RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Also metal's genre branching is pretty funny.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Some interesting leaks on the PS5. True or not, it all seems plausible and is inline with what I would have expected.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/a1qmvt/info_on_the_dev_kit_for_ps5_from_an_indie/

Most shocking claim is that 8GB will be reserved by the OS. As far as the controller screen, I picture something still small in form-factor not actually a Wii U slate.

Honestly I could probably go for 32GB with no VR, but forcing VR might be the best way to kickstart the VR revolution. I'm certainly looking forward to a proper non-gimmick VR game that has depth, plays well, and is over 20 hours long.

I'm also very much in agreeance with the release window with respect to where 7nm, Zen2/3, and Navi currently are. That's like a year to finalize specs and a year to manufacture initial supplies. Seems like the right time frame.

Edited by injurai

Xbox also tried to force Kinect, and we all know how it ended. VR costs a lot, and bundling it, would lead to PS5 being to expensive compared to competition IMO.

Edit: also OLED on DS5 and DS5 being as big as DS4 according the article makes the article to me not very plausible. Also 6TB SSD, would hike up the price of the unit to the 1000bucks area, which makes the article even less believable.

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I mean, if they do force you to buy PSVR bundled with PS5 then I'll just wait for the inevitable unbundled version to come out a year down the line or so. Actually, I'll almost certainly wait regardless, I'm hardly ever an early adopter of consoles. Honestly, it generally makes very little sense to buy a console at launch anyway. You usually get the worst version of the console for the highest price and with a very small selection of games to start. Meanwhile the past gen usually gets supported for another 2 years or so. Plus, waiting lets you find out if whatever gimmick they inevitably shoehorn into the new console sticks or fails.

As for the PS5 reserving 8 GB for the OS, that sounds ridiculous. If your OS needs 8 GB reserved you are either leaving an ungodly amount of headroom or you have an extraordinarily inefficient OS.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If the PS5 is just a little under 2 years out, I would not be all that surprised that 6TB becomes more economically priced by then. OLED is still a bit odd, however OLEDs continue to work their way into more products at more and more economical costs. This year we'll be seeing more OLED laptops, and the cheapest OLED screens will be one's that had been previously pushed for mobile devices. Ergo, the same form factor as the PS5 controller.

I still think bundling VR is a very bad idea, unless Sony plans to take some massive losses on VR. With Microsoft's increasing ability to lean on high-spec PCs, Sony really benefits from being ahead with console specs. Early gen when available titles are slim, specs have a huge impact on purchasing behavior, so it's best they don't skimp just to fit in the VR. In fact it's usually best that they take a loss on hardware to make the best system to sell their own 1st party titles.

Still I think having a really strong launch lineup is going to be the most important thing this gen over specs. If they can launch with exclusives as opposed to having a strong final year like on the PS3, then I think they'll win consumers hearts. That would be the one chance to force VR into the living room, if they just have an absolute smorgasbord of high profile titles in the launch window.

So far rumors suggest The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, and Death Stranding are all launch / early titles on the PS5. I have even heard Final Fantasy VII Remake will be too. I don't know if that one is actually exclusive or not, but so far it's only listed for the PS4. That might turn into the PS5.

Whether anyone is strictly a PC gamer or not, they're missing out if they don't own a PS4 plain and simple. The PS4 has some of the best games in the industry and they'll never make it to pc. PS5 will likely be no different.

While they are just *rumors*, I really hope VR isn't forced. I think it's still way TOO early to ecen be thinking about it. Steam has been big on VR but I've yet to see anything on VR that makes me remotely interested.

The thing I hope most though is that Sony keeps its in-house devs focsed on non-VR games like it did this generation. Can inly see it hurting Sony if they do otherwise.

Personally though, I doubt VR will be forced. If Sony has learned from this gen, they know VR is a big gamble and they lost tons of money on VR so it doesn't make much sense to force it out the gate even with newer hardware that can easily produce such titles. It was never the low tech that held consumers back from buying it after all but that every interesting VR game has been a 15 minutetech demo or something that it shouldn't have been.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

If its forced it's probably because they see upcoming VR titles that they are confident in.

I have not seen a single VR game that is more than a gimmick. It would be too risky to go all in on a peripheral without it being a vector to move software.

• Like 1

It's early days still. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of Sony's leaks- especially the VR one- were aimed at Microsoft, they won the prerelease PR battle vs xbox handily last time in part by having some strategic leaks that weren't accurate but which got MS into a hole- eg leaks said PS4 would be always online, it was only after MS formally said the xbox would be so as well that Sony yelled psych and said the PS4 would be offline capable.

Most shocking claim is that 8GB will be reserved by the OS.

Yeah, that's way more RAM than a full desktop OS uses- win10 has extraneous guff to it that a console doesn't need and doesn't need that much RAM. Some sort of segmented memory set up where 8 is used by the GPU and 8 by the CPU (and OS and other overhead aspects) would seem a lot more likely as that could have design advantages but even then 8GB is a little shy for doing 4k/60fps properly and without tricks.

I'm guessing the PS5 will have unified memory, so the split between CPU and GPU segments will be dynamically shifted as necessary. If the CPU and GPU do get dedicated segments, that's because that is some sort of minimal threshold, with the rest being fought over between the two. The only reason why some memory is left dedicated to the OS is so you don't have to fault massive chunks of memory whenever you need to dip into system menus or jump back into a game. It's the reason why sometimes the OS can be forced into a trimmed mode for the graphic-junky developers as the generation progresses, but the console makers don't want the devs to be trampling on all their responsive ecosystem features especially on launch. They also want a means to ensure games that do use those services, like the multiplayer games, simply work as intended for the developers.

If the PS5 is backwards compatible that's better than a pro anyways.

Also if that leak was true, I'm surprised it said nothing on BC given the other breadth of details it contained. I'd imagine they would know if they were doing that by now.

That's a developer leak though, if you're developing for PS5 then PS4 back compatibility isn't relevant since you're, well, developing for PS5 and not PS4. There's not really any reason for either him or Sony to mention it in that context.

Given it's an AMD CPU/ GPU combo and the GPU is even the same underlying architecture (GCN) as PS4 the only reason you wouldn't have bc is due to non technical issues- Sony not wanting to do it because they want new game sales, especially if the PS5 is loss leading and they need the licensing fees to break even.

People want backwards compatibility though. Sony's answer to that so far has been numerous remasters of older games and PS Now.

My guess is that the PS5 will be only backwards compatible with the PS4.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Some interesting leaks on the PS5. True or not, it all seems plausible and is inline with what I would have expected.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/a1qmvt/info_on_the_dev_kit_for_ps5_from_an_indie/

Most shocking claim is that 8GB will be reserved by the OS. As far as the controller screen, I picture something still small in form-factor not actually a Wii U slate.

Honestly I could probably go for 32GB with no VR, but forcing VR might be the best way to kickstart the VR revolution. I'm certainly looking forward to a proper non-gimmick VR game that has depth, plays well, and is over 20 hours long.

I'm also very much in agreeance with the release window with respect to where 7nm, Zen2/3, and Navi currently are. That's like a year to finalize specs and a year to manufacture initial supplies. Seems like the right time frame.

Please stop with the VR crap. Its downfall has always been, and always will be, that the human brain is unable to actually process the differentiation between VR and Reality causing motion sickness etc.

Whether anyone is strictly a PC gamer or not, they're missing out if they don't own a PS4 plain and simple. The PS4 has some of the best games in the industry and they'll never make it to pc. PS5 will likely be no different.

While they are just *rumors*, I really hope VR isn't forced. I think it's still way TOO early to ecen be thinking about it. Steam has been big on VR but I've yet to see anything on VR that makes me remotely interested.

The thing I hope most though is that Sony keeps its in-house devs focsed on non-VR games like it did this generation. Can inly see it hurting Sony if they do otherwise.

Personally though, I doubt VR will be forced. If Sony has learned from this gen, they know VR is a big gamble and they lost tons of money on VR so it doesn't make much sense to force it out the gate even with newer hardware that can easily produce such titles. It was never the low tech that held consumers back from buying it after all but that every interesting VR game has been a 15 minutetech demo or something that it shouldn't have been.

This is sadly true, although I'm still hoping that the Ttails of X games get ported over to English/PC since I got into the series with GoG's recent sale.

People want backwards compatibility though. Sony's answer to that so far has been numerous remasters of older games and PS Now.

My guess is that the PS5 will be only backwards compatible with the PS4.

Sony liey will not have it, since they get more sales by just "remastering" games.

Edited by Vitalis

Please stop with the VR crap. Its downfall has always been, and always will be, that the human brain is unable to actually process the differentiation between VR and Reality causing motion sickness etc.

Well, I'd say its downfall has been and always will be that it's

a) Isolating

b) Cubersome

c) Difficult to set up

... And also motion sickness

Isolating? Meh, lots of people do that daily just with normal computer and console stuff. But yeah, it is annoying to setup, which is why I rarely use it as well. It might be different if I had a huge spare room available just for VR, but the way it is...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, I'd say its downfall has been and always will be that it's

a) Isolating

b) Cubersome

c) Difficult to set up

... And also motion sickness

Not really.

People don't care about any of those things, the main issue is and has been the software. The fact that Sony and other developers were so confident in VR games that are less than half hour to finish and try to market them as some marvel is pretty laughable. Consumers started seeing through this.

Plus, it's not even difficult to set up?

If Sony can get some devs to make some fun 15-20 hour VR games then it will be successful. People want an experience, nobody is going to buy VR for a party game so single player is pretty much what VR players expect anyway. They know not many people have it for an online experience.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Meh, lots of people do that daily just with normal computer and console stuff.

And then there's lots of people who have real-life stuff they've got to attend to regularly, or just family members they'd like to be easy to reach for.

And then there's lots of people who just don't have space or hardware to set VR up.

And then there's...

Y'know, my point is: There's a whole lot of reasons for a whole lot of people to avoid VR, while the advantage you get is a cool novelty at best.

And then there's lots of people who have real-life stuff they've got to attend to regularly, or just family members they'd like to be easy to reach for.

And then there's lots of people who just don't have space or hardware to set VR up.

And then there's...

Y'know, my point is: There's a whole lot of reasons for a whole lot of people to avoid VR, while the advantage you get is a cool novelty at best.

Huh, So now it's space on a desk? Most people I know who own a VR headset literally set it on the console itself after being turned off. You're making it sound alot more difficult than it actually is. Having a VR headset and controller on PC/Console is really no different than a VR headset for your mobile phone (Samsung Gear).

You suggesting such a thing would be the same as saying "Nintendo Switch will never be a success because you have to dock the system to charge or play on tv, then slide off the controllers". You're making non-existent issues into an issue. All it needs is some actual games and most people who haven't bought one yet will get into it. If you're skeptical, it's only because you haven't played on VR yet which is understandable since you won't know what it is until you try it.

Taking turns on VR is really no different than growing up in the 90's with one controller and switching every in-game death anyway.