RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Video games suck now

Just the AAA stuff. Sunless Skies is going to rule hard.

Does it have cannibalism?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't even think the indie market is even looking all that appealing to me at the moment. Well maybe The Last Night if it manages to come out. Though I am very excited to see what Jonathan Blow puts out next, but that's more because I'm a PL theory junkie.

Video games suck now

The probability is relatively high.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Video games suck now

The probability is relatively high.

Is that a pun? Cause they're in the air?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, they don't comply with GDPR for one.

I doubt that many companies properly comply with GDPR, to be honest.

Well, GOG.com and Steam does.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well, they don't comply with GDPR for one.

I doubt that many companies properly comply with GDPR, to be honest.

Well, GOG.com and Steam does.

So far as anyone knows. Steam had and has some pretty dodgy wording in the SSA with respect to 3rd parties accessing data, and GOG tried to bring in default fully public profiles less than a month before GDPR would have made such a default option illegal.

Hardly anyone wants to follow GDPR properly because it costs money and the more properly you do it the more it costs, and it costs money because you can't monetise your customers so easily, so everyone cuts corners as much as they can. And that's not even the Facebook and Googles of the world whose entire business model is based on selling personalised information to 3rd parties.

So far as anyone knows. Steam had and has some pretty dodgy wording in the SSA with respect to 3rd parties accessing data, and GOG tried to bring in default fully public profiles less than a month before GDPR would have made such a default option illegal.

Hardly anyone wants to follow GDPR properly because it costs money and the more properly you do it the more it costs, and it costs money because you can't monetise your customers so easily, so everyone cuts corners as much as they can. And that's not even the Facebook and Googles of the world whose entire business model is based on selling personalised information to 3rd parties.

Ofcourse, not going to deny that, but GOG and Steam does follow it in some capacity, Epic Store just doesn't at all. Admittedly, I haven't looked to see if they've changed their policies in the past two months, but as far as I remember they haven't.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Sunless Skies releases next week!

Sunless Sea was better than Baldurs Gate 2 and Deadfire, so I expect now Sunless Skies to be even better..

The devs described it as "Bioshock meets John Carpenters' The Thing" and they were dead on.

Time to reinstall it I guess, last time I played was in early alpha when the game barely had any content and a broken u.i. Can't wait to see how it all turned out.

Like the cmoments suggests, I do see some planecape torment as well. The whole "Your crew can be an incognito princess, a repented devil, your aunt" screams planescape torment. One thing is for certain, players will romance their aunt and get the princess drunk before impregnating her whilst serving satan as a meal. Ahhh, Failbetter Games, you are truly what real rpg's should forever be.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

"Now" being the operative word. It'll be available on Steam and elsewhere in 2020.

Which is a good thing for me as I have zero interest in installing even more proprietary bloatware. By 2020 the game will probably be complete with all DLC and patches and available at a hefty discount, so thanks for making it easier for me to wait, Deep Silver!

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-will-only-release-on-the-epic-store-but-steam-preorders-will-be-honoured/

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Metro Exodus not only has denuvo, it's now Epic Store exclusive*!

Have to admit, I kind of like Epic Store. Not because it's good or anything but it's one of the best butthurt generators I've ever seen. Steamtards, RTX fanboys upset that their second raytraced game is gated, everyone is triggered who I like seeing triggered. They just need to buy GOG now and the circle will be complete.

*for a year

Oh well. Saved me some money as I'm sure it'll be cheaper a year down the line.

I'm just not sure what they think they're gaining. Epic and Deep Silver are just angering a whole bunch of people this way for little gain as, unless their "store" has some serious edge over Steam, the sheer inertia of everyone having a huge catalogue on Steam just means everyone will be right back to Steam for the next game.

Oh well whatever, at least EA has decided to comply with the law, for now (warning: Jim Sterling):

Of course they're seriously messing with their customers as these games are designed with the loot box economy in mind, so most of these games that simply disable these loot boxes become "handicapped".

Some information about Anthem's monetization leaked, though nothing is set in stone the fact that they're considering these prices is reason for concern as is the fact (as noted by someone in the comments) that the store appears to be on a timer. Will be interesting to see how things turn out.

EDIT: spelling

EDIT2: added Anthem news

Edited by marelooke

I'm just not sure what they think they're gaining. Epic and Deep Silver are just angering a whole bunch of people this way for little gain as, unless their "store" has some serious edge over Steam, the sheer inertia of everyone having a huge catalogue on Steam just means everyone will be right back to Steam for the next game.

Well it has a serious edge over Steam - Deep Silver needs to make like 10%(?) less sales for the same profits. At the same time, exclusivity is the strongest leverage that'll bring people to use Epic store, therefore allowing Epic store to cut more exclusivity deals.

