Obsidian must carry the torch

To hell with all you fallout fanboys, kotor 2 is gonna rock and kotor 2 is probably what they are making. So pipe down! No just kidding. But seriously, the first comment is a completely biased remark. He talks of a "farmed out sequel" and then inserts his own Fallout fanboy plug, thereby contradicting everything he just said.

Yo, don't be dissin us raving lunatics becuz he duznt reprazent da fallout fan BASS! alzo i dunt want any trubble of u interpl@y fanboiz elze i be buztin sum hedz!!!1

CONPRENDAY?

ok, I've not been around long enough, Mega, to know, but PLEASE tell me you're just messin' around with that beautiful spelling...

THing i s I don't want Obsidian to make a Fallout game, or a BG gasme, or even a KotOR game. I want them to make a game that will give themselves a particular identity that will signify their style of CRPGs.

An agreeable point of view to be sure.

I think most people would like their favourite series/story arc to be continued but I think Obsidian should produce something unique that will define their ability and potential.

Something for a mature audience would be nice.

To hell with all you fallout fanboys, kotor 2 is gonna rock and kotor 2 is probably what they are making. So pipe down! No just kidding. But seriously, the first comment is a completely biased remark. He talks of a "farmed out sequel" and then inserts his own Fallout fanboy plug, thereby contradicting everything he just said.

Yo, don't be dissin us raving lunatics becuz he duznt reprazent da fallout fan BASS! alzo i dunt want any trubble of u interpl@y fanboiz elze i be buztin sum hedz!!!1

CONPRENDAY?

ok, I've not been around long enough, Mega, to know, but PLEASE tell me you're just messin' around with that beautiful spelling...

sure thing

mebbe

>*

Single player CRPGs are almost as bad shape as they were before Fallout and Baldur's Gate circa 1996. In that time FPS (like Duke Nukem 3d and Quake) and RTS (Warcraft II, C&C Red Alert) were the hit games and only insane dev team would do old skool RPG. Good thing there were few insane devs...

Now the threat is bit different and maybe even more severe. Games cost WAY more to develop than back in year 1996. PC game sales are nowhere near console game sales and PC CRPG have even more grim sales figures. Basically task is very difficult, since todays gamers don't like old skool PC CRPGs. They like short, steamlined, fast hack-and-slash action "RPGs". CRPG is realy big risk.

But not all hope is gone. KotOR was a great game, but it could have been so much more if Bioware would have designed it specifically for the PC. Or to imaginary console with mouse + keyboard and +256MB memory. Maybe we'll see new CRPG peak after next generation consoles are released.

Will we see mature (and I don't mean just gore but mature themes like sexuality and philosophical/morality issues) games like Fallout or Planescape:Torment in the future ? I don't think so, because times have changed too much. Old hardcore gamers are just tiny niche anymore and they just can't buy enough games in order to cover the development costs.

Of course I'm more than happy if I'm wrong and OE or any other dev team can prove me wrong.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

about cyberpunk...anachronox...one great game...I think its cyberpunk...intense story...characters with a past, with past relations (comparable to pst)...and funny...a lot of mature (and some childish) humor...creative...the japanese (console) way of gameplay might be disturbing...but the rest...one of the greatest...

I agree with this, Anachronox is comparable to PS:T in terms of NPC depth and world detail, albiet done in a completely different way. This is why when asked to list my top 3 RPGs of all time I say Fallout, Anachronox, PS:T. If you've never played Anachronox but consider yourself a CRPG fan you really, really REALLY should. You won't be able to go back to KOTOR afterwards.

It's one of the reasons I was excited about Josh Sawyer working at Midway because Tom Hall - creator of Anachronox - has moved there, and figured Midway might give him some cash to make another similar RPG.

Single player CRPGs are almost as bad shape as they were before Fallout and Baldur's Gate circa 1996. In that time FPS (like Duke Nukem 3d and Quake) and RTS (Warcraft II, C&C Red Alert) were the hit games and only insane dev team would do old skool RPG. Good thing there were few insane devs...

