So there's a giant construct and a presumably normal-sized wizard. I've only had time to have a quick go with the construct, and it seems it behaves fairly normally for a short while, then it launches a million fireballs everywhere killing my entire party. This should be a fun one. Anyone uncovered any pro strats?

• Like 4

Screenshots for those of us who are on GoG? :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So there's a giant construct and a presumably normal-sized wizard. I've only had time to have a quick go with the construct, and it seems it behaves fairly normally for a short while, then it launches a million fireballs everywhere killing my entire party. This should be a fun one. Anyone uncovered any pro strats?

Bullet Hell: Deadfire Edition style?

I guess fire ar? Druids have a pretty long +5 fire ar buff. I believe chanters have a similar one.

Revku's Cloak provides you with immunity to fire and also heals you for a percentage of fire damage dealt.  Get someone with Necrotic Lance to inflict Acute Rash upon yourself as that wound shouldn't matter for this fight with this cloak.

There are a fair amount of potions and items that either provide elemental damage shields or elemental damage resistance.

Wizards can self buff themselves with Bulwark Against The Elements (+5 Burn Armor And To Other Elements).

Withdraw and other such abilities can come in handy here.

If they are Fireballs, then anyone who has reflex to the gills should be okay.

So I just did a preliminary look at the Helfire Colossus, his fireballs are not that bad. There is a delay between the fireballs landing and detonating, so you can move your party out of the way before they explode. I need to tweak my party composition before I try a serious attempt, but the real pain is that it is immune to mind afflictions, interrupts, poisons and diseases, and it is resistant to body afflictions.

• Like 1

Well, Dorudugan, the Helfire Colossus has bit the dust.  The Essence Interrupter and Lord Daryn's Voluge are great in this battle, because Dorudugan's lowest armor rating is for shock damage.  Its second lowest armor rating is for blunt damage.  As mentioned above, fire damage will heal the construct.  I even tried "overloading" the construct by throwing a ton of fire damage at it, but there does not be seem to be a real trick to managing this battle other than doing a lot of manual positioning to avoid the special attacks used by the construct. 

As far as its abilities, it has a cleaving attack that temporarily lowers the target's maximum health by 15%, it can send a large number of delayed fireballs (which will heal it), it uses a modified version of pull of Eora to draw in enemies closer to it and knock them prone on a crit, and it can use an ability called "Helfire Storm," which causes the ground to erupt with fire after a short delay.  

Edit: And now Sigilmaster Auranic, the mage megaboss, is no more.  She does have a "surprise" attack when her HP gets low, but it is pretty underwhelming.  Potions of Improved Arcane Deflection really come in handy here, as do all of the reflection spells to handle the sigils attacks, which vary between affliction heavy, damaging, and buff cleansing.  Each sigil casts one spell, and each sigil is protected by a globe of invulnerability when it is inactive, but the DoT from Gouging Wound still seems to work even when the sigils are invulnerable.  A fun fight, but I am not sure how I feel about how it ends, because as soon as you take down the sigils and the boss runs out of spells, she just autoattacks while you whittle down her HP. I was half expecting a new sigil to pop up once I destroyed them all, but perhaps that was not feasible to implement for whatever reason.

Edited by DozingDragon
  • Like 2

Speaking of a Herald solo. Belranga is pretty easy and it seems, the wizard can be done without much of a problem. The ooze is possible with a herald, seems only the construct left. Anyone tried it solo and did it?

Yes, anything/troubadour can solo him.

You need brisk recitation and Many Lives Pass By.  Since you summon skeletons faster than he can kill them you can easily keep him away from you while shooting him with the Essence Interrupter. Rekvu's cloak (drink from the pool at the Outcast's Respite to get a wound) will negate the damage of his fireballs, while the Upright Captain's Belt will make you immune to his AoE pull. After that you can use items to improve your attack (Acina's Tricorn, Ring of the Marksman, Ring of Prosperity's Fortune, Charm of Bones, Gauntlets of Accuracy, Misscreant's Leathers)

PS. The herald can also melee him but it takes much much longer

• Like 3

Speaking of a Herald solo. Belranga is pretty easy and it seems, the wizard can be done without much of a problem. The ooze is possible with a herald, seems only the construct left. Anyone tried it solo and did it?

Yes, anything/troubadour can solo him.

You need brisk recitation and Many Lives Pass By.  Since you summon skeletons faster than he can kill them you can easily keep him away from you while shooting him with the Essence Interrupter. Rekvu's cloak (drink from the pool at the Outcast's Respite to get a wound) will negate the damage of his fireballs, while the Upright Captain's Belt will make you immune to his AoE pull. After that you can use items to improve your attack (Acina's Tricorn, Ring of the Marksman, Ring of Prosperity's Fortune, Charm of Bones, Gauntlets of Accuracy, Misscreant's Leathers)

PS. The herald can also melee him but it takes much much longer

Thanks. I hope they will activate the achievements for em pretty soon and with more BBs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, Dorudugan, the Helfire Colossus has bit the dust.  The Essence Interrupter and Lord Daryn's Voluge are great in this battle, because Dorudugan's lowest armor rating is for shock damage.  Its second lowest armor rating is for blunt damage.  As mentioned above, fire damage will heal the construct.  I even tried "overloading" the construct by throwing a ton of fire damage at it, but there does not be seem to be a real trick to managing this battle other than doing a lot of manual positioning to avoid the special attacks used by the construct. 

As far as its abilities, it has a cleaving attack that temporarily lowers the target's maximum health by 15%, it can send a large number of delayed fireballs (which will heal it), it uses a modified version of pull of Eora to draw in enemies closer to it and knock them prone on a crit, and it can use an ability called "Helfire Storm," which causes the ground to erupt with fire after a short delay.  

Edit: And now Sigilmaster Auranic, the mage megaboss, is no more.  She does have a "surprise" attack when her HP gets low, but it is pretty underwhelming.  Potions of Improved Arcane Deflection really come in handy here, as do all of the reflection spells to handle the sigils attacks, which vary between affliction heavy, damaging, and buff cleansing.  Each sigil casts one spell, and each sigil is protected by a globe of invulnerability when it is inactive, but the DoT from Gouging Wound still seems to work even when the sigils are invulnerable.  A fun fight, but I am not sure how I feel about how it ends, because as soon as you take down the sigils and the boss runs out of spells, she just autoattacks while you whittle down her HP. I was half expecting a new sigil to pop up once I destroyed them all, but perhaps that was not feasible to implement for whatever reason.

Can you share with us your party state esp main character build to beat Dorudugan? Thanks.

How you do it? Kalon used essence interruptor shock damage from range while his summoned skellies kep the mob occupied. Scorched Cloak to turn fire into heals.

1) My standard spec was full spell focus build, but for this boss i respeced to melee damage, took more warrior tallents. For damage i was using penetrating strike

2) For weapon i used a crush weapon, best i cound find was the Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff from Nemnok. Mainly for high damage, but also the bonus speed and damage reduction were handy (maxed out metamagic). I was a bit worried by the loss of deflection, but with Arcane veil i had 150 deflection, which was good enough.

3) I used Rekvus Cloak to not take firedamage (that one is a nobrainer) and after first try where i died on 5% because of interupts i used also the helm, it made it much easier.

4) This is with no rest character, i have full world buffs. On vessels i had 150 accuracy which made it very easy to hit this boss. 

5) General strategy

a) prebuff lengraths safeguard and pull with draining wall

b) place mauras tentacles to flank the boss and gain brilliant - keep recasting them when they die, sometimes better to wait if there is AOE coming, because they always die. They dont damage the boss, so they never agro, they only die from AOE

c) buff myself with everything immaginable. Top priority is unbending for healing, disciplined strikes for accuracy, all various mage buffs including arcane veil, delateriuos alacrity, lengraths, merciless gaze, also i used potion of deftness, penetration potion, perfect strikes potion and the drug giving 15% melee damage and -5% damage taken. After that i spam draining wall as much as possible. Its important to constantly have at least 2-3 walls up, more the better, you need to build up the buff duration early on, because later the boss will do more aoe etc and it will disrupt you (need to recast tentacles more).

d) then you basically alternatate penatrating strike/draining wall and cast tentacles when they die.

e) It took me over 1 hour to kill the boss, because half of the time you are casting the walls to keep your buffs going and you are not hitting him. Also the boss heals from the aoe damage he does. In general the staff hits were for 50-90 damage each.

f) If you dont let your buffs fall of, unbending scales up constantly and it will heal 200+ hp per hit, making you basically unkillable. Only danger is when the boss reduces your HP by many cleave hits. I am not sure how exactly it works, but at one point i got down to 163 max HP (originally 384), there i was a bit scared of being oneshot, but then he missed a cleave or two and my HP went back up.

Edited by Bhall
  • Like 1

Managed to beat Auranic without using any potions. Although that was a boring way

I found Auranic very easy, mainly because the nature of the encounter. The boss being stationary caused several things which might not have been intented, like gaining brilliant when being out of range of the boss. In general i stayed near the entrance, buffed myself, charged in and bursted 1 sigil down when he lowered the shield, i could kill each sigil in 2 bursts, after the sigils were down i slowly killed the boss, he wasnt doing anything too dangerous.

How do you bust the sigils in two hits?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus