RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Suppose I was one of the "lucky" ones who had Metro: Exodus already pre-ordered on Steam. However, I'd like to think I wouldn't have hesitated to pick it up on the Epic store regardless since I adore the other games in the series. Having not played Fortnite I'm not exactly in a position to comment on Epic's service, but my experience with other digital distro platforms have largely ranged from "functional," such as Origin, to "actually fairly solid," such as Impulse back in the day and GOG, of which the latter is generally the best model in my mind (just an .exe to install, and no more fuss). About the sole exception to that however is GFWL, which was among the most incompetently-made products to have ever have graced a hard-drive.

Pretty well thought out discussion, they have some prior videos about the Epic store (some from before the Metro Exodus drama) too which address a bunch more concerns with the Epic store.

EDIT: this is the one from December, iow before the Metro Exodus drama:

I'd have to disagree. The ratio of "crap" titles on Steam isn't different from GoG, it's just more intimadating to users who prefer GoG's more streamlined catalog. There's nothing wrong with Steams catalog, even Greenlight has given us amazing titles but if you have an issue with it, you can filter them out via the settings tab in the Steam store.

Then again, wise men say "One man's garbage is another man's treasure" has always rang true in such an instance. There are some games on GoG which I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole but someone 10 years older than me might think is the greatest thing ever, simply because they had fond memories of the game. So many factors and variables come into play regardless of what others may say. That's probably why some games are called cult hits and also why we have games with niche audiences.

And for the record, everything that has tried so hard to damage Steam's market has only pressed it further. Look at Epic's exclusivity deals. Isn't it ironic that barely anyone will refuse to buy a game for having a "anti-consumer" drm such as Denuvo, but yet a year exclusivity deal with Epic will cause a multitude of backlash which actually manifests in cancellations of pre-orders and potential buyers. You'd think it would be the opposite judging by all the supposed anti-drm cultists floating around the net but seems more like they support Steam in the end rather than not anyway.

It's just a funny observation, nothing more but still it affects every one of us digital pc gamers just the same.

Eh the fact is, there's a ton of games being released on Steam weekly, and most of them are really bad. And this is because it's currently VERY easy to release a Steam game - they barely even check it, and even if it doesn't conform to Steam guidelines, they will often just say "you should fix it, but it's ok if you don't want to". I've released a few games over the last 6 months and honestly this kinda shocks me how Steam goes for quanity over quality.

People hating Epic are the same ones who a week earlier were screaming how terrible Steam is. Throwing silly tantrums is what that community does best. Funny thing is, after they're done crying, they will buy the game anyway, even if they have to download a different store client for that. Actually, it's currently really difficult to get your game on Epic store because they have high quality standards, but the stupid mob doesn't seem to realize that yet.

There's enough valid reasons to dislike this entire situation, if you prefer to just go along with it that's your prerogative, doesn't make people that disagree with you necessarily stupid though, and calling them such doesn't reflect particularly well on your point.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

Eh the fact is, there's a ton of games being released on Steam weekly, and most of them are really bad. And this is because it's currently VERY easy to release a Steam game - they barely even check it, and even if it doesn't conform to Steam guidelines, they will often just say "you should fix it, but it's ok if you don't want to". I've released a few games over the last 6 months and honestly this kinda shocks me how Steam goes for quanity over quality.

People hating Epic are the same ones who a week earlier were screaming how terrible Steam is. Throwing silly tantrums is what that community does best. Funny thing is, after they're done crying, they will buy the game anyway, even if they have to download a different store client for that. Actually, it's currently really difficult to get your game on Epic store because they have high quality standards, but the stupid mob doesn't seem to realize that yet.

Idk man..

Do you play all these games though or do you just say they're bad because you see a wave of releases of games being released that you either know nothing about or that you have no desire to play? There's the difference. I filtered visual novel and dating sims out of my personal Steam search engine, as well as RPGmakers - this doesn't mean that people enjoy them for the reasons they were created for. There's no such thing as knowing that you'd hate something without trying it regardless of how much is passing through a gate unchecked, I'm not denying there are some garbage titles but it's not like Steam has more garbage circulating than on Origin/GoG or whatnot. Epic is newer so I can't really compare the catalog ratio when it only has a few games.

People have the right throw a tantrum, Epic Games Store exclusivity on PC platform is quite different from consoe exclusivity - Perhaps it's not such a sheeple mentality when the games were announced and marketed specifically for/on Steam for say a year or longer and then drastically halted to do an Epic exclusivity announcement. Had these games been marketed for Epic directly, your point would stand but since the opposite happened, Valve and those whining brats are in the right. That's probably why members on this forum are going to skip (or wait rather) for Metro Exodus to release on GoG/Steam.

If it was a Kickstarter game for Steam that suddenly went to Epic exclusively, the backlash would be even greater but still rightfully so.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I don't know why anyone would want to have access to less stuff. Sure, there might be a lot of bad stuff on Steam, but you can make an informed decision. They aren't forcing you to buy anything. Some people probably enjoy what other think is garbage.

• Like 1

Idk man..

Do you play all these games though or do you just say they're bad because you see a wave of releases of games being released that you either know nothing about or that you have no desire to play? There's the difference. I filtered visual novel and dating sims out of my personal Steam search engine, as well as RPGmakers - this doesn't mean that people enjoy them for the reasons they were created for. There's no such thing as knowing that you'd hate something without trying it regardless of how much is passing through a gate unchecked, I'm not denying there are some garbage titles but it's not like Steam has more garbage circulating than on Origin/GoG or whatnot. Epic is newer so I can't really compare the catalog ratio when it only has a few games.

People have the right throw a tantrum, Epic Games Store exclusivity on PC platform is quite different from consoe exclusivity - Perhaps it's not such a sheeple mentality when the games were announced and marketed specifically for/on Steam for say a year or longer and then drastically halted to do an Epic exclusivity announcement. Had these games been marketed for Epic directly, your point would stand but since the opposite happened, Valve and those whining brats are in the right. That's probably why members on this forum are going to skip (or wait rather) for Metro Exodus to release on GoG/Steam.

If it was a Kickstarter game for Steam that suddenly went to Epic exclusively, the backlash would be even greater but still rightfully so.

My own opinion is irrelevant in this because it's 100% subjective. Fact is, many of these new games get terrible ratings. Not surprising when you notice how they use the same assets from Unity store :D And I'm pretty sure Steam has more crap simply because it just has many more games, because as I've said, you can easily release whatever you want to in there. There is no quality control at all.

Console exclusive game requires you to own a particular console. Epic shop exclusive game requires you to.. download Epic client. Wow, such inconvenience. Not like we don't already have Steam/origin/GoG right. One more is not a big deal, and you don't even have to open it after you install the game.

Sunless Skies is just hours away from release.

tenor.gif

I think I might get it. Thinking about it, it would be a cool game if it had some multiplayer capacity and on second thought I think I will wait until the wiki is populated with all the best trading routes.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

So the Sunless series is basically a twin-stick shooter action rpg?

No. I would classify the series as a rogue lite, narrative, choose your own adventure, survival RPG.

It's about managing your resources and crew's terror level while you explore a randomly generated map. The games are very text heavy, but it's some really well written text and takes place in the Fallen London universe, which may be the most genuinely fascinating new settings I've seen in vidya games in the last decade or so.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sunless series is also utterly unlike anything you've played before. Imagine attrition-based survival game in a world where Terry Pratchett married Howard Philip Lovecraft and had a rather upbeat fun kid with a good dose of existential dread and looming cosmic horror.

Incidentally, I have to say that Sunless Skies plays a lot better than Sunless Sea did.

Edit: Oh and the rogue lite Iron Man mode is optional, by the way.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Sunless series is also utterly unlike anything you've played before. Imagine attrition-based survival game in a world where Terry Pratchett married Howard Philip Lovecraft and had a rather upbeat fun kid with a good dose of existential dread and looming cosmic horror.

Incidentally, I have to say that Sunless Skies plays a lot better than Sunless Sea did.

Edit: Oh and the rogue lite Iron Man mode is optional, by the way.

This gives me hope, but I get the feeling I still wouldn't enjoy the game.

Here's something he didn't mention:

The first Sunless game was actually called Fallen London and it's free. It is a browser/mobile game so you can try it out and if you like it you have an idea of what you'll get from Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies. It's also set in the same universe.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/login

Progress from the mobile version can be carried over to the Windows Browser version and vice verse.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I loved Fallen London, but couldn't get into Sunless Sea. Really, reeeeaallllly  slooooowwwwww movement, non-intuitive UI, dropped it right after I crashed the ship while trying to steer into the port.  :getlost: Still planning to try it one day, it's just that games that hook me way faster keep getting in the way. 

• Like 1

Sunless Skies fixes that issue, you see it actually has a revamped U.I compared to Sunless Sea.

So revamped, in fact that the game actually supports gamepad/controllers this time (I smell a console port in the near future? Could happen!).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yes, whinge at your customers instead of the people that made the exclusivity deal, that'll work well

• Like 5

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZTgSaokPzw

Yes, whinge at your customers instead of the people that made the exclusivity deal, that'll work well

That is really dishearting. People can think what they want but I am not buying the game. That is professional level of a-holery. Sad to see a beloved franchise go down the drain like that.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.