random encounters in nekataka

Gromnir

Question

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102849-no-random-encounters-in-neketaka/

this is not a new issue, but it persists in 4.0.  about 50% of Gromnir's characters are unable to ever trigger nekataka random encounters.  have tested running back and forth between nekataka maps at various points o' the game.  dozens o' map transitions w/o a random encounter.  other characters get a random encounter after a few transitions, or eventually.  

what triggers random encounters?  

sidenote: in 4.0 we did get the ship random encounter for orlan's head when entering the city... occured while travelling between ship and serpent's crown.

again, this is not a new issue as numerous others have posted similar queries in the past.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=nekataka+random+encounters+bug&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS699US699&oq=nekataka+random+encounters+bug&aqs=chrome..69i57.17047j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

any progress?  can't imagine developers is unaware.  converse, if you have given up the ghost on this issue, let us know that too. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

16 answers to this question

Huh, come to think of it I don't think I've had any either, at least not those that aren't related to quests. I remember from a previous uncompleted playthrough encounters with looters and burning houses, as well as skuldr and a little girl that gives you a sword.

But not in the 30+ hours of my last playthrough. Hope it's fixed :/ worst bugs are ones that make ya miss content, imo

Hey everyone!

We have been testing with multiple saves in-house and are able to get random encounters to trigger around Neketaka.  The rate at which they occur is relatively low so as not to inundate folks with nonstop encounters like we had during the early stages of development and release.  There are also prerequisites for many of the encounters that must be fulfilled in order to trigger them to have that chance to occur.  Also note that if you run into an encounter and resolve it, it will not occur again so as not to make the story seem like the same things are continuously occurring over and over again.

We still have folks testing these while they continue to do full playthroughs during their tests on DLC content, to see if they start to run into this issue.  If they do and can get a reliable reproduction case, then they will absolutely get a fix for it.  If you have a save file where you are confident that a particular encounter should be firing, but isn't for some reason, feel free to send that to me at support@obsidian.net along with your forum user name and a link to this thread to be used as a reference and I'll send it off to the team to use during their investigation.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

• Like 2

Tried to get the griffin blade encounter in neketaka and spent about an hour jumping back and forth between different locations within neketaka and the gullet and got nothing at all :/

Update: I completed the Hasongo part of the main questline and now suddenly I am getting encounters non-stop. Cant even move inside Neketaka without triggering one. It seems to me that the encounter chance is affected by your progress in the main storyline or something like that. Unsure if this was the case before the 4.0 patch. 

Edited by Ciphys

Hey everyone!

We have been testing with multiple saves in-house and are able to get random encounters to trigger around Neketaka.  The rate at which they occur is relatively low so as not to inundate folks with nonstop encounters like we had during the early stages of development and release.  There are also prerequisites for many of the encounters that must be fulfilled in order to trigger them to have that chance to occur.  Also note that if you run into an encounter and resolve it, it will not occur again so as not to make the story seem like the same things are continuously occurring over and over again.

We still have folks testing these while they continue to do full playthroughs during their tests on DLC content, to see if they start to run into this issue.  If they do and can get a reliable reproduction case, then they will absolutely get a fix for it.  If you have a save file where you are confident that a particular encounter should be firing, but isn't for some reason, feel free to send that to me at support@obsidian.net along with your forum user name and a link to this thread to be used as a reference and I'll send it off to the team to use during their investigation.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

I posted this near-endgame save a while back -- almost no random encounters have ever triggered on it despite having completed almost all content:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102849-no-random-encounters-in-neketaka/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2104259

I think it may have occurred because I did the Cornett of Waves quest in an odd order very early on in this run.

I am similarly afflicted.  Maybe the RNG hates me or maybe it is just something about how I play the game, but I've run 15-20 characters through Nekataka and in all that time I've had 5 random encounters total (Griffon Blade once, fight slimes twice, follow dudes with magic figurine twice).  Anyway, here is a save from one of my earlier games which has had none of these -- https://1drv.ms/u/s!AozQ0n6VaNEXjFV6vg4zapgOnpPq

Hope it helps.

The one after Hasongo isn't random however (I get that with no problem).  I also get the other non-random ones (during Cornet's Call, during the one with the satchel, the one for Serafan). It is only the random encounters that basically never happen for me (of the 5 I mentioned above, 3 were during the same run).

I had this same issue for 50 hours and all the way up until level 20. I actually didn't even know that random events existed in Neketaka until I read about the Griffin's blade and decided to try and get it.

I actually went back to an earlier save (around 45 hours in) to complete the Family Pride quest cleanly, and went to actually meet with the Principi in Dunnage and Deadlight. I had previously completed Blow the Man Down, but had never went to Dunnage to speak with anyone there or respond to the missive to go back to meet with Aeldys.

On the main quest I've been at the point to go to Magran's Teeth for quite some time now and have primarily been clearing out all of the bounties, map completion and side quests.

I don't know if this is working as intended or not, since the criteria for these random encounters doesn't appear to be documented, but this was my experience with it. It seems like you're expected to at least meet with all of the faction leaders and open up their quest lines before these events show up, even if you don't want to be a pirate :). Otherwise there may be some other aspect of the situation that I've not accounted for...

Have people who think they are lacking random encounters tried this with 4.0.1 or moving further along the critical path?

Tried to get the griffin blade encounter in neketaka and spent about an hour jumping back and forth between different locations within neketaka and the gullet and got nothing at all :/

Update: I completed the Hasongo part of the main questline and now suddenly I am getting encounters non-stop. Cant even move inside Neketaka without triggering one. It seems to me that the encounter chance is affected by your progress in the main storyline or something like that. Unsure if this was the case before the 4.0 patch. 

I had a party where I didn't think I was bitten by "no random encounters" issue, but shortly after 4.0 or 4.0.1 dropped I started having something similar to what Ciphys says, where something like the first 3-4 times I tried to leave a Nekataka zone I would get a random encounter. It was like nonstop, and none of my other parties (who have likely not gotten hit by the "no random encounters" issue, since I remember getting things like griffin's blade for them) have ever gotten such a density of random encounters before. So if I was bitten by the no-random-encounters issue, then either a) 4.0 or 4.0.1 fixed it and/or b) I advanced the main critical path at some point and that's what unlocks a bunch of random encounters (possibly in concert with something that changed in 4.0 or 4.0.1).

TL;DR: when in doubt, go do Hasongo or Ashen Maw and make sure you are on 4.0.1 or later.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

My most recent game (started after 4.0.1) is not showing the issue (yea!) so maybe this is at least somewhat fixed.  In fact I got a random encounter I had never seen before (not that I've seen many TBH), so that was refreshing.

FWIW, in this game I haven't progressed beyond just doing the palace and some the standard fetch/sneak stuff in Nekataka.  So random :).

Well I have this issue, like after Ashen Maw none of random events trigger. When I exited teh game and launched it again, I got the Assasin's so I could progress with Crown at least, but remaining events never occured, but some of them actually did occure before Hasongo, so I think issue might be based on main quest progression.