Please give us an optional third person camera.

Hello, just saw the world premiere and loved everything about the game, except for the fact that it seems to be a forced first person only rpg.

Please allow us to use an optional third person view, even if it's a simple one that is only usable outside of combat/dialogue (so basically while you're exploring and such) which shouldn't be that huge of a timesink to make available since those animations should be fully modeled in third person already (since npc's will use them).

There are a lot of us who prefer to play in third person, even in games like TES/Fallout who aren't known for having the best third person cameras and of course Vampire: TMB which I played in third person as well.

One of the most fun aspects of an rpg for me is being able to visually customize my character and then as your go throughout the game and get new loot and gear seeing how your character visually changes throughout the game. This aspect is GREATLY diminished when you're stuck in first person view and basically never see this kind of thing at all (like Borderlands for instance).

Then you have another more severe aspect of this, there are people that literally get sick from first person view and third person can greatly help them from getting sick while playing the game.

Please at least think about it, it would be something that would be greatly appreciated by some of us.

• Like 16

I came here to ask the same , i cant play in first person for more than 10 min. my head start to hurt , i really hope we have a option to put the game in third person , thats how i paly Fallout 4 and Skyrim , i walk around and explore in 3rd person and only enter 1st person in combat. Anyway , amazing trailer , hope the game is a masterpiece.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if this was already in the game.  I imagine they'd like for you to be able to admire your own avatar.  Also, there's a bit in the trailer that maaaaybe implies it: when the old guy is saying "that's why I sought you out" and we see the back of someone in a "HOPE" spacesuit.  I mean, it could be anything, but the framing of the moment suggested it was supposed to be the player.

Somebody is probably going to argue me on this (since it's the Obsidian forums) but I'm pretty sure the trailer did show the thrid person perspective or a glimpse of it at 0m 56s

Yeah, so pretty sure third person is in the game :) Reveal trailers don't typically have a camera like that on an npc hehe I expect a third person camera very reminiscent of that in Fallout 4.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Somebody is probably going to argue me on this (since it's the Obsidian forums) but I'm pretty sure the trailer did show the thrid person perspective or a glimpse of it at 0m 56s

Yeah, so pretty sure third person is in the game :) Reveal trailers don't typically have a camera like that on an npc hehe I expect a third person camera very reminiscent of that in Fallout 4.

I hope you are correct, but the info and things refer to it as a "first person sci-fi rpg," hopefully that's just a choice you can choose in game how you want to play it.

I'm doubtful atm if the game has face/hair customization? It could be helmet-ed protag in perma-first-person-perspective.

In the New Gameplay Today video they talk about how the customization is really good,  but don't mention a third person option.

I would also love to see a third-person camera added, since playing in first person after a while can give me a pretty good headache. 

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Just wanting to throw in my 2 cents too. I would also love being able to switch to third person mode. I played New Vegas in third person like 95% of the time except when sniping. People have already listed many reasons why (motion sickness is a one for me too) but I also find it helps so much for situational awareness in melee encounters.

I do wonder how hard or easy this would be to implement. Obviously Fallout does it already but even a game like Borderlands or Destiny have third person modes that are playable and enjoyable that you can glitch or mod into. 

I'm so excited about The Outer Worlds and hoping you guys hear our pleas here. 

• Like 1

[...]which shouldn't be that huge of a timesink to make available since those animations should be fully modeled in third person already (since npc's will use them)[...]

I don't support them adding a third-person perspective (TPP) camera precisely because I think this is incorrect, and would require a significant amount of manpower to implement correctly. Manpower that would be better spent supporting core game systems and content.

The assumptions that all actions available to the player will be used and thus animated and rigged such that they map perfectly onto CHARNAME's paperdoll avatar is naive, as is the assumption that all wearable items by the player will already have player-appropriate textures. Add to that the issue of clipping planes and z-fighting when dealing with multiple items sharing the same space on the player's body, I simply don't think your assumption is correct.

If it was a freebie or easy, I expect they would do it. There's a not-insignificant amount of players who love playing dress-up in open world games with a TPP, and I'm sure they would enjoy capturing their purchase as well.

OE, please spend your time on something else.

• Like 2

This narcissistic fascination with the third-person perspective that allows one to ogle oneself has always baffled me.

Nah, it makes sense especially on RPG. If you customise your character (looks, armour) it's nice to actually see them. But it seems Obsidian is going full 1st person which means that adding 3rd would be probably lots of work (is character even rendered? Animation? Armor fitting character? Collision? Etc.).

This narcissistic fascination with the third-person perspective that allows one to ogle oneself has always baffled me.

obviously you dont play female characters then

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"