Deadfire won't win RPG of the year (VGA's)

Is it safe to say that Witcher is the modern version of King's Quest and Pillars is the modern day version of Ultima

I dunno about the witcher. I know all roads lead back to ultima but i feel pillars true genesis was the dnd goldbox era.

Ultima kind of ended up digging its own weird little trench largely divorced from everything else around it, though I see a fair of bit of Ultima 7's influence about, esp in OG fallout, Arcanum, BG1+2 and Gothic.

Not too long ago, i played the early ultimas again for old times sake. Its really shocking how *weird* that series could be.

Like, many of the old RPGs were highly eccentric one way or another - Wizardry, Might and Magic in particular - but i dont think there was anything quite as odd as ultimas blend.

U went into space and visited cities called 'Paws' from day one. There was a dude called 'Lord British'. The avatar and their mates existed for generations bcs why not. Then u mixed into this whimsy all that highminded virtue stuff.

I feel D:OS has got a noticeable streak of ultima in its hair. The divinity series as a whole might have inherited its occasionally jarring tone from ultima.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

German synchronizers also did that with most of the Bud Spencer and Terence Hill movies, but to a lesser extend (also quite popular in Germany).

Those are a gem. My grandpa laughs his head off over them. =)

Translations by talented people sometimes do wonders, that's true.

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

DOS 2 is a very good game, and the armour system is child's play, just make sure your party is focused on either magic or physical, don't go half and half (hell you can solo it with a good build on tac/ honour mode). Pillars 2 story or the lack thereof will stop it getting any critical awards (and the godawful overland travel system, is only marginally better than Pathfinder, and that's saying something)... I have no idea why they thought ship combat was a major feature 0.0). They are, however, 2 different games, and if I was voting, DOS 2 would win easily and by a country mile. Attacking DOS 2 will not somehow make Pillars 2 more of a commercial success. Me I'll continue to play both franchises (unless Miserysoft kills Pillars 3) and enjoy them more or less.

• Like 1

I would pick Pillars over DOS2, just because the narrative in DOS2 is such a mess - for example the end is almost as bad as the end of BG2 - the whole epic story boils downward rather than upward.  Probably fun for multiple players but as a single player game POE2 all the way.  Plus I would argue the quests in POE2 are well told and very entertaining.  There is some fun stuff in DOS2, like the teleporting barrel, but the Deadfire has as much if not more detail.

• Like 2

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I would pick Pillars over DOS2, just because the narrative in DOS2 is such a mess - for example the end is almost as bad as the end of BG2 - the whole epic story boils downward rather than upward.  Probably fun for multiple players but as a single player game POE2 all the way.  Plus I would argue the quests in POE2 are well told and very entertaining.  There is some fun stuff in DOS2, like the teleporting barrel, but the Deadfire has as much if not more detail.

When it comes to narrative of side-quests, sure, maybe it does. But the reactivity is a whole different world. Strategically using weather effects with your spells, and objects located on the battlefield, is something Deadfire will never have. In Deadfire every fight is chug pots, eat food, buff up, tank & spank.

Also killing enemies by throwing a chest at them is hilarious.

• Like 1

Funny how so many topics turn into DOS hate, are people really that butthurt that it sold much better than Deadfire? :D

Butthurt I wasted $60 :/

Then get a refund. Unless you actually played a lot and you can't do that, in which case how is that money wasted? ;)
I played 7 hrs. Don't be so presumptuous:p Edited by Verde

I saw 0 marketing for Deadfire. Was there even any?

Barely.

As I've saud before (in another thread) Obsidian's greatest weakness is their horrible marketing skills. Pillars 1 on consoles is still one of the worst selling games this gen - by a well known/experienced developer. Perhaps they thought their rep was enough but it failed miserably.

Now that they have Microsoft though (or Microsoft has them rather), Obsidian never needs to worry about marketing again lol

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Marketing is something that is generally taken care of by the publisher. It's often frowned upon if the developers try to do it themselves after signing a publisher contract.

So if a game has weak marketing, it's almost always publisher's fault. And let's say it, this game was published by nobodies.

Well, this is really getting my hopes up for Divinity 2, isn't it, having bought it part-way through playing D:OS1 just?

(While I wait for Kingmaker to get the bugs out and, at this point, PoE2's expansion.bugfixes to come out before I start a new playthrough (I stopped after realising the companion relations were bugged at launch and then went into a Paradox cycle of "wait for bug fix/expansion's nearly out/wait for bug fix/expansion's nearly ouy...))

(Though from the sounds f the equipment issue, maybe I won't spend half my playtime crafting...?)

Well, this is really getting my hopes up for Divinity 2, isn't it, having bought it part-way through playing D:OS1 just?

