Fallout 4 and 76: Cautionary Tales

Michael_Galt

What are your favorite Obsidian games?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What is your #1 favorite Obsidian game?

• POE: Deadfire
    • POE 1
    • Tyranny
    • Alpha Protocol
    • Fallout: New Vegas
    • NWN 2
    • South Park: Stick of Truth
    • Dungeon Siege III
    • KOTOR 2
  2. 2. What is your 2nd favorite Obsidian game?

3. 3. What is your third favorite Obsidian game?

For me list really lacks an expansion for NWN2 - Mask of the Betrayer.

NWN2 itself, was like OK, nothing more, but MOTW on the other hand, had a great story.

Definitely in my TOP 10 RPG games.

I suspect OP meant NWN2 with both DLCs. Count MotB included.

• Like 1

Separately, it is interesting to see the breakdown of the votes thus far (though admittedly a small sample size).  Seems like for people's FAVORITE Obsidian game, the older games (F:NV, KOTOR 2, and NWN 2, in that order) definitely beat out Obsidian's newer games.  But, when you get to 2nd and 3rd favorite games, their newer games start to "take over".

ive noticed with nerds that generally there's something from adolescence that they have placed on a pedestal forever, and held to be untouchable and perfect and everything else is compared to it. and since nothing ever does then the rest of the games they like fall into recency bias

What does the op have to do with Fallout 4 and 76 cautionary tales? Fallout 4 outsold all ten Skyrims combined. People who actually paid to have online-mode for Fallout 4, instead of waiting for the inevitable fan mod, deserve a little heck for their imbecility. People need to remember their relationship to all these marketing people running the industry has nothing to do with delivering great games, so just never purchase day one to be sure. Never purchase on brand or company logo recognition, that's my cautionary tale.

I was not talking about economic viability in this post at all.  Because Fallout 4 "sold better" does not make it a "better" game.  That is the result of aggressive and successful marketing.  Lots of inferior products outsell better products because the inferior products are marketed better.  You can go to any aggregate score website, and F:NV scores better among consumers than does Fallout 4.  That is what makes it a better game. 

Given the fact that nearly 40% of the people who responded to this poll listed F:NV as their #1 favorite game by Obsidian... it is clear that people here want more games like F:NV than Fallout 4.  I don't think that people work at Obsidian because they hope to become multi-millionaires, they work there to work on the types of games that they like and enjoy.  Provided that they are able to afford the things they enjoy in life, they are probably content to not be making boatloads of money, but being able to make great cRPGs.  I'm all about capitalism and ambition, but sometimes you have to pick your values over potentially making more money.

It isn't clear in the op's first paragraph what the point of your post was, its buried somewhere in the body of the thing. In fact, I'm not seeing a cogent idea anywhere, until the fourth or fifth paragraph, where you tell me the point is "I like F:NV". Your real idea is even further away, spread across two or three more paragraphs. The title is at least misleading, don't you agree? I tried to find the lesson in your op, couldn't find one. My cautionary tale's better, I think. You can't expect people will meander with you through a haphazard formatted, stream-of-consciousness post. I mean, anybody can make a poll what their favorite obsi game is. You should have just stopped there m8. Also, I have no idea why you're talking about capitalism and multi millionaires in response. :p

Again, I apologize for failing to put that in the OP.  Without editing the OP to include what I wrote later, after I realized that I had not explicitly talked about that... really no way to "solve" that problem.  I feel like editing a post days after writing it... is bad form. 

The point of the poll for the favorite Obsidian game was meant to serve as a tool for helping Obsidian to get real feedback from their dedicated community.  The people on these forums would more than likely be Pillars of Eternity backers, right?  Except, despite the fact that those are those most recent games, there is a clear indication from the community that they might like POE, but in general, they LOVE F:NV and they really like KOTOR 2.  This remains the case despite the relative old age of those games.  The age of those games does not diminish the story-telling they did, or the quality of the writing. 

The point about the financial success of non-Obsidian titles is moot in this argument.  There are tons of games with ridiculous premises, that are horrible games by any objective standard of story-telling or intellectual stimulation, but are INCREDIBLY successful financially because they let people do something they want to do, but can't do in real life, or not as easily as they can in that game.  Obsidian games, have, by and large, been about excellent writing and storytelling. 

When someone who works in the videogame industry applies to work at Obsidian, they KNOW that the games that Obsidian makes are not the types of game that sell 50 million copies.  They know that if they go to Comicon that year, they will not find 1/2 the cosplayers in costumes from Obsidian's games.  They go to Obsidian because intelligent, thought provoking RPGs are the types of games they enjoy and want to make.  They go to Obsidian to "boost their resume" before applying to another major videogame studio that maybe DOES make those games that sell millions of copies, because they know that if they show that they worked at a studio known for making great games, they are much more likley to get accepted into the "big leagues". 

Now that Obsidian HAS been acquired by Microsoft and they DID get their "dream project" approved... I just hope that they don't make a game that has nothing in common with F:NV and KOTOR 2, but rather make a game that combines the best features of all their best games.  Both Bioware and Bethesda have strayed a long way from their roots, and financial successes or not, their latest games have NOT gotten very good consumer reviews and are generally considered to be worse games than what came before those games.  This is in spite of having plenty of money and large teams for development.  I just HOPE that Obsidian doesn't make their "dream project" into Fallout 4/76 or ME: Andromeda, whether that is more financially successful or not. 

Is that selfish of me?  Yes, it is.  I want high-quality, well-written RPGs.  That is the only type of video game I play.  None of those equals no video games for me.  I can survive without video games... but I would like for that to be an option, as opposed to a non-option.  I would happily pay 2 - 3 times the normal price of a video game if I was sure that it would be a quality RPG.  Right now I am VERY tentative about this new project because of some of the things that Tim Cain said a year ago.  It doesn't SOUND like a game that I will like, if it adopts a lot of those philosophies.  If I DON'T like it, and it is the "new Obsidian", then I can probably write off future Obsidian games the way that I have Bioware games and Bethesda games.  That would mean that I would have only CD Projekt Red and inXile to look forward to their games, and MAYBE Harebrained Studios, but maybe not.  I prefer Obsidian games to the games of all of those studios.  That means I would be left with studios that I like less. 

"1 is 1"

You can.

If you want to edit your thread title (don't think it will be confusing to adapt that to the actual poll) you use the "Edit" button under your opening post and then beneath that newly opened edit window there's the "Save"-button. Right next to the save button there's a button that say's "Use Full Editor". If you press thiat you can edit the title as well:

boom_edit.png?dl=1

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Either way, 20-30 big name Crpg's came out this year alone on Steam. They're there but you just gotta open your eyes and look. Even if Obsidian stopped making Crpg's this wouldn't jeopardize the genre in any way.

Uhh huh? Other than Deadfire and Kingmaker I didn't see anything :(

I tried searching for RPG on Steam but as soon as I did, the first big link was literally a game called "Hentai" for like, half a buck. I don't want to search anymore.

cmon, don't be mysterious and share the link, for research purposes ofc

maybe it is using your cookies to tailor results to your... needs :)

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am not condoning software piracy, I just thought this was funny:

1544197425615.png

I tried searching for RPG on Steam but as soon as I did, the first big link was literally a game called "Hentai" for like, half a buck. I don't want to search anymore.

Can't you filter nude content in the options?

cmon, don't be mysterious and share the link, for research purposes ofc

maybe it is using your cookies to tailor results to your... needs :)

My findings have discovered one game that meats most of his description in the now and trending listed at  .59

https://store.steampowered.com/app/927890/Hentai_Girl_Linda/

Can't you filter nude content in the options?

You can filter adult content out of your search.

Click on your profile name on the upper right, then go to store preferences that should lead you to the filter options

ximg_5b9815c64cc0a.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

ximg_5b9816b37f0c7.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

deos not sound like RPG to me, jesus but this got me xD

Characteristics
  • Can undress
  • Cheat Mode (F)
  • The gallery can be operated with one hand
Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That's because they were imaginary big-name CRPGs.

You don't believe, you don't know anything or haven't seen it yourself therefore it isn't real.

Bg name Rpg's aren't hard to come by, since Crpg is perhaps the most niche genre in the industry anyway.

It's the issue with community tags on Steam, they troll the peeps new to Steam for fun.

Here are some screenshots of some of the Crpg's (not all, but some) that have gotten released this year (filtering out visual novels and other stuff that shouldn't belong).

And yes, I know, Boreor is gonna do everything he can to debunk me. He'll probably say that Avernum or Tower Of Time aren't Crpg's ;)

post-173997-0-64191400-1544213463_thumb.jpg

post-173997-0-77457800-1544213475_thumb.jpg

post-173997-0-83796300-1544213487_thumb.jpg

post-173997-0-13360800-1544213504_thumb.jpg

post-173997-0-44253000-1544213516_thumb.jpg

post-173997-0-77343400-1544213526_thumb.jpg

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Ah, with 20-30 big names CRPGs you meant CRPGs whose names were written in big letters? Sorry! I misunderstood you.

Weakwood Throne was really big though. Who hasn't heard of it?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

ive noticed that star wars is popular. and ive noticed anyone who posts on an obscure video game developers forum is probably a nerd. and ive noticed it takes way too much thought to keep typing like this

man how cool is this guy telling people how little he cares and thinks, don't strain yourself typing a sentence there tony twist

Edited by Cartoons Plural

Moved to general game discussions...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

FO:NV - Obsidian's best by a large margin.

Harder to choose 2nd or 3rds. Alpha Protocol and KOTOR 2 both are a mix of highs and lows. The remainder are more middling, but I like Stick of Truth since it stands out as something different from the rest of the catalog, plus it's just a more complete game than either AP or KOTOR 2, and unfortunately KOTOR 2 doesn't stand up for me. Didn't much enjoy the last time I played it - flaws are too apparent. So..

FO:NV

Stick of Truth

AP

• Like 1

ive noticed that star wars is popular. and ive noticed anyone who posts on an obscure video game developers forum is probably a nerd. and ive noticed it takes way too much thought to keep typing like this

man how cool is this guy telling people how little he cares and thinks, don't strain yourself typing a sentence there tony twist

man some might say i care to much about punchuation and stuff but those people are wack

man some might say i care to much about punchuation and stuff but those people are wack

care too much

Too much, dammit, too much!

Educational standards are slipping. Send in the grammar police! :w00t:

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein