Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Political Thread - Burlamaqui edition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
688 replies to this topic

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

And, that's when they'll start sending people to the ovens because  they'll say to beat global warming you need less people so 25% of all people must be killed. And, they'll be 'fair' and do some sort of lottery. LMFAO

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
"People" are whining bags of meat whos seeming only purpose is to tear down instead of build up, only capable of generating problems instead of solutions. Weve fostered this for generations and now its coming home to roost. Myself included.

Im curious though...for you is there no middle ground between "Western" democracy ----> dictatorship?

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't think 'western democracy' gives enough freedom as is. Having money stolen because you choose not to wear a seatbelt is the ultimate nanny law.

Thingolfin

Thingolfin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 282 posts

Not wearing a seatbelt you are a danger to others, if the car crashes. It's as reasonable as smoking bans in public places.

I'm ok with some nanny laws, others not. Playing Poker tournaments for cash was illegal in Norway up until recently. Completely ridiculous. Of course most people didn't care about the law and did it anyway, but still dumb.

Edited by Thingolfin, 16 January 2019 - 12:17 PM.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Not wearing a seatbelt you are a danger to others, if the car crashes."

talk about stretching nonsense. Next youa re gonna claim helmet laws exist because if you don't wear a helmet it is dangerous for other people. LMAO

Only Nazis are pro nanny laws.

Edited by Volourn, 16 January 2019 - 02:30 PM.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2658 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
I'd be against nanny laws if most people weren't giant children.
  • Volourn and aluminiumtrioxid like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3267 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Wasn't sure whether to put this here, the basketball thread, or maybe even the random news thread.

• Malcador likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

May's government survives no confidence vote.

I guess we'll see what happens in tomorrows no confidence vote. :biggrin:

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5329 posts

It's always fun to see that people still think that the solution to a fractured society is more authoritarianism. Because of course in these dark times wise men of strong moral fiber are needed to drag the unwashed masses to greatness—kicking and screaming if need be.

This time we'll get it right, guys.

• Volourn, Bartimaeus and Malcador like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Butterfly Effect: If I fake sneeze in America, a child in China will get a hernia.

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts

talk about stretching nonsense. Next youa re gonna claim helmet laws exist because if you don't wear a helmet it is dangerous for other people. LMAO

There are other ways in which one's idiocy can affect others. For instance, should one suffer grievous injuries as a result of not wearing a seatbelt or helmet I don't see many people advocating paramedics administering the "Emperor's Peace" on them to save on medical costs instead of nursing them back to health.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 597 posts

My kingdom for a worldwide EMP. :lol:

I would miss my XM Radio but otherwise I'd be just fine. Bring it on!

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10614 posts

Another week, another no confidence vote. Do the MP's get paid per no confidence vote or something? Imagine what they could accomplish if they spent as much time parlimenting as they did no confidence voting. :lol:

I think you guys might just have dodged a bullet in 1776 :grin:

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
This is too good not to post :p

• Chilloutman likes this

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is going to Canada for surgery

https://www.courier-...ada/2568200002/

Here were my comments from a couple other sites, but are relevant to the topic:

The hospital may be private, but it still covers Canadians who use the country's single-payer universal healthcare program. It still receives money and reimbursements from the government, which lowers its overall costs for all treatments. It is not a coincidence that Rand Paul's hernia surgery would costs only $6000 to $8000 at the Canadian "private" hospitals, but the same surgery would cost well over $20,000 in the U.S. Rand Paul is paying the cheaper rate in Canada because that "private" hospital is being indirectly subsidized by Canadian taxpayers in a country that has an overall better healthcare system.

Even if America institutes single-payer universal healthcare, we will still have private hospitals - just like the one Rand Paul is going to in Canada. And, like the "private" Canadian hospital Rand Paul is going, the treatment costs will be lowered (even for private hospitals) because Americans won't have to deal with the parasitic health insurance industry. The private insurance industry really does nothing, offers nothing of value, does not innovate, does not advance nor create new medical technologies. It exists solely to make profits as an unnecessary middleman, to increase healthcare costs and find ways to deny treatments for customers to cut costs. The private insurance industry is parasitic in nature.

