Diablo 3 has a better story than PoE 2

Playing through D3 again, this is my opinion. Apples to oranges you might say, but I say hogwash. D3's focus is combat, which I would argue is also PoE2's, under different umbrellas. However PoE2's story dissolves but D3 actually gets stronger. It's gripping and focused whereas PoEs main story is loose and unfocused. Sure you don't play D3 for the story, but it may help you stay, which I say is vice versa for PoE2 (come for the story, stay for the combat). Also the voice acting in D3 is top notch - brevity is the soul of wit - which Obsidian is slowly learning.

Hate me, come at me, but I may have a pt. :)

Edited by Verde

D3s story werent... offensive as such, it was just another serving of blizzard copypasta. Theyve been doing the same thing with diminishing returns since about WC3.

I legit dont know whats going on with that weird 'dark side transforming woman as major plot device' theyre so keen on. Kerrigan, Sylvanas, Leah.

Theres deffo some personal issue there being worked thru in public. Maybe someone has ex-girlfriend or rebellious teenage daughter.

Also seems blizzard games in competition to create dullest heroic male figure for which we're supposed to care. At minute is 3 way tie between Tyrael, Atarnis and Malfurion.

Honestly, these tendencies were legit fascinating for a while, but blizz then elect to gnaw same bone for my whole adult life, and now is a bit sad and embarrassing

Sort of like 40 yr old colleague who listen to nothing but paradise lost for over 25 years. Ive nothing against that band but u get the idea.

• Like 1

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

I haven't finished the game, but don't know how much you can criticize a story for being loose when, well, it is designed to be that way. It may not be what you expect or want, but that's a whole another discussion

I don't know how you can comment on a story you haven't finished yet :p

Edited by Verde

I haven't finished the game, but don't know how much you can criticize a story for being loose when, well, it is designed to be that way. It may not be what you expect or want, but that's a whole another discussion

peeps comment on soap operas all the time and those things have gone for decades without finishing. kinda like most blizzard ips, i guess.

diablo story wont finish until blizzard think they wont make any more money out of it. until then, itll be person kills diablo, diablo comes back, person kills diablo, diablo comes back, person kills diablo, diablo comes back, person kills diablo, diablo comes... you get the idea.

what happens in between of no real importance. deckard cains hammy narration suggests players enjoy themselves. tyrael says words.

maybe there some point to be made about futility and cyclical nature of history, but blizzard not interested in such and prob never will be. their writing mainly vehicle for merchandising opportunities and new hots characters, not story.

that fair, i suppose. so long as u have big monsters with funny voices, changing backgrounds and vague sense of doom, what more does one want from diablo game? seems odd to comment on - or even care about - details beyond that.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

I can’t say. First time I played Diablo 2 was when I had over 40 degrees high fever and I found it quite enjoyable. When I played it later with better health I found it painfully boring. Made full playthrough of Diablo1 and found it atmospheric but dull overall. Never touched diablo3. I found torchlight 2 dull as well.

Seeing how bad story of Starcraft 2 was, and hearing that all modern Blizzard titles follow the same formula, and character writing has never been particularly strong in Blizzard products, I highly doubt it has much good in it. I always found Blizzard products to be all about gameplay.

peeps comment on soap operas all the time and those things have gone for decades without finishing. kinda like most blizzard ips, i guess.

diablo story wont finish until blizzard think they wont make any more money out of it. until then, itll be person kills diablo, diablo comes back, person kills diablo, diablo comes back, person kills diablo, diablo comes back, person kills diablo, diablo comes... you get the idea.

what happens in between of no real importance. deckard cains hammy narration suggests players enjoy themselves. tyrael says words.

maybe there some point to be made about futility and cyclical nature of history, but blizzard not interested in such and prob never will be. their writing mainly vehicle for merchandising opportunities and new hots characters, not story.

that fair, i suppose. so long as u have big monsters with funny voices, changing backgrounds and vague sense of doom, what more does one want from diablo game? seems odd to comment on - or even care about - details beyond that.

If I say Blade Runner 2049 has a better story than the first...but I didn't finish the first...well my argument doesn't make much sense does it?

I can’t say. First time I played Diablo 2 was when I had over 40 degrees high fever and I found it quite enjoyable. When I played it later with better health I found it painfully boring. Made full playthrough of Diablo1 and found it atmospheric but dull overall. Never touched diablo3. I found torchlight 2 dull as well.

Seeing how bad story of Starcraft 2 was, and hearing that all modern Blizzard titles follow the same formula, and character writing has never been particularly strong in Blizzard products, I highly doubt it has much good in it. I always found Blizzard products to be all about gameplay.

torchlight are loud and colorful but can put you to sleep just like transformer movies

not sure why anyone like this kind of game

To confirm, you haven't played Diablo 3 at all, correct? Lol Edited by Verde
  • Like 1

If I say Blade Runner 2049 has a better story than the first...but I didn't finish the first...well my argument doesn't make much sense does it?

Eh what u on bruv? U saying diablo 3 is a sequel to deadfire? Like what.

I'm saying you can't comment on the entire story if you haven't finished it. Pretty simple and basic premise.

Edited by Verde

I'm saying you can't comment on the entire story if you haven't finished it. Pretty simple and basic premise.

But what if the story itself isnt finished and readers cant finish it...

What if the story is *never* finished? Does that mean no one is ever allowed to comment?

Do we just have to walk around it pretending it doesnt exist or get pulled into the breach like the folk in that china mieville novel.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Well it's a good thing I am not comparing the merits of each story, and just merely pointing out what is there to gained by doing exactly that for different stories that try to do completely different narrative things. I don't need to finish eating an apple to question why someone would compare it to an orange :)

Also, I would agree that both games are combat heavy too, but that has nothing to do with how they approach their narratives or a reason to compare them IMO

Edited by ts-sts

But what if the story itself isnt finished and readers cant finish it...

What if the story is *never* finished? Does that mean no one is ever allowed to comment?

Do we just have to walk around it pretending it doesnt exist or get pulled into the breach like the folk in that china mieville novel.

Bruh...the stories of Diablo 3 and Deadfire are not unending soap operas. They end. From point A to point B. What are you even talking about lol?

I played Diablo II for at least one year. I even had a clan. The "Nacken" - ever heard of it..? ;)

I didn't play D3 for more than a few hours because in my opinion the story was so off-putting...

ROFL nay - it was because the game as a whole just sucks really bad - at least for me. The great story (that somehow sounded oddly familiar) wasn't enough to keep me in line.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Wow. And I thought I'm the hater here. Damn, son.

Diablo 3 story was horrible, unless you're into Diablo-with-boobs fetish. No game in this series was made with story as its main focus, Blizzard did not even try.

And Obsidian tried w the main story of Deadfire? Clearly their focus was graphics, combat, and factions. The main story is dreadful. Edited by Verde

Wow. And I thought I'm the hater here. Damn, son.

Diablo 3 story was horrible, unless you're into Diablo-with-boobs fetish. No game in this series was made with story as its main focus, Blizzard did not even try.

And Obsidian tried w the main story of Deadfire? Clearly their focus was graphics, combat, and factions. The main story is dreadful.

It's clear from my posts that I'm not the biggest fan of Deadfire's main plot, to say the least, but even I can see that a lot more work went into it than in any Diablo game. It's like the post above mine states: they surely did try, just failed to satisfy their players. It happens.