The Political Thread - Burlamaqui edition

Amentep

RIP George Bush. He was from a different time. He was certainly not hesitant to use negative comments to disparage opponents but there was never the meanness or absolutism we have today. He & Bill Clinton were the last holdouts from a time when political opponents were just people with differing ideas. People you were friends with otherwise. Not evil incarnate as they are seen today. 

He was the last WWII Veteran to serve. Actually he was the last combat veteran of any conflict to serve for what that is worth. You'd think President's who had seen war first hand would not be so cavalier about sending his countrymen into another one but even a casual look at our history shows that isn't true. 

As far as his place in history I think he was a middle of the road, caretaker President who made some mistakes and did some things right. Certainly not the worst and not counted among the good ones. He was honest and even tempered (relatively speaking considering his peers then and now)

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So I guess bump stocks are out. Where my cold dead hands people at?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't like bump stocks.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I like stock bumps. Especially if it's a stock i own.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"I want a kinder, more gentle nation"

-George H.W Bush

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

-George H.W Bush

Whelp... I believe we have f----d that one all up!   :lol:

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

all the second amendment honks we personal know were okie dokie with bump stock prohibitions.  most such folks we know were genuine curious why such prohibitions has taken so long to be implemented, 'cause almost nobody were against such.  automatic weapons has been banned w/o much nra resistance for some time.  whenever pundits at cnn misrepresented semi-automatic rifles as being equivalent to full-auto machine guns, folks with firing neurons would roll their eyes and attempt to once again explain the fundamental difference 'tween automatic and semi-auto weapons.  "of course automatic weapons are illegal."  

las vegas happened.

were a shock to many gun folks.  see video from the mass shooting and hear the rapid-fire gun shots.  sounded like automatic weapon fire.  knowledgeable folks seeing/hearing initial vegas video assumed the shooter were using automatic weapons, which were already prohibited, so no real need for change to laws, eh?  bump stocks came as a shock to many gun folks, but las vegas made the shock particular disturbing.  

again, all the gun folks we personal know has been in agreement regarding automatic weapons = bad.  this were never a cold dead hands issue 'cause emotional and psychological, gun folks were already opposed to what bump stocks do.  for years such gun folks had accepted and were in agreement with automatic weapon bans.  discover bump stocks could effective transform semi-auto into auto were disconcerting to such folk and most we know were wondering how such modifications could be legal.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

-George H.W Bush

Ah, the revision begins. I'm sure the usual, priestly talking heads are busy sanctifying the man, they earlier this year fell on with #metoo shenanigans, because Americans have the attention span of gold fish and the memories of gnats. I'm also certain we're knocking on his big dream of a friendlier, social credit America policing itself into oblivion.

No. In reality, he and Cheney were and are disgusting sycophants.

Of course, President Bush wasn't allowed to just enjoy the show quietly. He hobnobbed with country stars and celebrities and offered this memorable zinger: "When I need a little free advice about Saddam [Hussein], I turn to country music" (quote via Entertainment Weekly).

-George H.W Bush

Ah, the revision begins. I'm sure the usual, priestly talking heads are busy sanctifying the man, they earlier this year fell on with #metoo shenanigans, because Americans have the attention span of gold fish and the memories of gnats. I'm also certain we're knocking on his big dream of a friendlier, social credit America policing itself into oblivion.

No. In reality, he and Cheney were and are disgusting sycophants.

You a big fan I gather ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Everything political related is better with Halo ost

Nehe

Nehehehe

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Everything political related is better with Halo ost

Nehe

Nehehehe

Take a look at this video and how Pence has become use to immediately pandering to anything Trump says, even if he is not sure if Trump is being sincere

Pence was actually prepared to raise his hand in some sycophantic gesture to what Trump said  :shrugz:  

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

When will the world wake up to the brutal suppression the Macron Regime is visiting upon its populace? La Shabiha has already injured more than 100 peaceful protesters and the security apparatus has detained nearly 400 yellow jacket activists as well as using chemical agents and armoured vehicles on protesting groups. We need a no fly zone and a UN resolution demanding Macron step down, and if this does not happen I hope the East will step up to the plate with appropriate support for select vetted peaceful moderate groups- AKs, Kornet's, Konkurs, SA-7, Fagots, Malyutka and maybe a Buk-M2 and T72B3 or so.

I'm sure the vetting will be so good so we won't end up with L'Etat Islamique Fraternique de France beheading people including foreign nationals publicly in slickly produced videos (albeit that's not as classy as having David do propaganda paintings for you like OG LEFF), or alternatively spending hundreds of millions to have 6 vetted individuals left after the rest immediately defect to Le Front Supportif, a subsidiary group of Le Network.

Seriously though, it is kind of amusing watching the Macron Narrative fall apart. Who would have thought that labeling a completely orthodox centre-right economic policy as a startling and new paradigm shift wouldn't work long term? Pas de merde that massively regressive fuel taxes are horribly unpopular, especially in a country with a tradition of protest like France, they're unpopular enough here where we have a tradition of being merely mildly miffed. Just buy an electric car guys, I'm sure you've got the 25k Euro hidden down the back of your sofa, much as you had the 15k Euro a few years ago everyone was recommending the diesels they now want to get rid of. Yeah, nah, of course the people who end up paying the taxes are precisely those who can't afford to just buy an electric car while subsidising people with said spare 25k Euro to boot. At least Paris has a decent public transport system when it's actually running and not on strike, and so long as you don't mind les gamins going through the stuff they're pickpocketed off other travelers in the seats next to you (this literally happened last time I was in Paris going to the Bois de Vincennes, along with them riding a bike up and down the aisle. It was, at least, a memorable trip).

Maybe Frenchies should start working, I dunno, more than 35 hours a week for starters.

Why? Isn't that something to strive for? Or do you think the American way is what we should aim for?

• Like 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Maybe Frenchies should start working, I dunno, more than 35 hours a week for starters.

Why? Isn't that something to strive for? Or do you think the American way is what we should aim for?

Agreed, more hours doesn't mean more productivity

...but on the flip side I used to work for a French company and they treated us non Euros like crap so **** those guys! Pardon my French

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

...but on the flip side I used to work for a French company and they treated us non Euros like crap so **** those guys! Pardon my French

That is then better than most French companies as they usually don't like anybody who isn't French especially if they don't speak French.

That is then better than most French companies as they usually don't like anybody who isn't French especially if they don't speak French.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/28/emmanuel-macron-keeps-france-climate-change-tax-de/

There have been several agreements to make France more " ozone friendly " and Macron is simply following what was agreed to in the Paris accord. These violent protests cannot be acceptable and it seems incongruous that we are fine with this violence because.....French companies like there staff to speak French. All the private sector companies I have ever worked for have an English language policy. If you dont speak English you wont get employed, thats how it is 

France needs to address this anarchy or agreements like the Paris accord become moot, to quote Macron from the link 

“You cannot be pro-environment on Monday and then when Tuesday comes be against rising fuel prices,”

Don't pardon your French. The French deserve all the trash they get. No mercy for the French. Be they from France, Kanada, or Quebec.

volo, dont be ungrateful....think of all the good the French have done for Canada. You should be condemning this break down of the rule of law and order in France 

John Milton 

Meanwhile in Graceland:

The IDF launched "Operation Northern Shield" overnight Monday to expose and destroy cross-border attack tunnels built by Hezbollah, a proxy of Iran, along the Lebanon border and into northern Israel, the military announced early Tuesday morning.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/IDF-launches-Operation-Northern-Shield-to-destroy-Hezbollah-terror-tunnels-573459

Let's get this sandlot apocalypse on already. I was visiting my pops in Pisa (half way from Milwaukee to Basra) last time they tried to immanentize eschaton and failed.

1524660139759.jpg