Please convince me not to quit the game

I loved PoE I, and I love the setting, writing and atmosphere of PoE 2. However, having played for a while, the mix of difficulty spikes and bugs is getting to be too frustrating. For example: I have set combat levelling to full in the difficulty settings. The Tikawara related quests are not marked as too difficult for me in my journal. I sail to Tikawara, complete a few quests, and eventually pick up the quest that asks me to travel to the Poko Kohara ruins. Outside the ruins, I promptly meet a golem that it far too difficult for my level 7 party to defeat. Fine, so I return to Neketaka, thinking that I should complete simpler quests there, such as The Cornett's Call. I had been asked some time ago to meet Dereo in Delver's Row, but had so far not done it. I make my way to delver's row and meet the thug who guards Dereo's hideout via a bridge. My journal states that I should tell the thug that Dereo had sent for me. However, no such dialogue option is available - obviously a bug. I have not found a workaround for this yet, and it is frustrating not to be able to resolve the quest. So, in the end, unpredictable difficulty and bugged quests have made this a very frustrating experience. Can anyone convince me to keep going?

didn't read the post.  stopped after the thread title. 

quit.

if you played a game long enough to dislike it, then don't work at trying to convince yourself the game is worth a greater investment o' your time.  this advice is particular meaningful for deadfire as unlike many crpgs where gameplay significantly alters at some unspecified point as one levels, deadfire is far more consistent.  in d&d games based on d20, the first few levels is marked by player impotence and repetitive (but disproportional lethal) combat.  high levels in d&d games is resulting in predictable player roll-stomp.  is a kind sweet spot for d&d games.  deadfire don't have same extremes as d&d.  

am personal liking deadfire.  mechanics is, but for a few notable exceptions, more rational and transparent than in other crpgs. deadfire improves 'pon poe in most respects, save for a few glaring issues such as penetration v. dr.  am thinking poe is more a character-story driven game than deadfire and benefits from greater unity o' thematic development, but even so, poe narrative were a bit directionless at times, as if writers were kinda simultaneous brainstorming and completing final drafts.  deadfire story is ironic suffering from a clear desire to provide enhanced player agency-- deadfire "story" is more 'bout the player exploring tangential and optional side quests and making the pivotal faction choice more deep and significant.  curious, in spite o' deadfire focus on player choices o'er critical path narrative and thematic cohesiveness, it largely eschews any efforts to make player anything more than a spectator during climax o' game.  etc.

obviously we got criticisms o' deadfire.  am not a rabid fanboi who cannot see room for improvement in a game we like.  however, the thing is, if you have played deadfire long enough to come to conclusions 'bout the game and felt need to post 'bout such conclusions, then am doubting additional gameplay or fan responses will serve you.  cut your losses.  deadfire has potential to be a long game with many tens o' hours o' gameplay.  why suffer to make some kinda point?

'less the act posting dissatisfaction were the actual point, in which case you has already succeeded.

regardless, our advice is simple: move on.  is what Gromnir will do insofar as this thread. no more to be said.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 8

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

To be honest and perfectly clear,

You came to the wrong place.

This forum is for Obsidian fanboys - like myself, so anything we say should be taken as a grain of salt and not to heart.

You should probably just quit if you're not feeling it. What we say shouldn't dictate whether you give the game another chance, as we are not you. Follow your heart and then some.

(I may get attacked for saying this but I stand by my comment).

Correctively and collectively though, the game had far more bugs during launch. And since every patch has eleminated bugs, the new patches have also added a few it seems so the game will never be perfect. This has always been a fault of Obsidian, and it seems other devs do not suffer this fate.

There have been a few titles on GoG that I've just given up on due to bugs but thankfully, there are tons of other games on the market so should you choose to move on, no need to feel guilty. As always, truth in yourself.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

None of those is a bug. The bridge you a describing doesn't lead to Dereo. He can be found on Narrows (scripted interaction area - you were given clues on how to find him).

Titan is a tough enemy (probably due to us beta testers complaining how weak he is) but you should be able to kill him. He is a higher level enemy, but he is against your party of 5. Red skulls above individual enemies doesn't mean you can't kill them - it's just an indication of his individual level.

To be honest and perfectly clear,

You came to the wrong place.

This forum is for Obsidian fanboys - like myself, so anything we say should be taken as a grain of salt and not to heart.

But I'm here too, to balance the scales! Yay me.

@Op

You've barely seen anything this game has to offer. If you feel like quitting at this point, then crpg are probably not your cup of tea.

• Like 1

If you don't like the game, don't force yourself to play. There are lots of games to play, go play them. Dereo's guards are not on a bridge, that is another thug. Dereo gives the Cornet Call quest so if you already have the quest then you have done something out of sequence, probably went to the guy's house before Dereo told you to. As far as the golem at Poko Kohara, I think level 7 might be a little early to face him, I am usually around level 10 by the time I face him and he is actually quite easy to beat.

To find Dereo, you get directions from the owner of the inn in the gullet.

I am in the middle of my fifth play through the game and I will probably finish before the last DLC comes out next month.

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

I do not know what you already did, but...

...you may be doing stuff out of order. I suggest Zamar's quest, fort Deadlight, Abocco's bounties and Sanza's quest, Valera/Bardatto feud, Kahn's quest.

Gromnir said it above. Just quit. 

Nothing prevents you from coming back to the game when you're in the right mood for it. 

I did play PoE1 when it first came out but I ended up putting the game on ice for more than a year simply because I got fed up with pathfinding issues and all the patching and rebalancing which made me feel like the game kept messing with my builds. When I later came back to the game I picked up White March and eventually had a blast (despite some issues). 

There is a time for everything and sometimes it's just not the right time. 

It reminds me of that guy who posted a scathing thread on a Steam forum after spending 70 hours playing a game he didn't even like and as a result ended up hating it with a passion. In the end pushing through only means that you're punishing yourself. 

• Like 1

I'll go against the grain: Keep on playing. Don't give up!

When I was young, computer games were much harder than the ones we play today, in general.

And I can't even begin to recount all the cases where I got furious at the game, even rage quit, and then I let it sit for a while, and my mind percolated a bit on the problems in the game in question, and I really read up on the manual and the systems in the game - I even draw maps and wrote down various info and clues (There was no Internet to consult back then, and the walkthrough manuals appeared in the 1990s, and they could cost a couple of hundred bucks. Obviously, I would never resort to them, anyways.)

Ironically, though, several of these crazy tough games turned into my best gaming memories - they even set the benchmark for what to expect of a computer game.

I reckon Deadfire is a perfect game for you in this genre. Perhaps even DOS2, but you should wait playing other games of this kind, like Pathfinder: the Kingmaker.

Enjoy bashing your head into a few walls in Deadfire, but know this: It will feel really darn sweet when you overcome these obstacles. And often, like in my case, this will be the kind of game that you'll even replay just to get your kicks kicked in every once in a while, just for the sheer pleasure of a rematch, where you end up as the winner.

Go get them, champ!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

That games has some bugs, but they are rare compared to other games.

After the starting island and without much of experience in the game, you should go to neketaka and do all quests there. With a party, it's very easy and you don't need any gameknowledge to do it in any order (i recommend, to do dereo old city dungen and 2 sacred stair quest at last).