RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Kinda silly premise for a boycott isn't it though. I mean, if signing up to EPIC is such a hassle that it's doing to keep your from playing the game, congratulations, you are already boycotting the game. You don't need to make a big fuss about it. 

Is it though? There are plenty of reasons for people to not want to sign up for their store. I can see people not wanting another piece of bloatware on their computer.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well well well, wasn’t it nice, when all you needed for a game to play on your PC was DOS or Windows? That’s the butterfly effect of your unrational Half-Life 2 purchase years and years ago ;) Now deal with the consequences ;)

• Like 3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Kinda silly premise for a boycott isn't it though. I mean, if signing up to EPIC is such a hassle that it's doing to keep your from playing the game, congratulations, you are already boycotting the game. You don't need to make a big fuss about it.

It's not hard to install it and what not but people understandably, do not want 100 launchers on their systems, they also want the social aspect (achievements, sharing screenshots, badges, etc.)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Well well well, wasn’t it nice, when all you needed for a game to play on your PC was DOS or Windows? That’s the butterfly effect of your unrational Half-Life 2 purchase years and years ago ;) Now deal with the consequences ;)

Haha! I got soooo much hate for my dislike of Steam. I'll admit to get a bit of warm fuzzies now. :p

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So... What did the Metro Exodus devs expect to happen when they announced they'll not be releasing the game on Steam on the last minute? Love and cuddles?

Well well well, wasn’t it nice, when all you needed for a game to play on your PC was DOS or Windows?

... And DirectX 9 ...c?. Oh wait, no, that's kinda glitchy, eeeh... What do I install to make the damn thing work!? Oh, right, the OpenGL installation is broken, so I just... Right, OpenGL doesn't support DirectDraw, so I'm stuck without it? Okay, let's see what's wrong with my Windows installation that it refuses DX now...

... And don't even get me started on the amount of hoops I've had to go through for a whole bunch of DOS games. But yes, you definitely didn't need other software, specific drivers or weird system configuration going for older games to work properly, no sir :-P

If I love something about modern clients, it's that installation procedures got semi-unified (now there's one per client as opposed to one per game at the very least) and vast majority of installation and configuration is fully automated, so yes, I need a piece of software on my computer to do things for me - which is the whole point of software. "But DRM!" Yea, I dislike DRM either and will get a game on GOG whenever the opportunity presents itself. Which doesn't make gaming clients the source of all evil. Quite the contrary actually, and we've yet to reach the horribleness that was SecuROM or StarForce again. (But Denuvo! It fries SSDs! - No, it doesn't.)

That’s the butterfly effect of your unrational Half-Life 2 purchase years and years ago ;)

Yes, because online-only is a unique idea born in Valve's head which would totally not have happened with other games/publishers. Half-Life 2 is the sole game to blame for a shift in gaming that totally wasn't inevitable ever since digital distribution started rising up entirely besides whatever Valve was doing. Edited by Fenixp

It's all about candor and what the tone infers.

"If we make the same number of sales on a platform that yields higher margins, we'll make more money. That's why this platform is your only choice. If our PC enthusiast fans that made us what we are today, don't even buy our game in protest of the platform, the say goodbye to use making a game for the PC market again!"

vs.

"We are a small studio that struggles loosing 30% of our hard earned compensation to highwayman baron, please consider joining us on a more fruitful platform to support us in our future endeavors."

Steam is **** too... Why would I want to have to go through any additional programs to play games.

You don't.

Unless you're talking about Ubisoft games, which you can start on Uplay without Steam even being open anyway. Otherwise, never had to go through any additional programs to start a game.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Yep, it was nice and all the "hardships" of running and managing games seems pretty overblown from some.

But going down the service route.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There has to be a middle ground between having to fiddle with autoexec.bat to decide whether to run the mouse driver or the game itself, and total brain-dead single install button that allows corps to ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL.

For me that sweet spot was the Win95/98-era setup, but I reckon that folks who got into gaming around the time Steam was gaining traction may have different opinions.

I'm not going to "boycott" anything. I'm just lazy.

And cheap.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yep, it was nice and all the "hardships" of running and managing games seems pretty overblown from some.

Just had a bit of a laugh at the notion that there was that golden era of computer gaming when all software you needed to mess around with was operating system and the game itself, as that's quite simply not true. If anything, you've had to mess with a whole lot more back in the DOS/95 era - then again, it was nice when it worked and you should consider yourself lucky if you did not have to go through a whole lot of troubleshooting on semi-regular basis.

There has to be a middle ground between having to fiddle with autoexec.bat to decide whether to run the mouse driver or the game itself, and total brain-dead single install button that allows corps to ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL.

You're not, it's just that installers which both download the game, its dependencies and set everything up for you is the de-facto standard nowadays. With like additional 3 clicks for unified GOG installers. Those are neat (... Unless they still try to shove Galaxy down your throat) Edited by Fenixp

I don't recall having to mess around much with Win98 to get my games working. Ran games off the OS directly in the 2000s as well, still unsure of if Steam or some other app in the middle actually matters for that as opposed to the actual APIs.

Not sure why people are all that wound up over the dev's comments. But gamers being angry about being disrespected has always been funny

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I remember trying to install half-life 2 from a cd and it asking me to install steam...I had no internet... Hated steam ever since. I am also not a believer of the whole "we rent you the software you don't own it" thing. They can **** right off with that ****. If I buy something I can do whatever I want with it, modify it in any way it pleases me. But I guess everything is becoming a service now.

• Like 4

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I don't recall having to mess around much with Win98 to get my games working. Ran games off the OS directly in the 2000s as well, still unsure of if Steam or some other app in the middle actually matters for that as opposed to the actual APIs.

It doesn't, it's mostly that it handles installation and, more importantly, separation of all kinds of prerequisites so that one game can use a version of a library and a different game can use a different one, something I also have a lot of 'fond' memories from back then.

'Spose you're right tho, things sort of stabilized in the early 00s - then again, I have those strongly connected to DRM which managed to somehow ruin my optical drive, so... Eh.

Just had a bit of a laugh at the notion that there was that golden era of computer gaming when all software you needed to mess around with was operating system and the game itself, as that's quite simply not true.

I laugh every time someone says the gaming industry had any type of golden era, or that AAA titles are in some way worse now than they ever were when they were growing up.

Add to that, those who complain about Steam having drm but in their ignorance, game on modern console, not realizing that they are 100% supporting drm by owning a console of this gen or the last.

The worst I have to do is go into the local files change property settings on a few Steam games or disable high dpi output. I've had to do this for games on GoG/Origin as well though. It's not really worth complaining about because once you do it, you never have to worry about doing it again.

If I buy something I can do whatever I want with it, modify it in any way it pleases me. But I guess everything is becoming a service now.

I remember people saying on forums that games with Denuvo don't allow you to mod the game or modify the contents of the game anyhow, yet every game with Denuvo has mods :) Edited by SonicMage117

I have games installed from almost all clients. Uplay, Origin, GOG, Steam and Epic Store. It isn't optimal, but it's not the end of the world. I also have some non-DRM Humble Store games.

I don't have many, but I also bought some games directly from some developer websites.

Edited by Labadal

Blasphemy! :p

More game news here

:skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein