Update #58 - The Forgotten Sanctum Preview

Great update, hype train starting for DLC3 and new sub-classes.

In other terms, I don't care that much for it but I expected some news on a revamp of the ship combat system, I remember some official words on Josh helping to shape it.

Edited by Daled
  • Like 4

This has been the dlc I've been looking forward to the most since they were first announced. To hear that we will be getting an extra wizard subclass out of it as well is great!

• Like 3

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

Very excited about this patch. I want to brainstorm ideas for the new subclasses. I'll throw out some wild (crazy?) ideas.

Maybe rogue could get a subclass specializing in range attacks, where they can use their melee weapon from range (counts as melee) and it flies back to them with some kind of technique or magic? Drawback could be a significant limitation on what kinds of weapons they can use. Maybe some weapons are too heavy or clunky to have it fly back, etc.

I'm hoping they came up with something interesting for warriors. Maybe a light armor type of warrior where they get an armor penalty for heavier armor, but are more mobile and agile? I really don't know on this one. Warriors are hard to design for me.

I would love something for wizards like they did with trickster for rogues. Could do a front line wizard where they reduce spell cast time, add skills like armored grace as choices when leveling, and increase base hp in exchange for -2pl for all spells. Idk if that's even balanced, but I'm just saying I want something exciting.

They could also do something along the lines of the sorcerer class, where you get more casts in exchange for inability to use spellbooks? I can't imagine anyone giving up access to the unique spells though.

If they came up with a way to make wizard spell casts a renewable resource, that would be an incredible new subclass too.

What do you guys think, other ideas?

Ok, another 3-4 months and it will be possible to play the final build.

I hope that the subclass for the rogues will not be associated with pirates.

Is there supposed to be major patch release after Sanctum? Or are you just referring to a final bug patch?

This has been the dlc I've been looking forward to the most since they were first announced. To hear that we will be getting an extra wizard subclass out of it as well is great!

Why? The sub-classes of wizards are bad. You lose access to 2 schools for 2 power levels. If it were +10 PL, i would say ok, but +2 is not enough. That needs a complete rework.

• Like 2

Why? The sub-classes of wizards are bad. You lose access to 2 schools for 2 power levels. If it were +10 PL, i would say ok, but +2 is not enough. That needs a complete rework.

+10 PL is way too obscene.

The subclasses aren't really that bad. They are more niche. If all you do is focus in on your specialized school, you are strictly better than a normal wizard in every way possible. Try rolling an evoker, transmute, or illusionist. Conjurers and enchanters need some help because PL scaling is really bad for buffs and summons.

Edited by thelee

Ok, another 3-4 months and it will be possible to play the final build.

I hope that the subclass for the rogues will not be associated with pirates.

Is there supposed to be major patch release after Sanctum? Or are you just referring to a final bug patch?

I think he is referring to the continued patching. Though PoE2 patch/dlc process has been faster, so who knows when it will be the close-to-final build

Edited by ts-sts
  • Like 1

The subclasses aren't really that bad. They are more niche. If all you do is focus in on your specialized school, you are strictly better than a normal wizard in every way possible. Try rolling an evoker, transmute, or illusionist. Conjurers and enchanters need some help because PL scaling is really bad for buffs and summons.

I haven't tried them personally, but I would think that Illusionists suffer more than Conjurers.  The vast majority of illusions just get duration and (for the debuffs) tiny ACC boosts from a higher PL.  Conjurers at least have some staple spells that benefit from the PL scaling on Damage and Penetration (NecLance, NoxBurst, the Walls, etc.).  Are there even Illusions that do direct damage besides Wall of Many Colors? 

(That said, the non-spell specialization benefit and excluded schools probably both favor Illusionists.)

I haven't tried them personally, but I would think that Illusionists suffer more than Conjurers.  The vast majority of illusions just get duration and (for the debuffs) tiny ACC boosts from a higher PL.  Conjurers at least have some staple spells that benefit from the PL scaling on Damage and Penetration (NecLance, NoxBurst, the Walls, etc.).  Are there even Illusions that do direct damage besides Wall of Many Colors? 

(That said, the non-spell specialization benefit and excluded schools probably both favor Illusionists.)

Concelhaut's Crushing Doom are illusion spell

So, this DLC seems pretty centered around Wael. Would a Wael-godlike be too much to hope for? 

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I hope it will be as good as Beast of Winter. I'd love to see some Lovecraftian themes in FS (personally I am huge fan of Nyarlathotep) however I never liked Wael much (ironically as it is the closest thing to 'Lovecraftian deity').

Hope Ondra will have some love in FS too :)

Patch 4.0 sounds fantastic, especially Woedica's challenge.

Based on this:

All of the subclasses were designed by Nick Carver, though I gave some high-level feedback on them.  I’m not sure if we have plans for an update about them, so I’ll refrain for now.

Looks like they won't be reusing any of the unique companion subclasses, which in my book is a huge plus.

I'm very curious about them. I don't think there can be any DPS-oriented Fighter or Monk subclass that trumps the Devoted/Helwalker combo for me, but still—you never know, and I'm very curious nonetheless.

Now we really need to know whether we can mix the Challenges with mods and Blessings :)

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus