Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fallout 4 and 76: Cautionary Tales

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: What are your favorite Obsidian games? (87 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your #1 favorite Obsidian game?

1. POE: Deadfire (12 votes [13.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

2. POE 1 (15 votes [17.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

3. Tyranny (2 votes [2.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.30%

4. Alpha Protocol (5 votes [5.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.75%

5. Fallout: New Vegas (37 votes [42.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.53%

6. NWN 2 (6 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

7. South Park: Stick of Truth (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Dungeon Siege III (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. KOTOR 2 (10 votes [11.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.49%

What is your 2nd favorite Obsidian game?

1. POE: Deadfire (17 votes [19.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.54%

2. POE 1 (14 votes [16.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.09%

3. Tyranny (10 votes [11.49%] - View)

4. Alpha Protocol (8 votes [9.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.20%

5. Fallout: New Vegas (12 votes [13.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

6. NWN 2 (6 votes [6.90%] - View)

7. South Park: Stick of Truth (4 votes [4.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.60%

8. Dungeon Siege III (2 votes [2.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.30%

9. KOTOR 2 (14 votes [16.09%] - View)

What is your third favorite Obsidian game?

1. POE: Deadfire (23 votes [26.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.44%

2. POE 1 (14 votes [16.09%] - View)

3. Tyranny (11 votes [12.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.64%

4. Alpha Protocol (6 votes [6.90%] - View)

5. Fallout: New Vegas (9 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

6. NWN 2 (9 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

7. South Park: Stick of Truth (4 votes [4.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.60%

8. Dungeon Siege III (1 votes [1.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.15%

9. KOTOR 2 (10 votes [11.49%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3043 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

AP is doing pretty well as a second and third choice though, which would fit its reputation as a bit of an unpolished gem.

Really it's just Fallout and Star Wars eating up a lot of votes, which would make sense because they are very popular properties. I'd say it is less about sequels or other people's IP's, since Dungeon Siege, South Park, and even NWN2 aren't doing much in the way of votes.

You could also probably lump together all of the PoE (1&2) to show that their own IP has done very well in the poll.

That is a good point. When looked at cumulatively, POE 1 + Deadfire doesn't do poorly at all. As a case in point, I wasn't really a fan of POE, but I DO like Deadfire (it was my number 3. After POE, wasn't sure if I was going to buy Deadfire. Conversely, after Deadfire, I will LIKELY buy the next in the Eora saga, if they continue with it.

But... since they WERE both acquired by Microsoft... maybe it is possible?

I keep hearing this. Are Naughty Dog and Guerilla teaming up on games because they are both owned by Sony?

Hence... the question... Answering a question with a question is not an answer. That is you trying to say that based off a single anecdote, that universally it shows that it is NOT possible. I'm asking, do studios ever actually do joint ventures, when they are parts of a larger corporation? My bet is YES... because if you don't have 1 studio that is big enough in isolation to do a large project, but you have 2 studios, that if they COMBINED their resources, COULD do that project... then you would. As an example in a completely different but related industry... Apple phones feature SAMSUNG chips. Manufacturing is very different from making creative entertainment, but it shows that even huge rivals can work together to accomplish the same goal- sales.

I am not even asking if it is probable. I am asking if anyone knows of any examples in which 2 different video game studios worked together on a single game.
Answering the question with a question is the answer. Parent companies don't force daughter companies to co-produce (and I'm not just thinking video game companies here). Anyone who took a second to think about this would acknowledge this fact. Hence why I can't wrap my head around the question that *lots of people* (not just you) are asking.

FWIW, it's been my experience that congomerates not only *don't* result in weird mash-ups, but actually create *rivalries*.

Except, it isn't. Let me give you an example.

I ask, "Can 2 men have sex?". You answer, "Have you ever seen 2 men having sex? I live in Butte, Montana, and I have never seen it." If you lived in San Francisco or West Hollywood, you would probably answer, "Hahaha! Is it POSSIBLE? What rock do you live under?!?"

Sure, YOU haven't seen it, in YOUR experiences, but that does NOT mean it isn't possible. Using a single anecdote is not evidence which represents the whole. I think it is UNLIKELY, but I FEEL like I have read about various studios working together on a single project in the past. I might be mistaken. I could see why 2 studios would not WANT to work together... but I could also imagine the following scenario.

Microsoft owns an awesome IP. Microsoft owns lots of stuff, so this is LIKELY. Microsoft wants a HUGE game based on this IP. Microsoft goes to BOTH Obsidian and inXile with it and says, "I want this to be your next project. You haven't declared any follow on projects yet. I will pay you both lots of money to develop this IP for me. I will split the earnings 50/50 between you. Obsidian takes lead on story-writing. inXile takes lead on level design. You divvy up the rest of the tasks as you see fit. Deal?"

This sounds reasonable to me, and if I was either studio, it might even be appealing. If both love the IP, and they aren't going to make 2 different games with 2 different studios, why not make 1 game with 2 studios?

And I am fine with them continuing to operate completely independently, but size DOES matter. Having 2x as many writers, 2x as many animators, 2x as many artists... opens up potential projects that would otherwise be impossible. Comparisons?

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/CD_Projekt
800 employees

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare

https://en.wikipedia...da_Game_Studios

https://en.wikipedia...n_Entertainment

https://en.wikipedia...e_Entertainment

https://en.wikipedia.../Larian_Studios

When you compare those different RPG oriented studios, it becomes obvious what the benefits of size are. Even with the combined resources of Obsidian and inXile, they do not "equal" Bethesda or CD Projekt Red. That is FINE, unless you want to release a game which will directly compete with the games of those studios.

These are arguments based on numbers, facts and logic, not just blanket statements of opinion. If, factually, 2 studios NEVER work together on 1 project... fine. That is what I want to know. Has it happened? Or has it not happened? If it HAS happened, when? What was the result?
lol

You’re missing the point, bro. The fact that this doesn’t happen makes the question of whether or not it will happen here fairly ridiculous. But you do you.
  • Michael_Galt likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3091 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I ask, "Can 2 men have sex?". You answer, "Have you ever seen 2 men having sex? I live in Butte, Montana, and I have never seen it." If you lived in San Francisco or West Hollywood, you would probably answer, "Hahaha! Is it POSSIBLE? What rock do you live under?!?"

Yes. Same sex can have sex. Have you heard of gay couples, gay marriages, gay relationships? You may wany to ask that question to the LGBT community but I doubt you will because you know that you will be embaressed. I am not going to tell you how 2 men or women have sex but use your imagination and you may get a glimpse of the reality. Point being that yes, they do, it's just a little different (not to quote Jeanette from VTMR: Bloodlines hehe).

Not only that, but you didn't quite choose a great comparison. A better comparison would have been to ask "Have you seen 2 artists collaborate on a song. tattoo, painting? Have you seen two writers write a book or 2 directors direct a movie? And again, yes, the answer to all of these is yes.

When you compare those different RPG oriented studios, it becomes obvious what the benefits of size are. Even with the combined resources of Obsidian and inXile, they do not "equal" Bethesda or CD Projekt Red. That is FINE, unless you want to release a game which will directly compete with the games of those studios.

These are arguments based on numbers, facts and logic, not just blanket statements of opinion. If, factually, 2 studios NEVER work together on 1 project... fine. That is what I want to know. Has it happened? Or has it not happened? If it HAS happened, when? What was the result?

Where are the facts, logic and numbers? Lol I'd like to see the evidence that a small focused company with mass resources/funding cannot benefit anymore or less than a larger based team?

I can tell you this, it's not to imagine 2 development teams such as InExile and Obsidian working together. You probably didn't know this but Obsidian was split up into 4-5 teams, 1 team for each different project. So why are you so paranoid of Microsoft having Obsidian and InExile joining forces to develop a hot-budget AAA title? Have developers/publishers colaborated in the games industry? YES. Maybe you should do the research into that though, because giving you evidence will only get some denial from you and even more paranoia, I'm sure.

And of course Obsidian and Inexile will get some new talent, no doubt they will need approval from MS first. They'll also get mass additions to resources by Microsoft and most likely won't use Unity engine anymore. Are you really gullible to think that Microsoft's support, funding/resources won't allow them to benefit greater than a 800 independent member team? Yeah, real smart.

Edited by SonicMage117, 25 November 2018 - 09:52 PM.

bugarup

bugarup

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Clickbait title, there is nothing about F4 or 76 in the thread.  :down:

• kirottu, IndiraLightfoot, Chilloutman and 6 others like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5520 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah! It should read: "Which are your favourite Obsidian games?"

• InsaneCommander and PantherX14 like this

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Clickbait title, there is nothing about F4 or 76 in the thread.  :down:

I did "lose the narrative" when I started writing.  The point that I didn't make in the original post is that both Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 received bad reviews.  Fallout 4 got bad, but not TERRIBLE reviews... but people are clearly not happy with it.  Fallout 76 is widely considered to be a piece of trash.  The last GOOD game was F:NV... which was done by Obsidian. 

Mass Effect 1-3 got solid to incredibly positive reviews.  The last Mass Effect game was trash.  Anthem is not an RPG.

So... Bethesda, a major videogame studio that specialized in and was founded in the RPG genre...  now appears to have abandoned it, and has produced 2 games which are not good.  Bioware, which used to be a gold-standard in RPG gaming... no longer makes RPGs either, OR good games. 

Hence, the post.  2 companies which historically did a very good job with RPGs... no longer make them, for all intents and purposes.  Both have tried to do new types of games... and have largely failed.  I HOPE that this is not what happens to Obsidian.  If Obsidian follows this path...  Then there will be very few studios left which are dedicated to cRPGs AND do them well. 

Additionally, my personal suspicions have so far been largely confirmed, where more people prefer the games that Obsidian did which were sequels to other IPs.  20 out of 34 (~60%) people have picked those games as their #1 favorite Obsidian titles.  That might be proportionate to the total number of games that Obsidian has created, but it is still a significant majority. 

Surprisingly, my choices for #1, #2, and #3 favorite Obsidian games... are VERY close to the overall results of the poll, thus far.  I picked F:NV for #1, KOTOR 2 for #2, and Deadfire for #3.  This certainly doesn't mean that my views are representative of all the people on this forum, but at least so far, it looks like we have similar tastes and preferences, at least insofar as Obsidian games go. 

So, sorry I forgot to write explicitly about the new "Fallout" games.  I thought it was implied that I did not approve of them, or have any interest in them.  You Google "Fallout 76" right now and can find that No Mutants Allowed is now not the only one talking trash about Bethesda, it is the entire internet.  Hell, even the gaming magazines gave it awful reviews... which means that you KNOW it is terrible.  People are talking about how Bethesda might die on its Fallout 4 and 76 swords.  I think that is premature and silly... but everyone does seem to be in agreement that if Bioware's Anthem fails to sell well... Bioware might go bankrupt. 

Let that sink in.  2 companies which have been famous for making RPGs, and have historically made great ones, might be on the verge of going bankrupt.  Bioware, who used to be the absolute best videogame studio for RPGs... doesn't make them anymore and might go out of business.  Between the two of them, that represents 1,200 employees... that is nearly TEN times as many employees than are at Obsidian.  If Bethesda and Bioware go... who does that leave?  Harebrained was bought out.  Obsidian and inXile have both been bought out by Microsoft.  I personally think that this is a good thing... but it might not be.  Owner holds power.  Owner decides what gets greenlit and what doesn't.  Owner decides how much money to spend on promotion and sets timelines. 

At this point, the only 2 studios with good track records that appear to be financially sound... are CD Projekt Red and Larian.  That is it. 

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9057 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't remember Fallout 4 getting bad reviews, according to Metacritic it charted a bit higher than NV. It certainly sold tremendously, so I'm not sure it is much of a cautionary tale. 

Fallout 76 is a much better example if you are looking to show a flaw with Bethesda. Seems a bit early to compare them to Bioware, since it might just be one misstep and it's not clear how 'all-in' they are on it. 

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2621 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

F4 got bad user reviews though nowhere near as bad as F76's obviously. IIRC F4 ended up with almost exactly the same pro review aggregate as FONV, so no bonus for BGS but still good review scores. And yeah, it sold well. There's no chance of Bethesda shutting down any time soon.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9057 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

User reviews are pretty hard to judge though. Fallout 4 has 80k mostly positive reviews on Steam, while NV has 40k overwhelmingly positive reviews. Metacritic has a bigger gap, but with a lot less reviews. What does all that mean?

Now Fallout 76 is a much clearer example of a terrible turn. Holy moly, that thing is getting killed. ME:A also had a very sharp drop compared to the previous games, so I agree that it also fits the definition of a cautionary tale.

• Azdeus and Michael_Galt like this

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I will say that it used to be, if I saw a Bioware label on the game, I would buy or preorder it.  ME3 was the last Bioware game that I bought, and probably the last that I will buy.  As to Bethesda... who knows?  After what they have done to Fallout... I won't buy anything they put out until AFTER it is out and customer reviews start coming in. 

So, right now, I'm waiting on WL3 and Cyberpunk 2077... and the last Deadfire DLC.  Besides that, I haven't heard of any games that really spiked my interest.  I really DO wonder what Obsidian has planned... because they haven't announced anything...  They are almost done with the last DLC, they had to keep things under wraps because of the acquisition... but the real question remains, "What is next?" 

I'm guessing they will tell us AFTER the last DLC... right before Christmas?  Looking through the list of Microsoft owned IP... I can't find anything that stands out.  I can only assume that it is an Obsidian IP... So, that makes me very curious.  I doubt that they want to make another POE game this soon after having spent so much time on the 1st, all its expansions and DLC, and now Deadfire and its DLC...  Which means that it is either an original IP that we haven't seen yet, or a follow up to Alpha Protocol?

https://en.wikipedia..._and_properties

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes. Same sex can have sex. Have you heard of gay couples, gay marriages, gay relationships? You may wany to ask that question to the LGBT community but I doubt you will because you know that you will be embaressed. I am not going to tell you how 2 men or women have sex but use your imagination and you may get a glimpse of the reality. Point being that yes, they do, it's just a little different (not to quote Jeanette from VTMR: Bloodlines hehe).

This is a super weird response that completely misses the point of the text you're replying to, GJ on being incapable of reading.

EDIT: PS Alpha Protocol is the best, fight me.

Edited by Chairchucker, 27 November 2018 - 12:08 AM.

• Azdeus, Michael_Galt and Vitalis like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3091 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This is a super weird response that completely misses the point of the text you're replying to, GJ on being incapable of reading.

EDIT: PS Alpha Protocol is the best, fight me.
It's only a weird response because you don't agree with it, but really your long wall of a "fact check" on my thread was far stranger and non-relavant.

Anyway, his comparison was weird in the first place and my response hit it exactly on the head of the nail. For entertainment's sake, why don't you tell us (as in I and the other forum members) exactly what he meant and what the proper response would be? I cannot wait to hear it :)

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's only a weird response because you don't agree with it, but really your long wall of a "fact check" on my thread was far stranger and non-relavant.

Anyway, his comparison was weird in the first place and my response hit it exactly on the head of the nail. For entertainment's sake, why don't you tell us (as in I and the other forum members) exactly what he meant and what the proper response would be? I cannot wait to hear it :)

He wasn't legitimately asking if two men can have sex, so answering as if he had been asking that question was a weird response, hope that helps.

• Azdeus, Michael_Galt, the_dog_days and 1 other like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3091 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

He wasn't legitimately asking if two men can have sex, so answering as if he had been asking that question was a weird response, hope that helps.
He literally asked it.

One day you will learn to read, I hope.

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No, it was clearly presented as a hypothetical example.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3091 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No, it was clearly presented as a hypothetical example.

And it was an irrelevant one, but even moreso an incorrect one which warranted an validated a response.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13994 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No, it's a weird response because you answered to a comparative question as if it was the original one - which it is not. And that's obvious to anybody who can read properly. Doesn't matter if the comparison was fitting or not. If you wrote that weird response as a kind of disciplinary measure then just say so. Still stays weird though.

[...] but really your long wall of a "fact check" on my thread was far stranger and non-relavant.

His fact check may have been strange, but it wasn't irrelevant. It just showed that you did a false claim - and a very presumptuous one at that. Since that is not the first time you call your mere opinion facts or truth it was relevant. Especially because you called for a fact check yourself.

Edited by Boeroer, 27 November 2018 - 12:39 PM.

• ShadySands, Azdeus and Michael_Galt like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3091 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No, it's a weird response because you answered to a comparative question as if it was the original one - which it is not. And that's obvious to anybody who can read properly. Doesn't matter if the comparison was fitting or not. If you wrote that weird response as a kind of disciplinary measure then just say so. Still stays weird though.

It was more of an educational one, of course he was trolling but maybe some didn't know that and thought he was seriously. Either way, my response wasn't strange, and members of the club should respect the LGBT and their liefestyles.

His fact check may have been strange, but it wasn't irrelevant. It just showed that you did a false claim - and a very presumptuous one at that. Since that is not the first time you call your mere opinion facts or truth it was relevant. Especially because you called for a fact check yourself.

It wasn't relevant because it wasn't 100% true. Assuming that others wouldn't buy the game or didn't agree just because they didn't literally say "I agree" isn't a fact check lol And it certainly doesn't make for a relevant response. Trying to force partial agreement as disagreement never goes well in the real world though it may fly on the forums Idk.

Also. There is no need to jump in and defend him thought I do appreciate the vigor :)

Edited by SonicMage117, 27 November 2018 - 01:37 PM.

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have found that sometimes it is pointless to even attempt to argue with certain people, because they are just arguing for argument's sake, and no other reason.  They aren't arguing in good faith, they just want to argue. 

So far, it is a fact that we don't know the next project for either inXile OR Obsidian... who were both acquired by the same company.  Another fact is that both inXile and Obsidian make relatively similar games, and have shared senior members at various points of their existences.  Fact is that both studios previously have relied upon Kickstarters (or something along those lines) to generate money to do the types of games they love.  Fact is that they have both used Unity extensively for several games... ok, maybe only 1 game for inXile.  Fact is neither studio is particularly large, as video game studios go...

So... I really hope we hear soon what they will both be doing.  inXile is locked in until they complete WL3, so that means they probably won't be able to work on anything until late next year.  Obsidian... should be "done" with Deadfire by the end of the year, effectively.  That means that the probability that they even COULD work on a joint project is probably pretty low.  Unless Obsidian has their next project completed before the end of next year, which sounds practically impossible. 

So, realistically, Obsidian goes and announces new project around Christmas.  It is new IP, and something that they have wanted to do as their DREAM project, but haven't shared any information in the past because they just didn't have the money to make it.  Now that they got the greenlight to do it by Microsoft, as part of their acquisition deal... they are quietly, behind the scenes, preparing all the estimates and doing the initial planning... 

As an example, I found a quote from someone at RPGcodex who claimed, "his dream project is a historical rpg in the veins of Darklands, with a classless system and TB combat".  And from JSawyer himself... “I'm taking a break from Pillars for a while, from directing, especially, because I've been working on it for six years,” Sawyer said. “I didn't create Pillars as a dream project for myself. I created it because I felt it was important for the company as a whole to have something that we owned, and that other people could do things with. I really do believe the best part of this is I don't have to work on more Pillars games. Other people at the studio can do that. Actually, I'm excited to work on the tabletop version of Pillars because I'm going crazy with that.”

And further...

"Despite his preference for independence, Urquhart acknowledged the difficulties of being in charge of making sure hundreds of people had money to eat and pay their bills every month. Another immutable fact of life at Obsidian: Projects always needed funding, and there was no surefire source. “Kickstarter and Fig are great, but there's a limit to the amount of money you can get. Depending on how well you do, you're looking at two-and-a-half, three million to five or six million. That's kind of the range now. If we wanted to make an epic game, that's a thirty, four, fifty, seventy-million-dollar game. That's not coming from Fig. Where's it going to come from?”

Urquhart believes Obsidian has another epic RPG—one as massive as Stormlands, if not bigger—in its future. When, not if, the time is right, he will be approaching publishers rather than crowdfunding platforms."

https://www.shacknew...of-rpgs?page=28

Anyone want to bet on what the new game will be????  Does anyone remember Sawyer speaking about some project that he would love to do... but the stars never aligned, or it got rejected?

