Looking for build advice - Assassin/Skaen priest

I'm working on a guide but I expect it to take awhile as I'm trying to be thorough and also balancing a Helwalker/Trickster playthrough as well.  I suspect a post about all the nuances of a stealth focused game (both relying on it for offense and defense) might be more illuminating to people though.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing a guide on this. I'm partial to solo runs, and this is quite different from the kinds of solo runs I've tried.

What did you go with stat-wise? 

Edited by whimper

I'd certainly be interested in seeing a guide on this. I'm partial to solo runs, and this is quite different from the kinds of solo runs I've tried.

What did you go with stat-wise? 

Glad to hear that there's interest!  I wasn't sure people would be interested as the build does use a lot of different strategies that are considered "cheesy" and is not much of a powergaming build.  

Don't have access to my rig right now but I can give rough figures.  You don't need it but I do use BB as the game is rough enough as is playing this way.

Race: Anything but Godlike.  Godlike PL bonuses don't make up for the loss of the helm slot where we have a lot of fun juicy options (yes I know about the PL scaling bonuses on Sneak Attack, I value the utility more).  Some of those options like Revku's Casque and Deltro's I'd consider necessary to get through some fights.  Plus I can't stand the way Godlike look.  Personally I prefer Wood Elf for the aesthetics and the racial as effects like paralyze are more or less death sentences.

Might: 14-16~ 

While we are a rogue and have substantial additive damage boosts the healing bonus is nice to have.  Also allows us to work ourselves into a position where we can use Amra effectively which can be a early solid 2H and late as well.

Con: 10~

I wouldn't dump it as we won't be able to deflection stack enough to survive an alpha volley.  Wouldn't mind more honestly.

Dex: MAX

This needs to be as high as possible.  We want this build to be as reactive as possible and it's the kind of situation where you want to be able to switch up or sequence the next action as soon as possible.

Per: 12-14~

Most of our casts are self buffs and if we need more we can get the Aware inspiration from Priest.  This one is pretty flexible.  If you really want you can drop it to 10 or so if you don't mind playing pixel hunt to see traps.  Remember that Per 20 is needed to solo acquire Last Word.

Int: MAX

Another one that has to be as high as possible.  All our buffs get extended.  This includes Smoke Veil, Shadowing Beyond, BDD, etc.  Expands Thunderous Report AoE and Mortar/Rod range.  Shove it as high as you can.  Get more.

Res: 10-12~

You can get away with about this much.  I wouldn't drop it lower myself as hostile effect duration does matter for this build.

• Like 1

The high Might allotment is interesting, given all of the passive damage boosts rogues get. But I guess in this set up you also want Might to boost Cleric AOE, healing spells, and rogue DoT effects?

Correct.  One of the key ways this build self sustains is to use Triumph of the Crusaders and setup kills so that we reduce incoming damage and heal ourselves at the same time.  You don't have to add more to Might and those points could be spent elsewhere.  But it is a consideration to make.  Keep in mind also that it does allow you to unlock Amra's potential which I would argue is a better option for this build than Oathbreakers.

It's mostly important to just avoid the malus though.  You could just as easily put it into other stats and still have be relatively good.

I've been trying this build out (largely based on tips above).  Trying to decide between using Amra vs. WoEP for melee, and the Watershaper's Focus rod (I though the bounce plus AOE would be good for applying Rogue DOTs).  With Amra, I'm having a hard time hitting the might requirement to trigger that insta-kills (even with might buffed by Minor Avatar).

Opening out of stealth with Storm of Holy Fire empowered seems to be a pretty good alpha strike as well, almost more than trying to use the rod to spread DOTs. 

Any other tips for gear?  I threw on Ajument's stalking cloak for more from-stealth goodness on the AOEs. 

I went with 8+2 CON (10) with Berath Blessing, but I'm thinking maybe it can be dropped even more to buff up MIG or PER, given I don't seem to be getting hit a lot (on Veteran) and the tools the build has to avoid damage / heal (including BDD). 

I've been trying this build out (largely based on tips above).  Trying to decide between using Amra vs. WoEP for melee, and the Watershaper's Focus rod (I though the bounce plus AOE would be good for applying Rogue DOTs).  With Amra, I'm having a hard time hitting the might requirement to trigger that insta-kills (even with might buffed by Minor Avatar).

Opening out of stealth with Storm of Holy Fire empowered seems to be a pretty good alpha strike as well, almost more than trying to use the rod to spread DOTs. 

Any other tips for gear?  I threw on Ajument's stalking cloak for more from-stealth goodness on the AOEs. 

I went with 8+2 CON (10) with Berath Blessing, but I'm thinking maybe it can be dropped even more to buff up MIG or PER, given I don't seem to be getting hit a lot (on Veteran) and the tools the build has to avoid damage / heal (including BDD). 

