Suggestion: Separate Weapon Proficiency Points from Level Up Points

I find one of the hardest decisions in games like POE is deciding weapon proficiencies. I find the decision is always made well before you get a feel for the playstyle of each character and well before any of the powerful weapons appear. In POE2, powerful weapons that get more powerful with enchantments seem to come along quite often, and I don't have the game funds to pay for respecs everytime I want to upgrade my primary slots. Even if I did, the more prohibitive factor is resetting all the other level up points that made my character feel right. Honestly, there's plenty of times (and weapons) where I would gladly pay half the re-spec fee just to pick a different set that would make use of the next best gold weapon.

Can you please look at separating the respec of these two systems? That way we can have more fun tailoring our characters to the gear that comes up, even if it costs half or more in respec fees.

• 2 weeks later...

Ideally, all six spendable point lots could be separated into resettable services. The player could choose to refund any of the points spent in: Utility Skills, Active Skills, Passive Skills, Active Abilities, Passive Abilities, and Weapon Proficiencies. The cost to do each could be a portion of the regular reset fee per character level, plus some, and each time a point pool is reset then the price goes up.

I suggest being able to reset Active and Passive Abilities separately because sometimes you just want to release the points spent on the left or right side of the table while keeping the others the same (saves mousing over and reading every little icon again and again). Points reset from one side would be free to be spent on either side.

All in all it'd make customising characters based on gear we come across and new things we learn about skills and foes a lot more sensible and bearable.

Edited by FacesOfMu

Personally, I quite like the fact that you won't know and that you can make unfortunate choices. I make my choices based upon on what I would like to use, and sometimes these turn out to be far from optimal. I think it's perfectly realistic.

I understand there are different approaches to these games: some people wish to optimize everything, but for me, that would remove pretty much all the fun. Besides, I can tell you from rather long CRPG experience that optimization is not needed in the least.

I think first of all there are plenty of weapon proficiency points to use (if you are not a Devoted).

Secondly weapon proficiencies don't do much besides adding a modal that is not very impactful in most cases anyway. A case where you want to have them is Confident Aim. They do not make you generaly better with the corresponding weapons.

And then: for the rare cases you really can't use any of your picked weapon proficiencies and it makes a difference for your char in combat - there's retraining.

So the problem is not really pressing in my opinion.

But I agree that it would be cool to be able to only "partially" retrain: only the last x levels or only proficiencies or so. That's not a bad idea.

Unfortunately, like I said above, I don't think that the problems are so pressing that we will see a change in this matter (via patch). Maybe this is moddable though?

• Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Secondly weapon proficiencies don't do much besides adding a modal that is not very impactful in most cases anyway. A case where you want to have them is Confident Aim. They do not make you generaly better with the corresponding weapons.

Another example is the unarmed Haymaker for monks, since it gives you 2 additional Penetration points, which may be crucial in rare fights (such as a certain dragon). Otherwise, I agree completely.

• Like 1

Another example is the unarmed Haymaker for monks, since it gives you 2 additional Penetration points, which may be crucial in rare fights (such as a certain dragon). Otherwise, I agree completely.

Neriscyrlas? You can take animancer blade. It deals raw damage, so her armor does not count.