Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fallout 4 and 76: Cautionary Tales

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: What are your favorite Obsidian games? (87 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your #1 favorite Obsidian game?

1. POE: Deadfire (12 votes [13.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

2. POE 1 (15 votes [17.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

3. Tyranny (2 votes [2.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.30%

4. Alpha Protocol (5 votes [5.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.75%

5. Fallout: New Vegas (37 votes [42.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.53%

6. NWN 2 (6 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

7. South Park: Stick of Truth (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Dungeon Siege III (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. KOTOR 2 (10 votes [11.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.49%

What is your 2nd favorite Obsidian game?

1. POE: Deadfire (17 votes [19.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.54%

2. POE 1 (14 votes [16.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.09%

3. Tyranny (10 votes [11.49%] - View)

4. Alpha Protocol (8 votes [9.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.20%

5. Fallout: New Vegas (12 votes [13.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

6. NWN 2 (6 votes [6.90%] - View)

7. South Park: Stick of Truth (4 votes [4.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.60%

8. Dungeon Siege III (2 votes [2.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.30%

9. KOTOR 2 (14 votes [16.09%] - View)

What is your third favorite Obsidian game?

1. POE: Deadfire (23 votes [26.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.44%

2. POE 1 (14 votes [16.09%] - View)

3. Tyranny (11 votes [12.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.64%

4. Alpha Protocol (6 votes [6.90%] - View)

5. Fallout: New Vegas (9 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

6. NWN 2 (9 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

7. South Park: Stick of Truth (4 votes [4.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.60%

8. Dungeon Siege III (1 votes [1.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.15%

9. KOTOR 2 (10 votes [11.49%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 688 posts
  • Steam:Yaz Mataz

Did somebody say Fallout 76?

It was ****e to begin with xD. 

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well... it looks like Christmas is coming early this year... December 5th and big reveal time! Woot woot!  Especially because it will be Fallout in space?  Just tell me that there will still be magic and I'm sold.  Well, tentatively sold.  I do want to hear the details, but the very small teases released in that announcement... indicate some pretty awesome stuff. 

My two favorite Obsidian games are F:NV and KOTOR 2... so, space Fallout basically sounds like those games got together and made a baby.  Knights of the Old Fallout?  KOF? :D  The story is that a massive nuclear war nearly wiped out the human race on Earth, but enough of us were in outer space colonies or escaped, and are now forging a new future.  Old animosities and regrets remain... and there is word that there are strange things leaving Earth that can't be explained.  Just let me play as a damn robot or cyborg already!

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14008 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

"Fallout of the Old Republic" would be my favorite.

Cpl Halsbart

Cpl Halsbart

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

What does the op have to do with Fallout 4 and 76 cautionary tales? Fallout 4 outsold all ten Skyrims combined. People who actually paid to have online-mode for Fallout 4, instead of waiting for the inevitable fan mod, deserve a little heck for their imbecility. People need to remember their relationship to all these marketing people running the industry has nothing to do with delivering great games, so just never purchase day one to be sure. Never purchase on brand or company logo recognition, that's my cautionary tale.

bigcrazewolf

bigcrazewolf

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 49 posts

FONV

KOTOR

Stick of Truth

I'm really looking forward to the new IP announcement  :dancing:

• Michael_Galt likes this

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

What does the op have to do with Fallout 4 and 76 cautionary tales? Fallout 4 outsold all ten Skyrims combined. People who actually paid to have online-mode for Fallout 4, instead of waiting for the inevitable fan mod, deserve a little heck for their imbecility. People need to remember their relationship to all these marketing people running the industry has nothing to do with delivering great games, so just never purchase day one to be sure. Never purchase on brand or company logo recognition, that's my cautionary tale.

I was not talking about economic viability in this post at all.  Because Fallout 4 "sold better" does not make it a "better" game.  That is the result of aggressive and successful marketing.  Lots of inferior products outsell better products because the inferior products are marketed better.  You can go to any aggregate score website, and F:NV scores better among consumers than does Fallout 4.  That is what makes it a better game. 

Given the fact that nearly 40% of the people who responded to this poll listed F:NV as their #1 favorite game by Obsidian... it is clear that people here want more games like F:NV than Fallout 4.  I don't think that people work at Obsidian because they hope to become multi-millionaires, they work there to work on the types of games that they like and enjoy.  Provided that they are able to afford the things they enjoy in life, they are probably content to not be making boatloads of money, but being able to make great cRPGs.  I'm all about capitalism and ambition, but sometimes you have to pick your values over potentially making more money.

