first-person I do not mind it. It is when FOV is limited along with every action you do making the screen bob or shake can also cause motion sickness (Skyrim). From the look of the released footage it doesnt seem too bad. I would love to see third-person option but it is not going to change my mind on whether or not I purchase this game.