We were walking through the valley and we are doing it again, just waiting when our time comes. As you said it, there are ALWAYS developers with (insane) visions. That is the good thing: A lot of developers simply ARE hardcore gamers. They might do some games to bring in the money but I think the guys at Obsidian would always prefer a brand-new PCRPG to a FPS. Gives me a little bit of hope.

Well, for a -really- nice cyberpunk crpg, take a look at BloodNet. Vampires, hackers, evil megacorps, badass gangs, jetset clubs... what more could you want in a game?

No sensless violence (ie there is a reason for all fights, if any, in the game), a slightly odd take on cyberspace, and lots and lots of character interaction.

Another game not to miss when kicking around ideas for a new crpg is the old, but truly great, Darklands. Here we don't have very much of a story, but the game did well without it (well, there was a plot of sorts behind the scenes, but it was more of a really long quest). Open ended medieval gritty germans. And preciously scarce magic, if you could consider those elements magic at all. A classic, but unfortunately it can be a bit difficult to get it to run on newer systems.

No. This is Obsidian's first game. Shocking, I know. Most of the employees, and athe owbers as well worked on and had a big part at BIS; but this is Obsidian's first game - whatever game it is.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't care what it is, but it would be nice if they didn't do a "2" or "3" of anything including Fallout 3. I would rather see them make there own name in the business. So, I actually agree with vis.

but, I'll admit doing a kotr 2 would be a low risk project, and considering Obsidian has generated zero profits up to this point it would be wise if they jumped on someone else's bandwagon for it's first title. So, I give them a little leeway on their first title, as they gotta make some money first.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Let's hope they do their first game better than Troika (also ex BIS and Interplay) did with their first game Arcanum. Don't try to do too much. Stay focused. Single player only. No toolset. Pick one system RWP or TB and just do one system. Of course, if this is KOTOR2 we already know which way all of these would go.

I know you like Arcanum, Volourn, but it did have its faults.

Actually, 17 or 18 if not more employees of Obsidian are ex Black Isle employees.

Chris Avellone was the lead designer of Planescape Torment, Feargus of Fallout 2.

Volourn knows this I am sure but this is still their first game as a separate and smaller company.

That's Baldur's Gate 3.

Neither the story, nor the game-engine, has anything to do with the game Baldur's Gate. Unless they decide to slap the Bg name on the cover, it's not Baldur's Gate 3.

/me shrugs helplessly

.. shortc.JPG

.. snif.. .. .. :lol:

Which they were going to do since Black Isle only had the rights to publish D&D RPGs with Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale on the cover. Now they can't even publish Baldur's Gate on the PC and probably not Icewind Dale either.

Without knowing the entire story, it's hard to say that there wasn't some tie ins into the first games somewhere into the game.

I think most of the blame could fall on Herve Caen and the marketing department at Interplay for opting to go with the [DOUBLE] extension of their Baldur's Gate license for the Console instead of going with a [sINGLE] extention for that very license and a single extention for Baldur's Gate for the PC. If they had gone with a single extention, we'd probably be playing Jefferson right now and Obsidian wouldn't be around. I'm not sure if the alternate history is such a good thing because I very much prefer to see guys like Feargus and Avellone strike it out on their own without some marketing guy at IPLY breathing down their necks.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

I think most of the blame could fall on Herve Caen and the marketing department at Interplay for opting to go with the [DOUBLE] extension of their Baldur's Gate license for the Console instead of going with a [sINGLE] extention for that very license and a single extention for Baldur's Gate for the  PC.

I think Herve should shave the mustache and let OE fix Jeff. herve2.JPG

Well, Microsoft is working with Bioware. It wouldn't be that far of a stretch and Microsoft has been known to work with developers and just publish games. I will say this much, I rather see Obsidian publish under Microsoft than Atari or Electronic Arts.

I rather see Obsidian publish under Blizzard ent. :rolleyes:)