6 character party for new game plus

Incidentally, if you go back to PoE1 after playing Deadfire for some time, you instantly notice something significant: in-battle pathfinding in PoE1 is terrible. I would actually go so far as to argue that it's your most likely cause of death (or at least very serious trouble).

Thankfully, it's so much better in Deadfire, although it's not quite perfect.

If u havent played kingmaker yet, ur in for a treat.

Think consequences of pathfinding in poe amplified by speed of combat, so less margin for wonky pathfinding.

If ur mage in bg went walking the wrong way for 1 second, it werent so bad. If ur mage with fast runner in poe went running the wrong way for 1 second, goodbye mage.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Incidentally, if you go back to PoE1 after playing Deadfire for some time, you instantly notice something significant: in-battle pathfinding in PoE1 is terrible. I would actually go so far as to argue that it's your most likely cause of death (or at least very serious trouble).

I'll never forget the time when two characters were running in circle around a bear in the WM. :facepalm:

sign.jpg

If it's consoles, why is the number five, then? (I'm not that familiar with consoles, I have to say.)

Don't worry about it. People seem to return to "dumbed down for consoles" argument, even though it makes any sense, game isn't designed for console, and people working on the port are not Obsidian, and design of Deadfire and it's reliance on active use of abilities make the game far less appropriate for controller.

Obsidian decided to go with the party of 5 - they believed game used enough active abilities to keep players occupied, and they would rather see you use those than have apassive 6th member. They also mentioned that they felt they had to overcrowded encounters to match players party.

In short they decided game would be better with the party of 5, rather than 6 and designed game systems and UI for that party.

• Like 3

Thing is, reducing number of party members to cut down on micromanagement doesn't make much sense in Deadfire, because many characters can be auto-piloted on scripts alone.

And the concept of those scripts are great. It adds another layer of control that is delightful to plan and execute.

Did you know that the best RPG in the world, Dragon Age Origins, also has scripts? It does! It also has no Pallegina or other vailians. It has an Oghren. And a dog! Best game ever, I tell you.

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

Thing is, reducing number of party members to cut down on micromanagement doesn't make much sense in Deadfire, because many characters can be auto-piloted on scripts alone.

Now the question is, did Obsidian treat auto-piloted scripts as recommended (intended) way of play, or is just a more complex UI for those who want to use it?

Personally, I keep the AI off.

Scripts are a good idea, apparently there is was very vocal audience for the walk-toggle and it seems that there is an audience for the 6th party member. I disagree that 6th party member should have been there by default, if Obs things otherwise. But considering the seeming demand adding a 6th party member as Berath's Blessing might be a good idea. If it is worth the effort only Obsidian can decide that, I have no idea how much issues could that cause. 

And the concept of those scripts are great. It adds another layer of control that is delightful to plan and execute.

Did you know that the best RPG in the world, Dragon Age Origins, also has scripts? It does! It also has no Pallegina or other vailians. It has an Oghren. And a dog! Best game ever, I tell you.

You should try Final Fantasy 12.

• Like 1

I tried the AI but I couldn't find the option for the characters to not move. So I just disabled it.

Is there such an option? For example, have a melee character stand still unless an enemy comes within range?

If you set their default behavior to Defensive I believe they have a smaller range of attacking enemies, i.e. the enemies have to come closer before the character will begin attacking them.

I tried the AI but I couldn't find the option for the characters to not move. So I just disabled it.

Is there such an option? For example, have a melee character stand still unless an enemy comes within range?

Well, not really. I use my POE1 trick with the tank bottlenecking a place and having the "attack only when attacked"-policy.

Nerf Troubadour!

Ive gone back to poe1 lately to prep another character for forbidden sanctum. Honestly, its striking how much more cluttered it feels than deadfire - or even baldurs gate or kingmaker.

Thankfully, it's so much better in Deadfire, although it's not quite perfect.

Definitely. It took me a very long time to summon the energy to get through PoE 1 because of the terrible pathfinding issues and it's probably the number one reason I haven't revisited the game although I've been meaning to take another character through both games. 

4 members felt a bit too small for a party in Tyranny but 5 in Deadfire is probably the right number. 

If you set their default behavior to Defensive I believe they have a smaller range of attacking enemies, i.e. the enemies have to come closer before the character will begin attacking them.

Well, not really. I use my POE1 trick with the tank bottlenecking a place and having the "attack only when attacked"-policy.

Ok. I tried that, but they get closer and my tank start moving... :facepalm:

sign.jpg