I for one am having a lot of fun looking at even Valve themselves being butthurt over all of this, after over a decade of quasi-monopoly (which they still have by the way, Epic store may very well fail - but it's the most serious contestant we've seen yet)

well so i will not get Metro, not a big deal, i am sure it will show up on Steam or GoG sooner or later

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Some information about Anthem's monetization leaked, though nothing is set in stone the fact that they're considering these prices is reason for concern as is the fact (as noted by someone in the comments) that the store appears to be on a timer. Will be interesting to see how things turn out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZcD341WO0U

EDIT: spelling

EDIT2: added Anthem news

Well, in current circumstances, letters EA should be big enough concern already. If anyone is still thinking that Anthem will be about something different than MTX monetization, well being that naive, he must be surprised a lot every day...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Like some others have written, I'll also likely wait a year to pick up Metro Exodus. Not because of any loyalty to Valve, but because Epic have publicly stated that they currently have no plans for a Linux version of the Epic Store. So, assuming a Linux version of Metro Exodus comes out (the 2 previous games have Linux ports) I can only conclude that it won't be on the Epic Store.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well it has a serious edge over Steam - Deep Silver needs to make like 10%(?) less sales for the same profits. At the same time, exclusivity is the strongest leverage that'll bring people to use Epic store, therefore allowing Epic store to cut more exclusivity deals.

They will be paying them directly for the exclusivity as well, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Given the success of Fortnite Epic already has a very large install base to leverage much as Valve had after HL2. I suspect there will be some deep sales on their exclusive titles during the year of exclusivity to really test how committed people are to steam.

And let's be honest, PC gamers have not exactly got a stellar record of sticking to boycotts...

"Now" being the operative word. It'll be available on Steam and elsewhere in 2020.

Which is a good thing for me as I have zero interest in installing even more proprietary bloatware. By 2020 the game will probably be complete with all DLC and patches and available at a hefty discount, so thanks for making it easier for me to wait, Deep Silver!

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-will-only-release-on-the-epic-store-but-steam-preorders-will-be-honoured/

If you wait to 2021, you'll get a better one.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I for one am having a lot of fun looking at even Valve themselves being butthurt over all of this, after over a decade of quasi-monopoly (which they still have by the way, Epic store may very well fail - but it's the most serious contestant we've seen yet)

Oh, don't mistake my annoyance to any form of loyalty to Valve. I was plenty annoyed way back when they forced Steam on me with Half Life 2's Orange Box, however at the time they provided a good enough service and there was, as far as I remember, no notable competition.

So far nobody with their own store has been able to one-up Valve, at best they are a shallow copy of Valve's functionality with many more caveats (eg. Epic's owners).

Gog being the only exception as they offer DRM free games and don't push their client down your throat, which is also why they have managed to get a foothold without having to resort to bottom-tier tactics like what Epic is pulling now.

Like some others have written, I'll also likely wait a year to pick up Metro Exodus. Not because of any loyalty to Valve, but because Epic have publicly stated that they currently have no plans for a Linux version of the Epic Store. So, assuming a Linux version of Metro Exodus comes out (the 2 previous games have Linux ports) I can only conclude that it won't be on the Epic Store.

Yeah, there's that too. Though "Linux version" usually just means Ubuntu so whatever. That's my main worry with the Obsidisoft deal as well though. (that and that Windows store is probably the worst excuse for software delivery platform, ever)

They will be paying them directly for the exclusivity as well, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Given the success of Fortnite Epic already has a very large install base to leverage much as Valve had after HL2. I suspect there will be some deep sales on their exclusive titles during the year of exclusivity to really test how committed people are to steam.

And let's be honest, PC gamers have not exactly got a stellar record of sticking to boycotts...

Well, how much that install base buys them remains to be seen. I'm sure Origin had a rather large install base due to forcing it upon ME3 buyers, didn't particularly get them anywhere though. The main question is how much of that install base already has most of their games on Steam? The ones that have little investment there might be able to be persuaded, assuming the Epic store is any good (feature comparison with Steam didn't look too great for them, and that didn't even include all the security, privacy and refund policy concerns)

Sure, many are loud but will buy the game anyway. Some of us are old (enough) to not think much waiting a year for a game though. I will admit that the definition of "a long time" has shifted rather severely with growing older.  How many there are of us? Who knows, I guess Deep Silver is bound to find out.

I think the entire thing is just sad. Like, "sigh, shake my head and walk on by"-sad.

• Like 1

If you wait to 2021, you'll get a better one.

That's a good point actually. In two years, the modding community for the game will also have matured, producing fixes for the inevitable stupid design decisions.

Odds of the game showing up on GOG will increase over time as well.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That's a good point actually. In two years, the modding community for the game will also have matured, producing fixes for the inevitable stupid design decisions.

Odds of the game showing up on GOG will increase over time as well.

Can you even mod a Denuvo game?

Given the success of Fortnite Epic already has a very large install base to leverage much as Valve had after HL2. I suspect there will be some deep sales on their exclusive titles during the year of exclusivity to really test how committed people are to steam.

But that's a Fortnite install base, the overlap in target audiences can't be that great.

As much as I'd like to see Valve cut down a peg I doubt timed exclusives will cut it.

Can you even mod a Denuvo game?

Yes.

There are plenty of mods for Warhammer Total War.

• Like 2