A question about companions

Do I risk a significant loss in good content by not bringing certain companions to certain places? If so, who should be brought where?

Also, are there any strong consequences of not getting high positive relations with a companion, e.g. a "bad" ending for them? Should I maneuver to milk as much approval from them as I can?

Some quests are specifically designed with companions in mind. But the nice thing is that it actually warns you beforehand (in the quest log I think, it will say "recommended companion: so-and-so").

Personally, unless companion interactions are really your thing, I don't believe they add a whole lot to the story.

Edited by Heijoushin

There are recommended companions for certain quests which add more dialogue/interactions. There are also times where it just makes sense to bring a companion if it's faction related. It's not a ton but it does add to the quests and their characters. Sometimes they do give you additional options to resolve a quest too.

Edited by Verde

Do I risk a significant loss in good content by not bringing certain companions to certain places? If so, who should be brought where?

Also, are there any strong consequences of not getting high positive relations with a companion, e.g. a "bad" ending for them? Should I maneuver to milk as much approval from them as I can?

This has been stated before, but we added a bit of UI in the quest journal that suggests which companions have the most investment in which quests.

Of course, a companion's investment in a quest may not be strictly advantageous to a player, depending on said player's choices.

For example, Serafen is a recommended companion for Crookspur - but you can make choices there that will result in him leaving the party.

• Like 4

You're very likely not going to be able to please everyone. A couple of late game choices might end up with a companion leaving the party- for example, if a character is loyal to a particular faction and you act openly (eg violently) against that faction, well...

But that's all really late game stuff. Just go with your gut

And what about the approval of my companions? Should I exercise myself trying to please everyone because it will guarantee more satisfying endings for them or are such attempts futile?

If I'm not mistaken, the companion's endings are influenced by:

1. How you complete their personal quests.

2. Your interactions/conversations with them.

So, if you want the best endings, you'll have to bring them with on the relevant quests and choose certain dialogue options.

On the other hand, the whole approval system is more for the romance aspect of the game. If you want to "date" a certain companion, then you have to butter up to them during dialogue. Otherwise, you don't need to knock yourself out to please everyone. 

• Like 2

And what about the approval of my companions? Should I exercise myself trying to please everyone because it will guarantee more satisfying endings for them or are such attempts futile?

If I'm not mistaken, the companion's endings are influenced by:

1. How you complete their personal quests.

2. Your interactions/conversations with them.

So, if you want the best endings, you'll have to bring them with on the relevant quests and choose certain dialogue options.

On the other hand, the whole approval system is more for the romance aspect of the game. If you want to "date" a certain companion, then you have to butter up to them during dialogue. Otherwise, you don't need to knock yourself out to please everyone. 

Thank you very much!

• Like 1