Countdown shenanigans on Obsidian's homepage

not to be a wet blanket, but an arcanum inspired console rpg set in space does not appeal. am not suggesting this new game will be the directionless bugfest as were arcanum or that a new microsoft crpg will necessarily be tooled primarily towards consoles, but...

troika games, more than any other developer offerings, were disappointing to us.  weren't as if arcanum and toee were worst-game-ever material, but our expectations and hopes were so brutal dashed by reality o' the actual games.  toee had the basis o' a nice d&d combat engine.  sure, toee reach weapons and aoo were comical busted, but nevertheless, toee offered the best tb implementation o' d&d combat in a crpg to-date.  everything else toee sucked.  only slight hyperbole. were a poor paint-by-numbers simulacrum o' a pnp d&d module w/o any effort to breathe life into encounters, locations or characters.  were a buggy and largely unplayable mess until fan patches were released.  and what more can we say 'bout arcanum? 

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66481-chance-for-a-arcanumesque-sequel-to-pillars/?p=1468720

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66481-chance-for-a-arcanumesque-sequel-to-pillars/?p=1468834

arcanum were possible our most disappointing game purchase evar.

didn't play the troika vampire game.  fool Gromnir twice...

so, to say we are guarded 'bout our expectations regarding the upcoming obsidian game is understatement.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps am also fundamental disagreeing with a few recent tim cain game development observations... while enthusiastic in agreement with other such observations.  

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92420-tim-cain-at-reboot-develop-2017-building-a-better-rpg-seven-mistakes-to-avoid/?p=1908891

has us wanting to be optimistic, but am equal parts concerned 'bout a forthcoming tim cain game.  

Does Gromnir have a mouse in his pocket?

Anyway, I thought we were talking about the art, not the mechanics, since we already know it is an action (rp)game.

I just hope it doesn't have IE type graphics like Pillars, Tyranny or older games like Baldurs Gate. It shouldn't be ugly, it deserves to be pretty and detailed enough to be able zoom in on without looking like crap (assuming it may be in isometric far view in the first place).

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Vampire was their best game by such a huge margin.. I'd highly recommend you check it out. I might even have a few extra keys lying around collecting e-dust.

Best? Best?! How can you say that when you can't even kill a werewolf in it with your skills. You have to use the really big doors to do it. Totally bogus. Bad design. Sad!

RIP Visceris.

• Like 7

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

HUZZAH!

Does anyone know what the "Auntie Cleo's" is supposed to be referencing?

I just hope, it's not something like Aunt Irma from IT Crowd O.o

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

HUZZAH!

Does anyone know what the "Auntie Cleo's" is supposed to be referencing?

I just hope, it's not something like Aunt Irma from IT Crowd O.o

I hope she's larger than life, and an oracle of sorts!

Like...

22tuhy.jpg

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Vampire was their best game by such a huge margin.. I'd highly recommend you check it out. I might even have a few extra keys lying around collecting e-dust.

Best? Best?! How can you say that when you can't even kill a werewolf in it with your skills. You have to use the really big doors to do it. Totally bogus. Bad design. Sad!

RIP Visceris.

Sounds like a good reason to me.  Vampires suck... ;) 

But, even in that universe, werewolves hunt vampires.  That's why I still hold out hope that Harebrained Schemes will take over the Werewolf game and make it Werewolf Run: Denver, so that I can go around as a werewolf shredding effete vampires :)

• Like 1

"1 is 1"

What do you think the odds are that it'll be a console exclusive?  Because that would be a crushing blow for me.  I'm just way too much of a keyboard + mouse guy to ever make the switch to consoles.  Every attempt I've ever made to use a gamepad has ended in frustration.

That would make little sense. It’s not Microsoft sponsored game just yet, and I doubt Obs and Take2 would have much business limiting game release to console. Even if Microsoft will inherit the project with Obs purchase (I can’t see Micr logos anywere in the teasers, so my guess would be that it’s Obsidians pre-purchase commitment to Take-2) the buyout happened very recently. Doubt it would have much influence on development a this stage.

What do you think the odds are that it'll be a console exclusive?  Because that would be a crushing blow for me.  I'm just way too much of a keyboard + mouse guy to ever make the switch to consoles.  Every attempt I've ever made to use a gamepad has ended in frustration.

That would make little sense. It’s not Microsoft sponsored game just yet, and I doubt Obs and Take2 would have much business limiting game release to console. Even if Microsoft will inherit the project with Obs purchase (I can’t see Micr logos anywere in the teasers, so my guess would be that it’s Obsidians pre-purchase commitment to Take-2) the buyout happened very recently. Doubt it would have much influence on development a this stage.

Good to hear.  There was just a lot of talk about Microsoft buying Obsidian and inXile in order to have them make console exclusives, so it seemed plausible that they might shelve the PC version of this game (at least for a while).  Although Microsoft also make this niche OS for PCs, and maybe they'd want to release it on that simultaneously.

Also, I've seen a fair bit of talk elsewhere speculating that this might be some sort of Bioshock game, which...I hope not (I'm also pretty sure it won't be, since they've stated several times that it's a new IP).

When Obsidian started working with 2K, I did think it'd be really cool if they made an RPG that let me explore Rapture when it was still a living city (I also thought a Borderlands RPG could be great), but I'm much more excited about a whole new retrofuturistic space opera.  Right now I'm extrapolating a sort of spiritual successor to Fallout, with the raygun gothic aesthetic applied to space rather than post-apocalypse.

Non-existant. It's a multiplatform game for PC, PS4 and Xbox.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

I remember gold box games from SSI. There was one particular sci-fi cRPG as fun as Pool of Radiance and rest of gold box series - Buck Rogers. There is pretty good story why SSI made AD&D game with that license (Matt Barton made interview with people from SSI). Buck Rogers has that oldschool retro sci-fi atmosphere I would like to see in new game from Obsidian team.

Edited by Silvaren
  • Like 1

giphy.gif

I am excited by the mere idea of simply knowing more about this project a week from now. :p

Tim Cain's 2017 talk on RPGs and seven common mistakes that he and other developers have made in the past give me VERY high hopes for this project and I already know I'm going to love the art direction based on the two teasers alone.

Obsidian are now my go to developers for when I want a deep, singleplayer RPG experience. CD Projekt RED are fine too, but I feel they make more action oriented games with RPG elements and who even knows how far Cyberpunk 2077 is from release. And Bethesda Game Studios? Ha! I have seriously lowered my expectations with their releases. Fallout 4 was shallow as hell and Fallout 76 is just... well... There's plenty of vitriol online that pretty much reflects my feelings towards the game. Fastest I have ever refunded a game.

But Obsidian? They are one of only a few beams of light, cutting through the smog and the layers of crap that is the modern gaming industry.

TL:DR; I'm excited.

• Like 5

I am excited by the mere idea of simply knowing more about this project a week from now. :p

Tim Cain's 2017 talk on RPGs and seven common mistakes that he and other developers have made in the past give me VERY high hopes for this project and I already know I'm going to love the art direction based on the two teasers alone.

Obsidian are now my go to developers for when I want a deep, singleplayer RPG experience. CD Projekt RED are fine too, but I feel they make more action oriented games with RPG elements and who even knows how far Cyberpunk 2077 is from release. And Bethesda Game Studios? Ha! I have seriously lowered my expectations with their releases. Fallout 4 was shallow as hell and Fallout 76 is just... well... There's plenty of vitriol online that pretty much reflects my feelings towards the game. Fastest I have ever refunded a game.

But Obsidian? They are one of only a few beams of light, cutting through the smog and the layers of crap that is the modern gaming industry.

I really enjoyed that talk Cain gave. I might have to rewatch it now. Obsidian is indeed a lonely beam of light.

• Like 4

Birds of a feather!  Have you played Arcanum, per chance?

I really enjoyed that talk Cain gave. I might have to rewatch it now. Obsidian is indeed a lonely beam of light.

Do you have the link to this?  I am interested in listening to this interview.

"1 is 1"

Good to hear.  There was just a lot of talk about Microsoft buying Obsidian and inXile in order to have them make console exclusives, so it seemed plausible that they might shelve the PC version of this game (at least for a while).  Although Microsoft also make this niche OS for PCs, and maybe they'd want to release it on that simultaneously.

The talk has been about "Xbox exclusive" which is not the same as "console exclusive." But Microsoft has nothing to do with this game anyway.

Non-existant. It's a multiplatform game for PC, PS4 and Xbox.

Yup. New IP, AAA, and multiplatform are the three things about this game that kept coming up again and again from OE itself since the project began.

*Approaches with caution*

*Anticipates*

*Breathes heavily*

*Hope to God that it's good and not buggy*

*Waits for pre-purchase button*

• Like 3

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Dude! It was the best! You could have an argument with a STOP-sign! And lose!

• Like 5

Nerf Troubadour!