• bigcrazewolf and Mirandel like this

Skie Nightfall

Skie Nightfall

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

1. PoE by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

2. F:NV

3. Deadfire

4. KotOR2

Edited by Skie Nightfall, 01 December 2018 - 02:07 AM.

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I just hope that this poll is useful to Obsidian.  While it is clearly not a huge sample size, 60 people is not a small number. 

This poll CLEARLY shows that people consider F:NV to be, if not the "best" Obsidian game, their personal favorite.  It also shows that, together, the POE games do quite well, but taken individually, yes, most people seem to prefer Deadfire (roughly 25% more total votes for Deadfire).  It also effectively shows that KOTOR 2 still ranks within the top 3 Obsidian games for most people, with nearly 50% choosing it for one of their favorite Obsidian games (and this is despite the fact that it was released over 10 years ago). 

Hopefully more and more people respond so that the overall sample size grows.  That way, as Obsidian is making design decisions for this new game... they can base those decisions off of customer feedback, instead of pure supposition.

Cpl Halsbart

Cpl Halsbart

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

I was not talking about economic viability in this post at all.  Because Fallout 4 "sold better" does not make it a "better" game.  That is the result of aggressive and successful marketing.  Lots of inferior products outsell better products because the inferior products are marketed better.  You can go to any aggregate score website, and F:NV scores better among consumers than does Fallout 4.  That is what makes it a better game. 

Given the fact that nearly 40% of the people who responded to this poll listed F:NV as their #1 favorite game by Obsidian... it is clear that people here want more games like F:NV than Fallout 4.  I don't think that people work at Obsidian because they hope to become multi-millionaires, they work there to work on the types of games that they like and enjoy.  Provided that they are able to afford the things they enjoy in life, they are probably content to not be making boatloads of money, but being able to make great cRPGs.  I'm all about capitalism and ambition, but sometimes you have to pick your values over potentially making more money.

It isn't clear in the op's first paragraph what the point of your post was, its buried somewhere in the body of the thing. In fact, I'm not seeing a cogent idea anywhere, until the fourth or fifth paragraph, where you tell me the point is "I like F:NV". Your real idea is even further away, spread across two or three more paragraphs. The title is at least misleading, don't you agree? I tried to find the lesson in your op, couldn't find one. My cautionary tale's better, I think. You can't expect people will meander with you through a haphazard formatted, stream-of-consciousness post. I mean, anybody can make a poll what their favorite obsi game is. You should have just stopped there m8. Also, I have no idea why you're talking about capitalism and multi millionaires in response. :p

Edited by Cpl Halsbart, 01 December 2018 - 09:38 AM.

• PantherX14 likes this

fxluk

fxluk

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 60 posts

For me list really lacks an expansion for NWN2 - Mask of the Betrayer.

NWN2 itself, was like OK, nothing more, but MOTW on the other hand, had a great story.

Definitely in my TOP 10 RPG games.

Mirandel

Mirandel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

For me list really lacks an expansion for NWN2 - Mask of the Betrayer.

NWN2 itself, was like OK, nothing more, but MOTW on the other hand, had a great story.

Definitely in my TOP 10 RPG games.

I suspect OP meant NWN2 with both DLCs. Count MotB included.

Cartoons Plural

Cartoons Plural

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts

Separately, it is interesting to see the breakdown of the votes thus far (though admittedly a small sample size).  Seems like for people's FAVORITE Obsidian game, the older games (F:NV, KOTOR 2, and NWN 2, in that order) definitely beat out Obsidian's newer games.  But, when you get to 2nd and 3rd favorite games, their newer games start to "take over".

ive noticed with nerds that generally there's something from adolescence that they have placed on a pedestal forever, and held to be untouchable and perfect and everything else is compared to it. and since nothing ever does then the rest of the games they like fall into recency bias

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9061 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

ive noticed that star wars is popular. and ive noticed anyone who posts on an obscure video game developers forum is probably a nerd. and ive noticed it takes way too much thought to keep typing like this

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It isn't clear in the op's first paragraph what the point of your post was, its buried somewhere in the body of the thing. In fact, I'm not seeing a cogent idea anywhere, until the fourth or fifth paragraph, where you tell me the point is "I like F:NV". Your real idea is even further away, spread across two or three more paragraphs. The title is at least misleading, don't you agree? I tried to find the lesson in your op, couldn't find one. My cautionary tale's better, I think. You can't expect people will meander with you through a haphazard formatted, stream-of-consciousness post. I mean, anybody can make a poll what their favorite obsi game is. You should have just stopped there m8. Also, I have no idea why you're talking about capitalism and multi millionaires in response. :p

Again, I apologize for failing to put that in the OP.  Without editing the OP to include what I wrote later, after I realized that I had not explicitly talked about that... really no way to "solve" that problem.  I feel like editing a post days after writing it... is bad form. 

