This is something I noticed with PoE1 and I'm sure it's been discussed before. Why are there so few player levels in these games? The content to leveling ratio seems askew. It seems like you can hit the level cap before you are even halfway through the game. It was especially bad in PoE1 where the level cap was only 16.

• Like 1

More levels would mean less abilities per level to choose from. Some classes have a glut of spells at certain levels so it probably wouldn't really be a problem to spread them out more. Regardless, the issue isn't the number of levels, it's how much experience you get

It doesn't seem like you get an excess of experience in this game. Leveling is a rather slow process, I feel. However, even so, I think there's too much content for the level cap. Not that I mind all of the content: the more the better. I just don't enjoy playing the last quarter or so of the game at max level with no further abilities coming in.

I just don't enjoy playing the last quarter or so of the game at max level with no further abilities coming in.

Or some way to upgrade the abilities you've gathered, after hitting level cap. Put all this excess exp to some use.

• Like 2

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

Why are there so few player levels in these games? The content to leveling ratio seems askew. It seems like you can hit the level cap before you are even halfway through the game.

That's due to two reasons:

> I remember there were complains during PoE1 that there is not enough time to play with abilities and spells of the highest rank. You get that awesome spell and in half of hour finish the game. It made making a build around high level stuff kinda moot.

> Players need enough experience to reach lvl 20 with just vanilla game. But than there are expansions that for some unknown reason, and unlike in PoE1, do not increase the lvl cap, but still give xp. So there is that. I've written that the reason is unknown, but could speculate that it's either related to selling figures or to single-class vs multiclass balance.

Or some way to upgrade the abilities you've gathered, after hitting level cap. Put all this excess exp to some use.

Good idea.

It could give something that doesn't affect combat directly (otherwise it will get grinded). But what there is besides gold?

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

Yeah especially if you board high end ships and wipe them out you can get massive amounts of superb gear that can be sold en masse for 5 figures worth of gold (boarding gives more items to sell than sinking ships).  Don't have exact numbers but it wasn't uncommon for me to have 200-300k+ once I started entering mid-late game level fights.  If you don't spend money on ship combat related things that does leave a lot of money open for equipment upgrades.  

I get the feeling they pumped up the level advancement to satisfy modern play styles. Seems way too fast to me, like if I twitch the right way then I get another level. I don't feel particularly rewarded for good play.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

You can't say that 20 is perfect when you can reach that well before the end of the game.

Well, they can't satisfy every player.

1) Either they make all (side and critical) quest mandatory for reaching level 20. That will annoy those that hate doing side quests. Also, you only get like ... 10 minutes playtime with top tier abilites before game ends.

2) DLC's raise the cap. But then you get the problem that some critical endgame may become trivial if you are overleveled.

or 

3) Current situation. If you do a lot/all quests you end up capped early. And as you point out, some players desire continuous progression.

If find the current situation best of those scenarios. It's not perfect, but perfect is impossible.

• Like 2

Nerf Troubadour!

i said this in another thread and i'll say it in all of these threads since there's so many, what exactly makes it bad for this game to hit level cap midway through and others the whole point is to get to the level cap? don't you want more than like, the boss to fight at level 20? isn't this all kind of arbitrary?

i did two playthrus, one i skipped some quests and finished it at level 19 with no DLCs. My second playthru i did 3/4ths of the main game and then hit 20 during beast of winter.

Edited by Cartoons Plural
  • Like 1

Honestly, I don't mind hitting max level like 60-70% into the game. It's a little weird compared to basically any other rpg, but like said, it lets you fight at max power and all your abilities for a good while, unlike some other games, where you only get your ultimate thing at the end of the final dungeon.

I do wish there was some sort of ...bonus for those who explore and kill everything, getting enough exp to hit high 20s, but that's not really necessary.

I'd settle for gold. Unlike PoE1 I don't seem to have an extravagance of money in this game. I'm at level 13 and only have about 10,000 cp.

Well, with my first monk, whom i did everything in the game, i got 900k at the end. And with the new upcoming patch, ships respawn for more loot.

You get absolutely ridiculous amounts of gold in both PoE1 and Deadfire.

There's one big reason for this: limitless stash. In fact it's so limitless that once you've picked something up, you cannot just drop it, you either have to find a container or sell it.

After something like level 12 or 13, you start coming across parties with pretty good equipment, and when you just pick everything up and sell it, you're going to be one very rich fella (or lassie).

I'm not entirely sure how this should be solved, but it's another of those factors that make the game too easy. I mean, you can give yourself a challenge by cranking the difficulty up to PotD, but this thing doesn't change.