Plea. Dear Obsidian. Please tell us the new subclasses

The monk look very interesting.

So we have a special attack that adds a debuff to targets and curses the the monk. Extra attacks cost more wounds, does more damage to target  as long as the curse persist (does curse stack and/or refresh, or prolong?). The curse also does damage to monk.

Wound and health is generated when hostile effects expire. I assume the curse is considered one of those.

So you do your special attack, get cursed, special attack a few more times if you have wounds and the health, then have curse expire to generate health and wounds. Cool balancing act between not having to many hostile effects and doing the forbidden fisting. 

With that affliction-halving monk ability (forgot name), this could make for some interesting play.

*Deletes all old saves and prepares to reroll*

Edit: I like the rogue for RP.

A charmer. A seducer. That has to stay close to allies on order not to get a debuff and hits gets downgraded to grazes when not afflicted. Gotta look pretty and healthy.

So you charm, fight near the charmed ally, then stab them in the back when the charm is wearing off. They should have called the subclass "the politician".  

Edited by Frak
  • Like 3

Nerf Troubadour!

When you wake up and stumble into a complete mess... ;)

Forbidden Fist. Well... I guess that's... ambiguous...?

Crucible and Clarity for the win I guess.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Someone get me the 'deets' on the tactician fighter and psion cipher, please. Then I can be a happy camper.

Ok, the furyshaped Barbra Ann also sounds interesting, but I assume it's avatars, like the ghost ranger.

Nerf Troubadour!

Forbidden fist. Sounds like a fun - if tiring - weekend.

Oh brother. Iron Fist never had this issue.

You preverts! You have had forbidden dancing. I'm pretty sure it's the waltz, but even dancing can be forbidden. The Prohibition was all about forbidden drinking. Duelling was once forbidden swording between french sworders. So of course you can have forbidden fisting!

You try to retain the Purity of Essence on the internet, and what do you get? Deviated preverts! *shakes head*

• Like 2

Nerf Troubadour!

Someone get me the 'deets' on the tactician fighter and psion cipher, please. Then I can be a happy camper.

Ok, the furyshaped Barbra Ann also sounds interesting, but I assume it's avatars, like the ghost ranger.

I think/hope the "Wards" he produces are more like the wards thar enemies have - those that emit sigil of Atrophy or Death and so on.

Edit: downloading beta atm. Will report what exactly those wards are.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

"Rougish Charm" does what?

It applies make-up so outlandishly tacky and garish that everyone who looks at you gets stupefied on the spot, of course.  :biggrin:

After Old World Blues I cannot ever take anything "Foooorrrrbidden!" seriously and so all those forbidden things make me very happy. And I am totally playing that new cowardly rogue. 

• Like 4

From a power gaming perspective I find Debonair to be underwhelming.  The special ability that's the keystone for the subclass only works for a subset of fights (also almost none of them being boss fights in the base game).  I assume part of the reason why it was made to be this conservative is that you can use it in stealth and not have it break stealth at the same time (Quiet/Quiet means it won't break stealth on cast or on impact IIRC).  With the range being what it is and stealth mechanics being what they are, the chance you can apply the effect and then extract without getting exposed would be low unless you totally committed to stealth.  All of this to take into account Charm is now a fragile effect and will break if a "friendly" hits them.  

So we have a subclass whose key ability only works on a minority of fights in the game.  And some quite hefty penalties added on top of that as well.  I understand that Charm and other effects like it are incredibly strong as is, but this feels way too conservative.  

From a power gaming perspective I find Debonair to be underwhelming. The special ability that's the keystone for the subclass only works for a subset of fights (also almost none of them being boss fights in the base game). I assume part of the reason why it was made to be this conservative is that you can use it in stealth and not have it break stealth at the same time (Quiet/Quiet means it won't break stealth on cast or on impact IIRC). With the range being what it is and stealth mechanics being what they are, the chance you can apply the effect and then extract without getting exposed would be low unless you totally committed to stealth. All of this to take into account Charm is now a fragile effect and will break if a "friendly" hits them.

So we have a subclass whose key ability only works on a minority of fights in the game. And some quite hefty penalties added on top of that as well. I understand that Charm and other effects like it are incredibly strong as is, but this feels way too conservative.

Plus it has stiff competition as the Rogue has some of the best subclasses. The way Im looking at it is, if you want to make a charm bot you can go Mindstalker. Edited by Verde

I've done some quick tests with some dummies, I'm a bit disapointed.

Blood mage : one of the best new subclass, and the first wizard subclass I really want to play. Work really well with concelhault spells that heal you (fit the theme). I just hate that the blood sacrifice is random. If you aren't full heal and it decide to restaure one of your best spell slot : RIP. I would prefere if it add the blood sacrifice as a free spell for each spell level, letting you choose what level you want back (and manage your health pool instead of let luck choose for you).

Work well as a sage or battlemage.

Tactician : Another great one. I don't like resource management of most classes in deadfire because they are too limited. I find monk, cipher & chanter fit better allowing you to generate resources. Tactician work the same. If multiclassed you can have unlimited discipline. (tempted with a blood mage/tactician battle mage!). The new cipher subclass make it even easier.

Note : the brilliant tactician is bugged with cipher spell that flank enemies, look like that don't proc it.

monk : A bit disapointed, because that just make you spam 1 ability and make all other wound attack useless. More curse you have, better is the dmg bonus from the attack. Too bad it's not a global bonus. Note : mortification ability work with the subclass.

Rogue : could fit perhaps some solo/RPG runs, but a cipher feel better at charming. And I have really hard time to not use trickster, just because I love the extra free abilities (if only all subclass got something similar).

Arcane archer : the idea is interesting, right now it's completly broken with some weapons. But feel counter intuitive with the pet : the pet don't love the aoe. Why web spell since you already have an ability that can immobilize? Why not just make a ghostheart/wizard where you don't bother to shoot your own pet?

Miss some munitions like :

Combustion ammo, apply combustion wound to all damaged targets (so it's scale with bouncing & aoe weapons). It help your pet dmg too and can proc the passive when enemies have a dot.

Draining ammo : Return a % of dmg as health to you & your pet.

Chanter : another summoner subclass.

Cipher : the interrupt ability work really great with a tactician, but the focus regen... with a level 20 multiclassed character it's 3 focus/second for just one unique ability. You just become an interrupt bot? When I read the patch note I was expecting something like a cipher that get focus from spell dmg.

It's just some quick impressions from the subclasses.

• Like 7

Blood mage : I would prefere if it add the blood sacrifice as a free spell for each spell level, letting you choose what level you want back (and manage your health pool instead of let luck choose for you).

+1

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Still dying for info on tactician.

If someone can give lowdown on "Brilliant Tactician" and "Tactical Dilemma" abilities I will reward with semi-homemade potentially bad joke.

Brilliant Tactician: Fighter gains the Brilliant Inspiration whenever all foes are Flanked and no allies are Flanked

Tactical Dilemma: Fighter is Shaken and Confused while Flanked

• Like 2

Arcane archer : the idea is interesting, right now it's completly broken with some weapons. But feel counter intuitive with the pet : the pet don't love the aoe. Why web spell since you already have an ability that can immobilize? Why not just make a ghostheart/wizard where you don't bother to shoot your own pet?

Combustion ammo, apply combustion wound to all damaged targets (so it's scale with bouncing & aoe weapons). It help your pet dmg too and can proc the passive when enemies have a dot.

Good ideas. I'm very interested in this class. Maybe I'll change my Druid/Wizard for the next game to Druid/Arcane Archer and complement the build with scrolls.

Twinned Shot should work with these spell shots, right?

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

Good ideas. I'm very interested in this class. Maybe I'll change my Druid/Wizard for the next game to Druid/Arcane Watcher and complement the build with scrolls.

Twinned Shot should work with these spell shots, right?

No. The imbues are active attack abilities like Wounding Shot or Twinned Shot. They cost Bond to use (and are not that cheap).

Nick Carver (who designed all the new subclasses) already confirmed that the AoE-weapon supercheese with imbues will get fixed. However, the multiple triggering through Driving Flight (and other jumping effects like from special enchantments - see Watershaper's Focus) will stay. So with Driving Flight those might be quite nice. Two or more Death Rings for a few Bind points with very high "casting" speed and good recovery is nice.

• Like 1

Merde. I promised a bad joke. Better make one up.

Hmmmm.

A wizard, an amazon, a dwarf and a goblin enters a bar. Behind the counter an oliphant is tending.

What can I get you?", the oliphant asks

"Rhum", the wizard says. "with lemons and sugar", the amazon adds. Both the goblin and the dwarf remain silent, dredging salt water from their clothes.

Noticing all four are drenched to the bone the oliphant asks, "What happended to you?"

"Have you heard of the *cough* Battle of the *cough* Burning Bay?" the goblin asks

"No!"

"Well, we just came from there 30 minutes ago. Great battle. Only survivors, we are!", the dward chimes in.

"It was horrible" the wizard croaks between fits of coughing.

"Oil on the waters, burning waves, ships locked in mortal combat. Friend killing enemy, that kind of stuff. Ships sinking by the minute.", the amazon listlessly recalls.

"I saw sharks on rafts! Four of them. And swallows of doom.", the goblin chimes in.

The dwarf hits the goblin on the head. "Don't mind him, he's got a concussion! There were no swallows. Dunno about the sharks. Plenty of rafts!"

"I knew we would survive when I heard the others approach!", the wizard excaims.

"How so?", the oliphant inquires

"You see it only takes 4 people, correction humanoids, to build and stabilize a raft.

And I knew we four couldn't sink!", tapping his forehead knowingly.

Why not?"

"Cause we have tonsilitis!"

[Edit, this works in danish, less so in english. Incorporate swallows and swallowing if you can. I couldn't!]

Edited by Frak
  • Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

I need to play the Arcane Archer.

I like the idea: bow + magic.

I will try Priest. 

I will heal you. 

About the Chanter, I would prefer with song focus and not another summoner type. I like music spells. 

Well the Druid, because Nature is all, plants and animals. I love this.

I would love to see more plants spells mainly, it's hard to see in RPG.

The Blood Mage, I don't know, I don't know.

It would be cool with more blood powers.

Why not Cosmic Mage?

About the Psion, I think I will try.

My soul is full of desires.

• Like 1