The point of the poll for the favorite Obsidian game was meant to serve as a tool for helping Obsidian to get real feedback from their dedicated community.  The people on these forums would more than likely be Pillars of Eternity backers, right?  Except, despite the fact that those are those most recent games, there is a clear indication from the community that they might like POE, but in general, they LOVE F:NV and they really like KOTOR 2.  This remains the case despite the relative old age of those games.  The age of those games does not diminish the story-telling they did, or the quality of the writing. 

The point about the financial success of non-Obsidian titles is moot in this argument.  There are tons of games with ridiculous premises, that are horrible games by any objective standard of story-telling or intellectual stimulation, but are INCREDIBLY successful financially because they let people do something they want to do, but can't do in real life, or not as easily as they can in that game.  Obsidian games, have, by and large, been about excellent writing and storytelling. 

When someone who works in the videogame industry applies to work at Obsidian, they KNOW that the games that Obsidian makes are not the types of game that sell 50 million copies.  They know that if they go to Comicon that year, they will not find 1/2 the cosplayers in costumes from Obsidian's games.  They go to Obsidian because intelligent, thought provoking RPGs are the types of games they enjoy and want to make.  They go to Obsidian to "boost their resume" before applying to another major videogame studio that maybe DOES make those games that sell millions of copies, because they know that if they show that they worked at a studio known for making great games, they are much more likley to get accepted into the "big leagues". 

Now that Obsidian HAS been acquired by Microsoft and they DID get their "dream project" approved... I just hope that they don't make a game that has nothing in common with F:NV and KOTOR 2, but rather make a game that combines the best features of all their best games.  Both Bioware and Bethesda have strayed a long way from their roots, and financial successes or not, their latest games have NOT gotten very good consumer reviews and are generally considered to be worse games than what came before those games.  This is in spite of having plenty of money and large teams for development.  I just HOPE that Obsidian doesn't make their "dream project" into Fallout 4/76 or ME: Andromeda, whether that is more financially successful or not. 

Is that selfish of me?  Yes, it is.  I want high-quality, well-written RPGs.  That is the only type of video game I play.  None of those equals no video games for me.  I can survive without video games... but I would like for that to be an option, as opposed to a non-option.  I would happily pay 2 - 3 times the normal price of a video game if I was sure that it would be a quality RPG.  Right now I am VERY tentative about this new project because of some of the things that Tim Cain said a year ago.  It doesn't SOUND like a game that I will like, if it adopts a lot of those philosophies.  If I DON'T like it, and it is the "new Obsidian", then I can probably write off future Obsidian games the way that I have Bioware games and Bethesda games.  That would mean that I would have only CD Projekt Red and inXile to look forward to their games, and MAYBE Harebrained Studios, but maybe not.  I prefer Obsidian games to the games of all of those studios.  That means I would be left with studios that I like less. 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14008 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
You know you can edit your thread title, don't you?

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I didn't.  I thought that it got locked. 

Can I still edit my OP as well?  I just think that if I do that, the rest of the thread will become confusing.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14008 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You can.

If you want to edit your thread title (don't think it will be confusing to adapt that to the actual poll) you use the "Edit" button under your opening post and then beneath that newly opened edit window there's the "Save"-button. Right next to the save button there's a button that say's "Use Full Editor". If you press thiat you can edit the title as well:

boom_edit.png?dl=1

Edited by Boeroer, 07 December 2018 - 03:06 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14008 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I know: "Postception", right? ;)

• Hurlshot, Michael_Galt and LittleAmadillo0 like this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 784 posts

Either way, 20-30 big name Crpg's came out this year alone on Steam. They're there but you just gotta open your eyes and look. Even if Obsidian stopped making Crpg's this wouldn't jeopardize the genre in any way.

Uhh huh? Other than Deadfire and Kingmaker I didn't see anything :(

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14008 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That's because they were imaginary big-name CRPGs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users