Greetings fellows of Pillars of Eternity.

This is my first post so I hope all of you will be kind to me!

I am posting today because I am stumped. I am stuck and cannot figure out what to do. So I need your help.

Guys, I have successfully battled and killed off all the Eyeless I have encountered on my way to the cave in Cayron's Scar. All of them were challenging and took a long time to kill but I was able to do so even when a couple of my party members were killed in the process. But the ones at the cave entrance are impossible to kill!

I have tried everything I could think of over several hours including party compositions as well as different battle strategies.

All my party members are either at level 12 or 13. I also have re-forged Abydon’s hammer (equipped at all times), the Burning pitch Trebuchet talent, the Beregan’s Battle Horn figurine, and the Heavy Cannon Blast talent.

Nothing is working. I am missing something here? Is there a trick I haven’t figured out? Is it a glitch? What is going on? It is quite annoying and disheartening. I am all for a challenge but this is ridiculous! Any help is welcome. Any.

InsaneCommander thanks for replying. I am sorry, I am not one to be familiar with gaming terminology. I am playing normal difficulty level and haven't tried returning at a higher level. I suppose I could go do other things and return when I have gained a level or two.

Oh, sorry. PotD stands for Path of the Damned, the highest difficult (although you can also play PotD with Trial of Iron and it will be even more difficult).

If you are playing on normal, it may be that you are not good enough to defeat them at the level you are now. Nothing to worry about, some battles can look impossible if you are not familiar with the mechanics and specially if you are at a lower level. Coming back later when your spellcasters have a new level of abilities will certainly make it easier. And maybe you'll have more items too.

But it could also be a bug. Did you check the Eyeless' life during the battle? Are they getting hurt? Maybe you are close to defeating them.

If they are, try to use abilities and attacks that target their weakest defense to cause more damage more frequently. They are immune to fire, in case you didn't notice.

Edit: what about your party? Are you eating consumables before the fight? +2/+3 in each stat can make a considerable difference. And there is also the +3 armor from the drink sold in Stalwart's tavern.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

These are good suggestions which I will gladly put into action. What food and beverages work best and how much should they consume? As for the Eyeless damage-taking, yes they are taking damage! Just like all the previous ones I have killed their levels drop and, like all the previous ones, they heal themselves. I have a feeling these two at the cave entrance are tougher than the others I have encountered. I am targeting their weaknesses as you have correctly suggested. I have noticed two things though: their fire beam seems to last a lot longer than the other ones and the damage from their hammer and spears are greater too.

The stonepiercer ones are different and can heal themselves. Check the wiki:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Eyeless

Make an attempt with all possible bonus:

- +2/+3 on each attribute from food. You can find most of them in the food section of the crafting menu. For resolve you'll need dragon's eggs or meat. Buy if you don't have. It's expensive, but money shouldn't be a problem if you reached this part of the game.

- For perception you'll need the food sold in the Stalwart's tavern. Get the drink there for +3 armor too.

- Rest in the Stalwart's tavern (+2 Mig, +2 Con, +2 Dex) or in Dyrford (+2 Mig, +2 Con, +2 Int).

- Get the "massage" bonus in the Salty Mast for your protagonist.

- Check your potions and scrolls to see if there is anything you could use. Including those scrolls that increase Survival and Lore skills. They may allow your party members to use better scrolls for a time. And with higher survival they will heal more with Second Wind.

- Use a scroll of defense in the beginning of the battle and recast if necessary.

- Spells that lower defense are a good option too, like Nature's Mark and Stag's Horn.

- Increase your accuracy with Scroll of Valor or potions of Eldritch Aim.

- Buy scrolls of Hail storm in Stalwart (the Orlan cart vendor near the mines)

I think they are vulnerable to prone so have any fighters use knockback and equip someone with the belt that gives this ability, if you have it. The spells Slicken and Calling the World's Maw might help with that too. You can try the Paralysis scroll too.

Use figurines/summons, but not all at the same time, and try to keep your party far from the Eyeless. Concentrate in one first and then the other, to prevent them from healing.

Which companions are with you?

sign.jpg

Ok. That is a lot of info. I will definitely use a lot of what you have suggested in your posts this week end.

You asked me which companions are with me; I tried dozens of combinations but here are the companions with high levels that I have available to me:

there is me (a tank level 13)

Maneha (barbarian level 13)

Hiravias (druid level 12)

Eder (fighter level 12)

Niala (barbarian level 12; different config than Maneha)

Gander (ranger level 12)

Hula (druid level 11)

Grieving mother (cipher level 12)

Durance (priest level 13)

Zahua (monk level 12)

Devil of Caroc (rogue level 13)

Aloth (wizard level 13)

I have 4 other companions but they are level 8. I can level them up to 11 if necessary. Also I had a chanter but he, unfortunately, fell to his death while we were restarting the cannons at the forge towers.

I just wanted to inform how it went: like a hot knife in butter. I ate, rested in Stalwart, used both defense and paralysis scrolls once for each Eyeless, took advantage of knockdown abilities, and had one armed with St. Ydwen's Redeemer and another with Abydon's hammer. It took only 8 seconds to wipe out each Eyeless.

All this thanks to suggestions from InsaneComander. Thank you.

• Like 1

I knew I was forgetting something... the two soulbound weapons that can destroy them quickly. Just a minor detail... :facepalm::biggrin:

Now you can see how different a combat will be when you use all of the resources. My third playthrough, in PotD, was easier than my first, on normal.

If you play again, enjoy going to a higher difficult and applying more complex strategies.

Edit: I imagine you ate after resting? Otherwise you'll lose its effects. In fact, you should eat just before the battle.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg