What's Up With Quest Level Indicators?

I have seen that too. I can handle 1-2 red skull beasties as long as supporting forces are minimal or non existent. I play on standard difficulty. You can always lower the difficulty for one fight. :)

That's true, but that just makes me feel dirty. :)

I did a quest last night which had no skulls which means it is my level. It was quite a surprise to run into a three red skull bad guy. One of my favorite weapons is the Essence Disrupter bow available in Maje at the beginning of the game. It is expensive but is great.

Seems to be a bug of some kind. Pretty sure the devs knows about it.

I had it with the Sepulchers (Sacred Stairs) in Neketaka. Every risen skeleton was 3 red skulls and pretty much instagibbed my party. It was like swatting Pterodactylus with a fly swatter.

Nerf Troubadour!

The skull UI is pretty confusing. From what I understand is this:

Skulls above map combat encounter, show fight difficulty compared to your level (one extra skulls, one difficulty higher than you).

The same with quests: amount of skulls: recommended quest level is that much higher than yours.

The same logic applies to individual enemies: amount of skulls in their stat sheet - how many levels is the enemy higher than you. However, it doesn't mean that your party isn't meant to defeat that enemy. It is common to see couple enemies of much higher level than your party, often surrounded by weaker enemies. 

That said, if you encounter extreme cases like @Frak mentioned, it might be worth reporting in the bug section. I remember that area being tough, but can't say I remember exact details. 

The Hanging Sepulchers has been one of the worst. For the last 6 levels the journal indicates that this quest is at my level, but I still get crushed by 8-10 3 white and/or red skulled enemies attacking me at once. The difficulty of the enemies seems to keep increasing at the same rate as my character. If this is a bug and hasn't been fixed by now I doubt that it will be.

It seems it differs for different people.

I've tried it with two different chars, within the last month, and the risens were 3 red skulls each. With the added aggro bug pulling more enemies, I ditched the quest for the time being. Both chars had done pretty much the same questing.

At the same time, a current "Lets Play" on youtube (same difficulty, same level IIRC) also had a hard time, but the skeletons weren't 3 red skulls. So it seems your mileage might vary, depending on factors I cannot observe.

Nerf Troubadour!

I did that about a week ago and the herd of skeletons were one white skull each. I died the first time through but got them the second time. If the bad guys stay just as hard when you level, check your options and see if that box is checked. As far as the first group of Risen, they were red skulls, but when you first encounter them run from the room and one of them usually follows you. I can usually kill one rad skull baddie at a time.

Edited by msyoung

I did that about a week ago and the herd of skeletons were one white skull each. I died the first time through but got them the second time. If the bad guys stay just as hard when you level, check your options and see if that box is checked. As far as the first group of Risen, they were red skulls, but when you first encounter them run from the room and one of them usually follows you. I can usually kill one rad skull baddie at a time.

I don't think I have a system-wide setting causing these guys to stay at high level, as other quests did not maintain the unexpected high level baddies after I gained a few more levels. When I encountered the first wandering enemy I was able to isolate him and take him down by himself, but with the others it seems I can't pull a single enemy. The whole team seems to want to participate in squashing me.

At what character level have people successfully gotten through this tomb? My party is level 11 and still getting destroyed here.

Last time I went through there I believe my party was level 9. Could be wrong because it has been several days and my party is now level 14. I assume you have enchantable weapons and armor and have all 5 members. The skeletons do come in waves.

Edited by msyoung

Last time I went through there I believe my party was level 9. Could be wrong because it has been several days and my party is now level 14. I assume you have enchantable weapons and armor and have all 5 members. The skeletons do come in waves.

I do have all 5 members, but I admit that my gear isn't fully enchanted at this point. But I don't think that should make that much of a difference. My current problem is that we are just getting overwhelmed by the number of 3 skull enemies in a single fight. I will fully enchant my equipment (I have about 25,000 cp right now) as much as I can (though some of the current enchantments will cost 15,000) and see how much it helps.

When I went there the skeletons were either one skull or no skull, don't remember which. A change from my original post but I do remember they were not a challenge, all members of my party were still alive.

Edited by msyoung

I did the Sepulcher a few days ago, with party level 7 or 8 on Veteran (party of Eder, Xoti, Aloth, Serafen, and MC Monk). The Risen enemies were all 3 skulls, but the quest seemed to show it was an appropriate level. I was able to do it, but it was definitely the hardest quest/area I've done. The bestiary showed that Risen skeletons are level 10 by default though, so I figured 3

skulls made sense. There were other level 12 enemies too, but my guess is the intended level would be around 10?

It seems like the quest indicator might be wrong, but the enemy indicators are correct?

(I made it through with my MC getting knocked out twice, and using pretty much every Empower point I had)

I remember when we didn't rely on games to hold our hand every damn step of the way.

Turn off quest level indicators, and try playing the game.

Sounds like you're the one that has a problem. Try relying on facts and not assumptions. It makes you look stupid.

I remember when we didn't rely on games to hold our hand every damn step of the way.

Turn off quest level indicators, and try playing the game.

Sounds like you're the one that has a problem. Try relying on facts and not assumptions. It makes you look stupid.
Fact: it's possible to play through this game on POTD with level indicators turned off entirely and never have any serious problems. Try taking off the training wheels, then you'll see tough enemies as obstacles to overcome, rather than bugs to report on the forums. Edited by Yosharian

Fact: it's possible to play through this game on POTD with level indicators turned off entirely and never have any serious problems. Try taking off the training wheels.

Why don't you try not being such an arrogant ass?

• Like 1

Fact: it's possible to play through this game on POTD with level indicators turned off entirely and never have any serious problems. Try taking off the training wheels.

Just try it.

Just try it.

No thanks. It's a freakin' game, a simple form of entertainment. And I certainly don't pay heed to the words of those with pompous attitudes.

I don't see the point of this argument. Everyone plays games the way they want to. This is entertainment, nothing more. You are not learning how to be SEALs here, just trying to relax and enjoy yourself. What I like to do, you probably won't and that is okay.

• Like 2

In my personal opinion having quest level indicators is pointless but then again I mostly play with as little extra information as possible (big fan of expert mode here but not really into the path of the damned nonsense). 

This reminds me of what I hated the most about the Witcher 3, all the level gating and all the pointless levels everywhere. 

With that being said if you're going to put that sort of nonsense in your game you should make sure it is working as planned. 

With that being said if you're going to put that sort of nonsense in your game you should make sure it is working as planned. 

Which was really the original concept behind me creating this thread. I was wondering if there was something more I should know about the mechanism in place. It wasn't intended for some elitist to come in here with his equivalent of 'git gud.'

I haven't found anything wrong with the quest level indicators so far, but sometimes the skulls for individual encounters can be very misleading. It is, of course, a question of approach and tactics, but it's not rare to come across a "one white skull" beastie that is significantly more difficult than a "three red skulls" one.