Deadfire won't win RPG of the year (VGA's)

World of Warcraft is an RPG (that I never played) and afaik it's among the most prominent games - maybe the most prominent there is. Even my parents and their neighbors heard about it... And they are ooold. And they have no smartphones.

wtfreaction.gif

I know! Right?

WoW is an MMO which isn't the same as single player RPG like Deadfire. However there are a few RPGs I would put up into the same echelon of pop culture popularity as WoW, including Mass Effect 2 (ARPG for the ADHD), Witcher 3, and Fallout 3. Most other RPGs are just known in inner circles imho. To me it's a travesty that of all the Mass Effects, ME2 is considered the best, when I personally felt it was the Michael Bay-equivalent. Edited by Verde

It's an MMORPG. The most dominant games now are massively social versions of traditional genres.

A persistent online RPG is different than a single player RPG is the distinction I'm making. No one knows about Deadfire. My friends even forgot. But they all know about Fallout 76.

Edited by Verde

WoW is an MMO which isn't the same as single player RPG like Deadfire.

I didn't say that it is a single player RPG. It is an RPG nonetheless and thus fits as an counterexample for the initial statement.

World of Warcraft (WoW) is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) released in 2004 by Blizzard Entertainment.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It's an MMORPG. The most dominant games now are massively social versions of traditional genres.

A persistent online RPG is different than a single player RPG is the distinction I'm making. No one knows about Deadfire. My friends even forgot. But they all know about Fallout 76.

I'm not sure we are disagreeing. I am saying it's an mmo, but it's an rpg too. There is a craving for rpgs just most people would rather game socially now.

I'm not sure we are disagreeing. I am saying it's an mmo, but it's an rpg too. There is a craving for rpgs just most people would rather game socially now.

Agreed.

Bethesda is more recognizable brand than Obsidian. For general public at least.

Oh mai. Oh dear

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...