You cannot just say, "hey, it's a private hospital!" and ignore the context in which that hospital exists. It is a private hospital that exists in the environment of the country's single-payer healthcare, and it benefits from that environment - which leads to overall lower costs and better treatments; i.e., it is rated as number one in hernia treatment, and its treatment cost is less than half for the same treatment in the U.S. So ask yourself, why that superior hospital exists in the context and environment of Canada but NOT the U.S.? My conjecture: that private hospital does not have to deal with the middleman industry - i.e., the private insurance industry that artificially inflates costs (like in America) by not actually adding or creating values for customers/patients. When Canada reduces or eliminates the parasitic middlemen, then the healthcare industry can focus on, well, healthcare instead of feeding profits to the parasites.

And that reflects the hypocrisy of Rand Paul and libertarians who opposes single-payer universal healthcare but would gladly take advantage of the overall better treatment and lower cost it provides in a foreign country.

It has everything to do with Rand Paul as a congressman who consistently opposes the Canadian-style single-payer universal healthcare and insists America's fully privatized healthcare system is superior to Canada's.

He may be going to a "private" hospital in Canada because it offers the best hernia surgery in the world and at a cost cheaper than what U.S. hospitals can offer. However, it is the environment and policies of Canada's single-payer universal healthcare that allows that hospital to exist and thrive - and to charge him only $8,000 when the same treatment would cost over $20,000 in America where medical costs are greatly inflated by the parasitic healthcare insurance and paperwork industry. Now THAT kind of unproductive wasteful bureaucracy, created by an unnecessary middleman in the privatized healthcare, is far worse than any government's bureaucracy. The bureaucracy of the government in Canada has led to an overall better treatment and lower cost for healthcare that even the libertarian Rand Paul cannot resist, while the bureaucracy of the private insurance industry in America has led to worse outcomes - higher costs, substandard treatments - than whatever bureaucracy of the government can produce.

Of course, he as a private citizen can do whatever he wants, but it shows his two-faced duplicity and hypocrisy.

P.S. BTW, other comments by CANADIANS in here point out: that Canadian hospital is actually not completely "private". It still benefits and receives money from Canada's single-payer healthcare system. So, as always, Rand Paul and libertarians LIED and DECEIVE again.

Edited by ktchong, 16 January 2019 - 09:19 PM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 597 posts

Hmm... I believe Rand Paul is a Republican. I thin you are confusing him for his father. But... y'know... they all look the same right?

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's always fun to see that people still think that the solution to a fractured society is more authoritarianism. Because of course in these dark times wise men of strong moral fiber are needed to drag the unwashed masses to greatness—kicking and screaming if need be.

This time we'll get it right, guys.

Moral fiber? Lol Wtf? Id settle for anyone that can "get something accomplished". The problem isn't our individual leaders, its the entire government from the ground up.

Also, to you, theres no middle ground between this wild wild west clown show that we employ -----> China shoot you and bill your family the bullet?

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

49947942_1329391893870720_91643703015830

But no-ones staring at Germany this time around...

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hmm... I believe Rand Paul is a Republican. I thin you are confusing him for his father. But... y'know... they all look the same right?

Well, RINO anyway, we all know he's really libertarian. I'd have laughed if it was any other Republican, it just happened to be Rand Paul.

49947942_1329391893870720_91643703015830

But no-ones staring at Germany this time around...

I don't think they were staring at Germany that time either? Other than the fact that WWI would have just recently ended.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5329 posts

Moral fiber? Lol Wtf? Id settle for anyone that can "get something accomplished".

Well, then. I hear Los Zetas are pretty good at getting stuff done, if you don't much care about morals. Also, they are fairly upfront regarding what they are about, unlike the US government. Great track record dealing with complainers, too.

• Chilloutman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users