Alchemy & Poison PL for Druid

brasilgringo

Question

In some testing, it does not appear that Alchemy skill (20) or +PL for Poison is affecting Druid spell damage that seems to have keywords for Poison -- or to be specific, spells keyworded as having also keyword "counter:antidote" (Insect Swarm, Vile Thorns, Venombloom).

Could Obsidian please comment if Alchemy should affect poison damage from Druid spells as such, and also if +PL Poison items (Helm of Grotto Deep, Spider Silk Robe) should also affect poison damage from these spells?  And if so, how much / what is the scaling for Alchemy now.

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

This was fixed. Alchemy is supposed to only affect potions, drugs and poisons, not abilites.

Direct Poison Power Levels (e.g. from items like Spider Silk Robes) do affect spells that are tagged with "Poison".

It's a change that was introduced pre 4.0 beta with a previous patch. So you will most likey not get an answer here. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Direct Poison Power Levels (e.g. from items like Spider Silk Robes) do affect spells that are tagged with "Poison".

the Druid spells are tagged with "Counters: Antidote", which I believe means they are Poison, at least that's what people said in the past.   Do they explicitly have to have Poison keyworded now?

I didn't check. Maybe not. In the past several abilities did profit from stuff although they didn't have the proper keyword in the UI.

It's easy to test though. Make a druid with the console and give him a spell that you think should work (e.g. Venombloom) and check the tooltip in the ability bar. It tells you the bonus from Power Levels. If this changes when you put on/off the Poison-Bonus item then it works.

• Like 1

It's easy to test though. Make a druid with the console and give him a spell that you think should work (e.g. Venombloom) and check the tooltip in the ability bar. It tells you the bonus from Power Levels. If this changes when you put on/off the Poison-Bonus item then it works.

I couldn't see any bonus to power level shown when I moused over the tool tip, but i looked at damage and duration, and they didn't seem to change in any meaningful way.  I moused over a druid with +1 PL water from watershaper focus, on water keyword spells, and still didn't see anything specific in the tool tip about PL .. though, again, damage etc. changed.

If you hover over the dmg of a spell (coming from the ability bar!) it should show you a percentage value based on Power Level. Duration as well.

Effects on weapon attacks are harder to see because the base damage is increased without any hint in tooltips or so (you'd have to monitor the dmg rolls in the combat log).

Impact on spells on the other hand is visible in the UI.

Edited by Boeroer

The spider silks robe (with a +2 PL to poison bonus) do not improve the "Plague of Insects" druid spell even though Immunity to poison grants immunity to that spell.

Tbh, I think it's weird that immunity to poison grants immunity to the various insect based spells but they are definitely already very strong spells so maybe things should stay the way they are for balance reasons.

• Like 1

The current Keyword system is a mess and broken. Many, many keywords have been missing, like Plague of Insects, as you mentioned, doesn't have Poison keyword while this spell is perfectly blocked by Poison Immunity.

Edited by Hoo
  • Like 1