My personal preference is for Chronoprismatic Staff.  WotEP has low base damage and it's more important imo to drop targets ASAP, especially wizards, clerics, and ranged rogues.  A backstab full attack from that weapon will likely drop the target low enough that a Toxic Strike DoT will kill them.  This is important because the AI will auto swap to healing the target if they can and even cast spells like Withdraw or Beetle Shell, effectively making your actions pointless.  It may be different on Veteran, but the scaling on PotD makes standing and fighting hard to do unless the fight is stacked in your favor for various reasons (part of the difficulty of this build is knowing when you can stand and fight and when you have to use other tactics).  I have more tests I want to run on other weapons though.  I want to confirm some thoughts with Voidwheel and Engolio de Espirs.

One other thing worth mentioning is the increased reach of Chronoprismatic makes it easier to land backstabs both on approach and when targets are moving around.  There is nothing more tilting then losing a backstab due to an enemy moving out of range.

Amra probably requires 16+2(BB) Might and then a +2 might gloves.  That way Triumph of the Crusaders propels you to 25 and that should last for ages compared to Minor Avatar which is much shorter due to the PL bonus that Triumph gets.  Also will naturally boost your survivability as you start killing en masse.

Storm of holy fire will only get the assassinate bonus on the first hit.  After that it's a normal spell.  My experience on PotD so far is that it's situational in its usefulness.

Kitchen Stove - Thunderous Report is per encounter and does immense damage as an opener.

Hand Mortar - Send Serafen to get a titjob from Ondra.  Nice and easy way to apply afflictions in an AoE and the no recovery cost on firing is really valuable as it allows you to instantly follow up with a different action.  

DoC Breastplate - BiS.  The extra resources plus the adra bath from the luminous bathhouse gets you 12 guile total which really helps.  Other things like self mending and con affliction resist are nice to have as well.

Gauntlet of Hylea - Not safe early on to use, but later on it works well.  The DoT that gets applied is strong.

Helm of Grotto Deep - Applies a DoT whose save is calculated using Poison rules (Alchemy).  It's not especially strong but every bit can help.  Plus the +2 int helps with increase the range of your AoEs.

Revku's Fractured Casque - Is useful for some fights where you are going to be massively outnumbered and can't afford an interrupt.  Especially good in fights where you can't drop combat and you will be surrounded (Pirate Ships).

Platinated Plate - Worth keeping around as a option for dealing with no escape fights.

Epsilon (Pet) - Gives stride and armor recovery.  I like the additional stride as it makes arterial kiting easier and repositioning faster.

Nomad's Brigandine - Nice for immunity to disenagement.  Gipon is a bit too paper for this build.  With things like the striding cloak, you can swing on melee and then run away before their attack animation completes allowing you to dodge their damage 100%.

Bronlar's or Cladu Scalith or Akola's - Again, good for certain circumstances.

Cap of the Laughingstock - We don't rely on resolve afflictions so the -10 deflection to enemies can be worth it.  

Just some thoughts.

Edited by guildwriter
  • Like 2

Great tips thanks.  Engilio de Espiris could be good if (as I remember) it's an Estoc, as with Amra I'm only seeing 12 pen at present (not using food) and that's low for some enemies. I think the Watershaper Focus rod only has 10 pen.

I'm wearing Miscreant Leather but definitely wondered about DoC for Guile ... i think it wil check it out.

Mask of Grotto Deep - that's a great tip, thanks.

I guess moving to Hand Mortar/Kitchen Stove and Cadhu Scalth (presuming you're already stacking metaphysics for Chromoprismatic Staff dmg) is a reasonable backup.  Did you take the talent for an extra weapon set?

Great tips thanks.  Engilio de Espiris could be good if (as I remember) it's an Estoc, as with Amra I'm only seeing 12 pen at present (not using food) and that's low for some enemies. I think the Watershaper Focus rod only has 10 pen.

I'm wearing Miscreant Leather but definitely wondered about DoC for Guile ... i think it wil check it out.

Mask of Grotto Deep - that's a great tip, thanks.

I guess moving to Hand Mortar/Kitchen Stove and Cadhu Scalth (presuming you're already stacking metaphysics for Chromoprismatic Staff dmg) is a reasonable backup.  Did you take the talent for an extra weapon set?

12 pen is good as with Red Hot Skewers you're at 14.  That being said I encounter high crush armor a lot less than high slash or pierce so that's another check in the column for the Chromoprismatic.

Pen doesn't matter that much for the AoE weapons.  You're mostly using that to spread afflictions, not actually do damage.

I did, I also took deep pockets.  I might change it up though as I'm still experimenting.  I value the flexibility of weapon sets and items a lot.  Worth noting you should drop Escape and Shadowing Beyond for Rogue and pick something else instead.  It's rare that you need to escape more than twice and Shadowing Beyond is expensive enough that spending 3 guild per usage cripples your offensive resources.