RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Why believe that the demo is the review copy?? It makes no sense whatsoever. Everyone will be able to play that demo by February 1st.

There is a VIP demo that is available early to people who pre-order or have Origin Access, chances that this will be used by some "journalists" to get their reviews out early are, hmm, let's say 100% and even if you have total faith in video game journalists this demo will be used for previews etc. Either way it will result in skewed initial impressions.

Whether this is done on purpose by EA/BioWare is another discussion but it certainly does give a bad impression, especially with their track record.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2191910-deepmind-ai-thrashes-human-professionals-at-video-game-starcraft-ii/ 

Artificial intelligence has beaten humans at chess, Scrabble and Go – and now it has the better of us at real-time strategy video game StarCraft II. In two best-of-five series, DeepMind’s AI defeated two top-ranked professionals 5-0.

“This is of course an exciting moment for us,” said David Silver at DeepMind in a live stream watched by more than 55,000 people. “For the first time we saw an AI that was able to defeat a professional player.”

In StarCraft II, players have to control armies across a terrain. They have to build infrastructure, juggling short-term gain with long-term benefits. They also can’t always see the full map, so must act on hunches and intuition rather than firm action.

DeepMind created five versions of their AI, called AlphaStar, and trained them on footage of human games. The different AIs then played against each other in a league, with the leading AI accumulating the equivalent of 200 years of game experience.

With this, AlphaStar beat professional players Dario Wunsch and Grzegorz Komincz – ranked 44th and 13th in the world respectively.

“It looks like a big step forward,” says Sebastian Risi at the IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark. We don’t know how much new innovation there is, but the way it’s trained seems to be key, he says.

Not Koreans, so doesn't count.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Minus the bad jokes and salty humor of Dead Rising of course.

If only a single developer out there could recreate the humor in Dead Rising 1 & 2...

Unless you are talking about Dead Rising 3 or 4.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Yeah, I'd say pacing is a fairly important aspect in any game, and if the pacing is skewed in such a way that reviewers get to see more content faster, with a belief that doing so will get them a more enjoyable experience, well - to me that means developers know you'll get to enjoy the game more if it's faster paced, but decide to slow it down for -some- reason.

I won't speculate what the reasoning is, but if the game contains microtransactions, I'm also not going to trust that the pacing isn't skewed to support them.

It depends a lot on if aspects of the economy and advancement are tied to a dynamic economy/ player numbers, if so some sort of fudging in the demo would be inevitable as it won't be populated enough to have a 'proper' economy otherwise. You also want people to get an idea of the full range of abilities and experiences. People might complain about a 'World of Cars' type game giving you a demo with a Ferrari when in the full release you start with a Trabant, but it's obvious why they'd have a demo with a Ferrari.

And end of the day the idea of a demo or early access or whatever from the game producers' perspective is always to encourage sales. From the players' perspective it's to check if you like it and if it runs OK, but from EA's pov the sole purpose is to generate hype and get people buying the full product rather than providing a realistic appraisal.

So I just realized that the handgun shown in the Outer Worlds gameplay looks a heckin lot like Fallouts 10mm pistol (which is actually a revolver, but everyone gets it wrong). The whole shape is pretty much the same, just the surface details seem different.

Just saying.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

A little bit of insighton how previews of big blockbusters are made.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Anyone played Kenshi? I am tempted to grab it just because I am fascinated wtih its development cycle

my friend is currently playing Kenshi and loving it. his favorite game is Arcanum, though, so that's one of the reasons he likes Kenshi so much, but overall, he says, it's everything he ever wanted from an RPG. the only downside is, the game has lots and lots of bugs.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Anyone played Kenshi? I am tempted to grab it just because I am fascinated wtih its development cycle

my friend is currently playing Kenshi and loving it. his favorite game is Arcanum, though, so that's one of the reasons he likes Kenshi so much, but overall, he says, it's everything he ever wanted from an RPG. the only downside is, the game has lots and lots of bugs.

But is it RPG? It seems to me there is no story or quests or?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

A friend of mine is *really* into it but I haven't played myself. You start as the bottom feeder character in the game and you recruit a small horde of companions and followers to build settlements and you go fighting bandits and ancient robots.

that i know but is there a story? Are there some quests?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Metro Exodus not only has denuvo, it's now Epic Store exclusive*!

Have to admit, I kind of like Epic Store. Not because it's good or anything but it's one of the best butthurt generators I've ever seen. Steamtards, RTX fanboys upset that their second raytraced game is gated, everyone is triggered who I like seeing triggered. They just need to buy GOG now and the circle will be complete.

*for a year

• Like 1

Not even sure what the issues with Epic is, other than being the usual app to run apps nonsense and enriching that asshat Bleszinski

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not even sure what the issues with Epic is, other than being the usual app to run apps nonsense and enriching that asshat Bleszinski

Well, they don't comply with GDPR for one.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Metro Exodus not only has denuvo, it's now Epic Store exclusive*!

Have to admit, I kind of like Epic Store. Not because it's good or anything but it's one of the best butthurt generators I've ever seen. Steamtards, RTX fanboys upset that their second raytraced game is gated, everyone is triggered who I like seeing triggered. They just need to buy GOG now and the circle will be complete.

*for a year

Steam is my favorite but I don't care if a game that I want to play is an Epic store exclusive, most people aren't smart enough to know that these are all "timed exclusives" which only last about a year or so.

Why I love Epic Games Store? Not because it's good - it's really not but at least it's better than GoG/Origin and gives people free games that are actually worth playing. Steam is actually benefiting by the backlash, the more Steam users complain/whine, the more devs realize they made a grim mistake. Take Supergiant for example, putting Hades EA on Epic as an exclusive. You didn't think it would be a big deal, but it did. Who did it hurt more in the end?

Epic and the game developers are the ones who get hurt in the end. Steam users may whine for a period but let's face it, Steam has alot of great games that don't make it to Gog, Origin or Epic. So there's really no loss as they forget about the game in a couple of weeks or a months. Meh, so far every developer that has done Epic exclusive deal has regretted it and learned from it. Metro Exodus dev/pubs (whatever their names are) won't be any different in this regard.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Well, they don't comply with GDPR for one.

I doubt that many companies properly comply with GDPR, to be honest.

I thought Clifford was long gone from Epic?

The issue with Epic is... well fundamentally it's the issue with PC gaming in microcosm. Many PC gamers love to look down on consoles- while feeling morally superior for choosing to turn an open platform into a closed one and screeching whenever someone dares to compete with steam. And don't get me started on idiots preaching the church of DLSS who complained about checkerboard upscaling and 'fake' 4k on consoles...

So the problems with Epic are that they aren't steam, basically, with some weird contortions to justify it. Stores that exist as steam key resellers are 100% competition for steam so it isn't a walled garden and doesn't have exclusives and said stores don't 100% exist at the sufferance of steam; but Epic Store exclusives make them a monopoly (!) rather than competition. Oh, and Epic are also owned- no racism of course, some of their best friends are Chinese- by China and you'll probably be monitored by Winnie the Shi himself (though tencent is a minority owner only).

They also have a fair few genuine problems, but then so does everyone else. Not like with all their billions in revenue there aren't literally 10 year old bugs in steam no one has bothered to fix; or the perpetual mythic GOG Galaxy Linux version/ crappy forums/ awful reduced functionality redesign.

• Like 1

Huh, left several years ago. Need to stay in loop more, I guess