Burp.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I am sure Obsidian knows that Fallout New Vegas is still one of the most modded games out there, and I doubt they would not support mods with this one, however this is on a completely different engine and from what I have gathered, without the dev tools, UE can be a bit of a pain to create mods for.

Still, it would be awesome to have some kind of confirmation from the developers.

I think it's pretty well proven modding extends the life of games. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

There will be No mod support in the game. MikeyDowling of PR just confirmed in the Discord. Dt_zAgSWsAEviOk.jpg
Edit: Note that there is a part 1 to this which was posted 10 minutes earlier in the same Discord chat. See Ethics Gradient's post. But this was the reply given to the question about modding. 

Edited by PlayerSlotAvailable
  • Like 1

It's nice to know the team and company sees The Outer World as an IP with a future. Let's hope Microsoft feels the same. Apparently they are already ramping up the project for Microsoft, and the lead programmer is now on that project.

Given the above screenshot, the full text from Mikey was:

One thing to keep in mind with expectations is to remember that this isn't a Triple-A budget game. There is a lot that we want the game to have (full mod support, third-persom camera, etc.), but it ultimately comes down to resources and time. We know there are things the community wants and we will keep an eye on that for potential sequels. We may not be able to get everything out of the gate on the first game, but hope you enjoy what the team is very hard at work on creating for you.

While we'd love to, we don't have plans to support mods. The game is being made in UE 4, so it's not impossible for us to see things from our creative community. Just a bit more difficult. Again, with time and resources, definitely something we'd look into for future sequels. Similar to how Pillars I and Deadfire went.

• Like 6

That's disappointing but hardly a show stopper. I'm still in. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I am sure Obsidian knows that Fallout New Vegas is still one of the most modded games out there, and I doubt they would not support mods with this one, however this is on a completely different engine and from what I have gathered, without the dev tools, UE can be a bit of a pain to create mods for.

Still, it would be awesome to have some kind of confirmation from the developers.

My immediate concern is their affiliation with Take Two. Who isn't exactly well disposed to the modding community given their recent legal experience with the likes of Black Hat GTAO modders the likes of Menyoo....

My immediate concern is their affiliation with Take Two. Who isn't exactly well disposed to the modding community given their recent legal experience with the likes of Black Hat GTAO modders the likes of Menyoo....

I can't think of very many instances where developers get too bent out of shape about modding single-player-only games.  It's the mods that affect online competitiveness, fair play, in-game economies, or system stability that bring out the lawyers.  If any fans were to develop mods for TOW, I'm not sure how the comparison to GTA would be similar.

As far as this game is concerned, the official stance seems to be along the lines of:

Sorry we didn't have full mod support on our roadmap for this game, but it would be totally awesome if fans are hyped enough to make it happen anyway.

Even if they state that they won't provide any mod support, the Unreal Engine 4 is very easy to mod in general. Modders will always find a way to implement easy modding tools in the near future

Edited by Sanjid099

OTOH Civilisation series traditionally has near full mod support, and it's 2k as well. As Ethics Gradient noted, they don't like mods that eat into their bottom line or product perception, not mods in general.

As others have said, there's a big difference between no mod support and no mods. So long as Obsidian doesn't obscure the file formats (as did happen in Alpha Protocol, for example, meaning pretty much zero modding possible) officially unsupported and responsibility for disclaimed so don't ask us for help if you stuff up class mods seem fairly likely given UE4.

Kingdom Come Deliverance is not a AAA game and has no official mod support, but there are over 500 mods at Nexus (not all of them worthy of being called that, but still...).

One of those mods is a TPV camera that works well for when the player is on horseback, a horrible gaming situation to be in if you are prone to motion sickness.  However, once off the horse the TPV looks terrible: the avatar animations are awful and control of the avatar is not adequate.  So one can see how much work needs to go into a TPV, I appreciate that, but doesn't make it more palatable as a player prone to motion sickness.

What I imagine is the case here, is that a TPV mod can be made and not be perfect but help us out.  But if the devs say they will provide a TPV and it isn't perfectly executed, well, there will be hell to pay...