Edited by Michael_Galt, 27 November 2018 - 05:41 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13994 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Either way, my response wasn't strange, and members of the club should respect the LGBT and their liefestyles.

This is very low Sonic.

And I will explain: I mean trying to disingeniously drag a statement into a controversial direction where it's supposed to be torn apart.

"Can two men have sex?" - "Why? You hate gay people???"

If I didn't explain explicitly what I meant your next move after my statement (that it's low) would have been that you'd accuse me that I said LGBT is low.

It's not only disingenuous but also clumsy. If you want to go ahead with this then be my guest. Just know that it paints a picture of a flawed ethical code.

Edited by Boeroer, 28 November 2018 - 10:19 AM.

• Vitalis likes this

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

For the record, in case there IS confusion, my point had nothing to do with the viability of people's abilities to have homosexual sexual relationships... My point was that if you PERSONALLY have never seen publicly homosexual behavior... you might very well ASSUME that it is NOT possible, based on your experiences.  Whereas... if you have been to places where it is VERY openly acceptable, then it SOUNDS like a dumb question. 

So... when you answer a question with a question, especially when your question is, "Did you see this happen in this single isolated example?", you are basically doing the same thing.  That is the EQUIVALENT of me going to some place where I KNOW that open homosexual behavior is very uncommon or unaccepted, looking around, and saying, "Do you see any homosexuality here?"  Of course you don't.  But if you used a different example when asking that question (meaning, a place where in fact homosexuality is COMMON and ACCEPTED), then you would naturally get a different answer. 

My question was, "Is there any precedent for 2 DIFFERENT video game studios to work on 1 title, TOGETHER?" 

I still don't know that answer, and that is why I asked it.  I don't follow the video game industry as a whole, I only follow studios who make cRPGs.  I check Obsidian forums and news regularly.  I stopped checking Bioware news earlier this year.  I don't have any hopes left for Bethesda, but maybe they will surprise me... in several year.  I check inXile and Harebrained and CD Projekt Red.  That is IT. 

I don't play games in other genres, and if it was made by a studio other than the ones I listed in the paragraph above... then I probably don't know about it.  So... because I personally am unaware of it having happened... does NOT make it a FACT, that it does NOT happen.  That is what I was trying to ascertain.  And, I can assure you, that I was asking that in good faith.

An answer that doesn't answer the question, but instead asks a different question which still doesn't answer the question... is not in any way helpful.  THAT was the point of my "homosexuality" question.  It was that anwering a question with a question is not productive and especially less so when that question would have different answers depending on your personal knowledge and experience. I asked that question, admiting my lack of personal knowledge of the answer, asking if anyone HAD knowledge and an answer.

"Are Naughty Dog and Guerilla teaming up on games because they are both owned by Sony?"

I have no idea who either of those studios are.  I had no idea that they were acquired by Sony.  I have no idea if they are or are not making a game jointly. 

But I can play that game all day, where I "cherry-pick answers" that suggest that something is or is not possible because I know the answer in a single instance. 

More examples, that are simpler?  "Can girls have blonde hair?" "Does Kim Kardashian have blonde hair?"  "Is it possible to build an electric car?"  "Is the Ford Mustang an electric car?"  "Can you eat crayons?"  "Have you ever ate crayons?" 

I was not asking for a single anecdote.  My question was, "across the industry (more specifically, RPG studios), is there any precedent for this happening?"  That doesn't mean that because it didn't happen in a single instance that it has NEVER happened, NEVER will happen, or CAN'T happen.  Saying, "To the best of my knowlege, it has never happened", or "I know of no such examples", or "Legally, they are not allowed to", or "I have worked in the videogaming industry 20 years, and have never heard of it happening"... THOSE are legitimate answers.  They state your level of knowledge and experience.  Or, you could answer with some economic study which SHOWS that there has never been a cRPG that was jointly developed by 2 different studios... that would be using facts and evidence.   There is a big difference between all those responses. 

But... on a separate note... I really AM excited to see what it is that this secret project is... because those were direct quotes from the 2 biggest head honchos at Obsidian...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users