(While I wait for Kingmaker to get the bugs out and, at this point, PoE2's expansion.bugfixes to come out before I start a new playthrough (I stopped after realising the companion relations were bugged at launch and then went into a Paradox cycle of "wait for bug fix/expansion's nearly out/wait for bug fix/expansion's nearly ouy...))

(Though from the sounds f the equipment issue, maybe I won't spend half my playtime crafting...?)

You may not find the refuge you seek in DOS2 ;)

• Like 1

When it comes to narrative of side-quests, sure, maybe it does. But the reactivity is a whole different world. Strategically using weather effects with your spells, and objects located on the battlefield, is something Deadfire will never have. In Deadfire every fight is chug pots, eat food, buff up, tank & spank.

Also killing enemies by throwing a chest at them is hilarious.

Don't get me wrong I liked DOS2 and DOS1 they are good games and fun, but again am more for combat in POE - DOS2 is a little too easy in my book to get an overwhelming advantage ... The other thing is the money cheat that I discovered on my own lol not reading forums, I thought I was so smart until I noticed I started steam rolling all the encounters (edit:  will note I play on the hardest difficulty) because my gear was always the best ... in terms of throwing a barrel totally and there are a hundred other cools things about it too I mean I am an Ultima fan so the fact that you can pick up a spoon is cool.  But as for the poison clouds, water/electricity stuff - I am not so sold on it, I always preferred turning someone into a chicken, cutting their hamstring so they bleed when they walk, and then catching the chicken on fire so it runs around ... ;) fastest way to kill someone I found ...

I would recommend DOS2 for sure I liked it but something about POE games and its combat/characters allows me to play them over and over again where I am not sure I could do that with the DOS games.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

2 more days til the VGA's!

Special Offer: 2 nuts special for all of you from Captain Squirell, on the tree-house!!!!!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

2 nuts special sounds like a wonky sex move.

But as for the poison clouds, water/electricity stuff - I am not so sold on it, I always preferred turning someone into a chicken, cutting their hamstring so they bleed when they walk, and then catching the chicken on fire so it runs around ... ;) fastest way to kill someone I found ...

1. Find a chest you can pick up

2. Fill it with everything. EVERYTHING.

3. Throw the chest at unsuspecting enemy.

4. Loot the corpse.

People were literally creating "barrelmancer" builds which focused on throwing heavy objects at enemies. And one One Punch Man chest for emergencies :D

That is the kind of environmental reactivity I expect from a good RPG title.

Edited by Manveru123
  • Like 1

Yes, @Manveru123 luckily you are basically a god so you don't need to sleep and you can pick up a barrel full of stuff, and also fly around :biggrin:   On a serious note I think Larian would make good Marvel super hero games!!!  That being said am always game for more reactivity in the environment, but even with that still like POE2 combat more, it is way more satisfying - I actually find myself using the terrain more in POE2 in terms of gaining an advantage in fights I couldn't win otherwise.

Edit:  I should say using the terrain a lot, really not sure if more.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

The truth I bring to you today:

VGA's in one more day!!! HURRAY!!

1 DAY = 1 NUT!

There's no such thing as "No Nut December" in the Obsidian forums!!!

It kind of says a lot about the CRPG scene when Divinity derails the thread this hard, despite not even being nominated due to releasing last year.

I took a look at the RPG nominations this year out of curiosity, and I think realistically, MHW or Octopath Traveler are going to win. Though many even in the MHW community are puzzled at how it got categorized as RPG instead of Action Adventure. Having played it extensively myself, I have to question that categorization too. I suspect it only made it in because the Action Adventure category is packed, and the award creators didn't want to snub Capcom out of a nomination for a game that literally sold 10+ million copies. That and there's rumors that there may be some sort of announcement relating to the series at the awards too.

Octopath Traveler has a rather novel character/plot setup for a JRPG (no real overarching plot or canon main character along with being rather open world instead of linear, every character having a personal overworld skill that works on almost every NPC in the game), though it's mainly going to be carried to a possible win by its retro-ish art style and the fact that it's a Square Enix game that's exclusive to the Switch above all.

DQ11 is a JRPG-ass JRPG, I played it and it was charming, but hardly deserving of RPG of the year, especially with the awful midi soundtrack. At least it's not really SE's fault for the composer holding the series back.

No comment on Ni-no-kuni, as I know virtually nothing about that. Alas, it's likely fans of the other nominated games will say the exact same thing about POE2.

Edited by Saito Hikari

I played Ni No Kuni 2 actually and felt that its a game that takes best parts of Star Ocean and Suikoden, when it comes to combat and building your own power base. Unfortunately the game is aimed at younger audience so the story and characters are very childish. If they took this system and made a serious game with it, it would be huge.