6 character party for new game plus

New Magran Challenge.

You get 6 party members, but every time you rest there is 5-10% chance a random (including MC) character permadies in their sleep.

Man, inventing challenges is easy.

Edited by Frak

Nerf Troubadour!

So, an adult Vela? :)

Adult pregnant Vela. Will have strange cravings for specific foods at any given time.

If food is not given, will have alliance flipped during combat with unarmed, friendly-fire carnage.

We'll call it Hyleas challenge (adult version, with doube-entendre and stuff).

• Like 2

Nerf Troubadour!

It's not that easy because they stated several times that 6 party members would require a lot of work on the UI.

From a logistical / design point of view, I actually wonder what this means. I'm not saying they're wrong, of course, but on the surface it doesn't look like the claim is valid, which is precisely why I'd like to know the reasoning behind it.

Never got the point of NGplus in RPG. 

Force players to spend more time with the game, pretty much. Some games (like FFT0) even make content locked behind a NG+, so you HAVE to play at least twice to see everything.

It's not that easy because they stated several times that 6 party members would require a lot of work on the UI.

From a logistical / design point of view, I actually wonder what this means. I'm not saying they're wrong, of course, but on the surface it doesn't look like the claim is valid, which is precisely why I'd like to know the reasoning behind it.

It means a designer will have to sit down and figure out how to incorporate the sixth character without messing up the current UI. And if the game was programmed with 5 characters in mind, adding another would mean having to rewrite a ton of code. Then again, Obs likes to rewrite their own games so who knows :>

• Like 1

Besides that it could be a nice part of Berath's Blessings.

When? During game development?

That would be retarded. Putting UI before design is like... new low.

Plus it's not like they didn't make any game with 6 party members before.

Vancian =/= per rest.

And if the game was programmed with 5 characters in mind, adding another would mean having to rewrite a ton of code.

They implied that is the case. Sorry, but I don't remember the source...

They probably decided early that there would be only 5 members in party.

sign.jpg

Consoles and controllers

Besides that it could be a nice part of Berath's Blessings.

I really despise the use of the word "retarded" in such a way.

It's certainly not a good way to communicate if you really want a reasonable answer - at least from me.

But if that wasn't your goal in the first place then ok. ;)

But no. Your conclusions are wrong. The reason for 5 party members was that in PoE and Deadfire there are a lot more active abilities for martial chars/classes and thus the management/visuals/etc. of encounters was a lot more cluttered than in the old Infinity games (where fighters etc. mostly used auto-attacks). That was one reason. There were more but that doesn't matter now.

So... After that decision was made for Deadfire lots of people asked if it would be easy to mod the game so that you could have 6 party members. And the answer was that it's in fact pretty complicated because the whole UI (but also dialogue/banter/reactivity/xp gain maybe) was layed out for max 5 party members now.

So a Berath's Blessing with 6 party members would require a lot of work and thus will most likely not make it. But it would be nice indeed.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If it's consoles, why is the number five, then? (I'm not that familiar with consoles, I have to say.)

IMHO 4 will be best for consoles and controllers. You have less to control. Many TB RPGs having just 4 on consoles like original sins. They tried that with Tyranny.

Calling is successor to baldurs gate with only 4 certainly wouldn't cut it. So they go with 5. Well if they have plan for multiplayer aka moba, mostly having 5 as well. So that makes a good number.

Of course this is his my opinion. I'm sure many won't hesitate to attack me :)

Consoles and controllers
That was not one of the reasons they mentioned. Can't say if they had this in mind, but I think 6 or 5 party members doesn't make a big difference for a controller. Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ive gone back to poe1 lately to prep another character for forbidden sanctum. Honestly, its striking how much more cluttered it feels than deadfire - or even baldurs gate or kingmaker.

'Rounds' are faster in poe than in dnd, where everyones on a 6 second loop. Base movement speed is higher. The faster pace requires u to micro more. Ur martial classes have more to do than basic attack. Even ur spellcasters are busier bcs theyre casting more spells in combat rather than prebuffing - and spellcasting time is generally shorter in poe.

Like the 6 person party in poe1 is far from an unplayable dealbreaker imo, but 5 feels closer to the systems sweet spot.

• Like 2

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Ive gone back to poe1 lately to prep another character for forbidden sanctum. Honestly, its striking how much more cluttered it feels than deadfire - or even baldurs gate or kingmaker.

Incidentally, if you go back to PoE1 after playing Deadfire for some time, you instantly notice something significant: in-battle pathfinding in PoE1 is terrible. I would actually go so far as to argue that it's your most likely cause of death (or at least very serious trouble).

Thankfully, it's so much better in Deadfire, although it's not quite perfect.

• Like 1