i have poleaxe for him. i notice when he attacks there are no highlights around him. when he hit, he only hit a single enemy. only the hand mortar when  you aim has the target radius.

can anyone confirm it's not bugged in 3.11? many thanks

i'm running a party with 2x barbarians in 3.1.1. first it was serafen + mainchar(corpse eater), and now it's rekke + mainchar(corpse eater), because serafen's wild mind class is garbage and makes for a terrible witch multiclass. I can confirm carnage works.

Remember:

• carnage only triggers on a weapon hit, so you shouldn't see any carnage attacks on a graze
    • this has the side effect of making perception way more important than might for a barbarian interested in doing lots of carnage damage.
  • in Deadfire for some inexplicable reason you don't get a yellow targeting circle around enemies you attack for the carnage radius. carnage still works despite this.
  • carnage has a small base radius of 1.5m. It can be boosted by intellect and Rings of Overseeing, etc, but by default it's going to be fairly small (think of how small a priest Repulsing Seal radius is when you try to target it). So unless you are specifically boosting intellect or using equipment to boost radius, enemies have to be basically touching your target to be affected by carnage. (though my mainchar has aloth's armor, two rings of overseeing, high intellect, and gets litany for the spirit cast on him, so he has a decently big carnage radius now and can affect enemies a little further away)
Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

does the radius 1.5m scale upon leveling? make sense due to the small radius. guess i have no luck with serafen then but have to specifically just buff the radius with so many items and abilities. honestly speaking, veterans of deadfire like this kind of changes? so many effort needed just to make the bigger radius.

ps. also if the carnage radius doesn't show it should be clearly a bug. this was not the case in poe1. very badly design deadfire :(

Edited by Archaven

does the radius 1.5m scale upon leveling? make sense due to the small radius. guess i have no luck with serafen then but have to specifically just buff the radius with so many items and abilities. honestly speaking, veterans of deadfire like this kind of changes? so many effort needed just to make the bigger radius.

no, it doesn't scale with leveling. only damage and accuracy per PL.

I think the intention was deliberately to tone down carnage from PoE1. It's not bad, so long as you don't have intellect less than 10. If you manage to hit two other enemies, you're doing pretty well, generally speaking.

i'm running a party with 2x barbarians in 3.1.1. first it was serafen + mainchar(corpse eater), and now it's rekke + mainchar(corpse eater), because serafen's wild mind class is garbage and makes for a terrible witch multiclass. I can confirm carnage works.

Hey now, Wild Mind may be a totally inadequate sidegrade to an inadequate core class, but you need a lot of room on the bottom to distinguish it from the truly bad (Brotherhood of the Five Suns) and figurative tire fires (Sister of the Reaping Moon).

...yeah they really need to do a companion unique subclass balance pass at some point.

seriously do you guys wear aloth's armor on a barbarian tank? you wont stack enough armor with light armor. well except you are goldpact?

my corpse-eater cares more about being fast. he's also actually a shaman (corpse-eater + priest of skaen), so I have extra heals, enemy accuracy debuffs, and I can Escape to eat corpses for more healing or even just for the temporary +50 deflection boost. Ironically, when I had serafen in my party (who was wearing heavier armor), serafen had much harder time staying alive. rekke is doing fine though (upgraded heavy armor + thick-skinned + armored grace + litany for the body = 25% under pen for many enemies but still fast)

Hey now, Wild Mind may be a totally inadequate sidegrade to an inadequate core class, but you need a lot of room on the bottom to distinguish it from the truly bad (Brotherhood of the Five Suns) and figurative tire fires (Sister of the Reaping Moon).

...yeah they really need to do a companion unique subclass balance pass at some point.

however much off the other special subclasses might be (and I don't mind Sister of the Reaping Moon at all), serafen's is the only one that has actively caused harm to me.

I think the last straw for this paticular run was using Mind Blades and triggering a Wild Mind that made all enemies hit with it invisible. "Welp, time to go get Rekke." Anytime in the future I use serafen it'll be as a pure barb.

Edited by thelee

seriously do you guys wear aloth's armor on a barbarian tank? you wont stack enough armor with light armor. well except you are goldpact?

my corpse-eater cares more about being fast. he's also actually a shaman (corpse-eater + priest of skaen), so I have extra heals, enemy accuracy debuffs, and I can Escape to eat corpses for more healing or even just for the temporary +50 deflection boost. Ironically, when I had serafen in my party (who was wearing heavier armor), serafen had much harder time staying alive. rekke is doing fine though (upgraded heavy armor + thick-skinned + armored grace + litany for the body = 25% under pen for many enemies but still fast)

however much off the other special subclasses might be (and I don't mind Sister of the Reaping Moon at all), serafen's is the only one that has actively caused harm to me.

I think the last straw for this paticular run was using Mind Blades and triggering a Wild Mind that made all enemies hit with it invisible. "Welp, time to go get Rekke." Anytime in the future I use serafen it'll be as a pure barb.

i haven't been playing a barbarian yet in deadfire. still cant decide which is the other better multi-class option. i don't fancy using serafen for the things you mentioned. also the wild mind. but without him having the cipher subclass making it a little immersion breaking as the whole story and conversation was scripted as a cipher. maybe can use unity console and make him a regular cipher instead.

i haven't been playing a barbarian yet in deadfire. still cant decide which is the other better multi-class option. i don't fancy using serafen for the things you mentioned. also the wild mind. but without him having the cipher subclass making it a little immersion breaking as the whole story and conversation was scripted as a cipher. maybe can use unity console and make him a regular cipher instead.

I've been waiting for someone to make a mod that just reduces the Wild Mind proc rate to 0.  I'm a modding ignoramus, but, just based on Josh's statements about lots of the game data being stored in plain text formats, it seems to me like that'd be the simplest way to go about it.