Countdown shenanigans on Obsidian's homepage

Edit: I like this artwork so much 

sc-weapon.jpg

gaming-bioshock-infinite-reversable-cove

e6dd711b4475dea31bff085e89d58784.jpg

If The Outer Worlds will have a similar vibe to the posters and images above, I'll fin-de-siecle and la belle epoque till the end!

ac-skin-cream.jpg

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Cautious optimism rising.

All I'm really hoping for, though, is character systems, reactivity and interactivity worth a damn. It's too rare in the mainstream market.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

There was an earlier this year kind-of-interview with the duo (which I'm too lazy to look up and link - feel free to google it :p ) saying that the game is a AAA rpg - true rpg (they insisted on that) with no microtrasnactions.

This is the most in-depth single source that I recall having seen.

“It was the opportunity to work with Tim on a new IP that we were creating from scratch again, because we did it on Fallout and Arcanum and those were great experiences and I just missed doing that, says Boyarsky, who most recently worked on Diablo III for Blizzard. “I missed working on single-player, in-depth RPGs with a lot of choice, consequence, and reactivity. I like making other types of games, but there is something special about the kind of games we started with Fallout that really appeals to us and speaks to us creatively.”

The duo plans to reveal more about the project at a later date, but Cain says “If people have liked our previous RPGs they're going to like this one in terms of how we make reactive worlds and especially our style of humor.”

• Like 9

Optmist me: "The Fallout killer is nearly here"

Realist me: "It is probably going to suck"

Fanboy me: "Oh you guys know I'm going to pre-purchase it as soon as the release date is revealed or pee-odors are initiated"

I wonder if it will be console focused or just on pc.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

not to be a wet blanket, but an arcanum inspired console rpg set in space does not appeal. am not suggesting this new game will be the directionless bugfest as were arcanum or that a new microsoft crpg will necessarily be tooled primarily towards consoles, but...

troika games, more than any other developer offerings, were disappointing to us.  weren't as if arcanum and toee were worst-game-ever material, but our expectations and hopes were so brutal dashed by reality o' the actual games.  toee had the basis o' a nice d&d combat engine.  sure, toee reach weapons and aoo were comical busted, but nevertheless, toee offered the best tb implementation o' d&d combat in a crpg to-date.  everything else toee sucked.  only slight hyperbole. were a poor paint-by-numbers simulacrum o' a pnp d&d module w/o any effort to breathe life into encounters, locations or characters.  were a buggy and largely unplayable mess until fan patches were released.  and what more can we say 'bout arcanum? 

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66481-chance-for-a-arcanumesque-sequel-to-pillars/?p=1468720

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66481-chance-for-a-arcanumesque-sequel-to-pillars/?p=1468834

arcanum were possible our most disappointing game purchase evar.

didn't play the troika vampire game.  fool Gromnir twice...

so, to say we are guarded 'bout our expectations regarding the upcoming obsidian game is understatement.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps am also fundamental disagreeing with a few recent tim cain game development observations... while enthusiastic in agreement with other such observations.  

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92420-tim-cain-at-reboot-develop-2017-building-a-better-rpg-seven-mistakes-to-avoid/?p=1908891

has us wanting to be optimistic, but am equal parts concerned 'bout a forthcoming tim cain game.  

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)