I think everyone can agree that tuning down xp gains would help significantly. In my current playthrough, I'm already at level 16 and I haven't done BOW or SSS yet. Neither am I a completionist...

I'm unfamiliar as to how much work that would be, but if mods can do it (Deadly Deadfire is a new must for me), I suspect the devs can do it too.

That being said, waiting until all the DLCs are released is a sensible approach.

Edited by dukeisaac
  • Like 2

They kinda have to keep in mind less completionist people too, though, people who might a more limited timeframe that should still enjoy the progression system. They're not making the game entirely for the completionist crowd. So hitting the cap around %65-70 of ALL content without the dlc seems pretty fair tbh.

Not necessarily everyone. I like XP the way it is, for example.

If this can be modded (and it can rather easily), why wait for Obsidian to do it?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Not necessarily everyone. I like XP the way it is, for example.

If this can be modded (and it can rather easily), why wait for Obsidian to do it?

One possible answer: because a lot can go wrong, and has, when modding a game, and quite a lot of people are wary of it because of that.

They kinda have to keep in mind less completionist people too, though, people who might a more limited timeframe that should still enjoy the progression system. They're not making the game entirely for the completionist crowd. So hitting the cap around %65-70 of ALL content without the dlc seems pretty fair tbh.

People who aren't completionist probably don't care one way or another about hitting the level cap.

Though if Obsidian does slow XP gain, the non-completionist people will have a more annoying time due to getting less levels. For that reason I think the best solution would be to cap power levels but raise XP levels to, say, 25. That would give multiclass characters enough levels to hit power level 9 by the time they hit the very last level, still keeping them behind single class characters but letting them advance all the way- assuming there are 25 levels' worth of experience in the game+DLCs. You need so much more XP per level that there may well not be!

Maybe what I'll do is raise the level cap myself and take a character through everything to see how high a completionist can get

If you avoid the main quest, which gives a lot of xp, it will take longer to reach the cap.

The players can also avoid hitting the cap by not playing the game at all.

The only way to win, is to deny it battle. :)

Oh great. Are spoiler-warnings no longer in fashion.

*Stops watching War Games*

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

If you avoid the main quest, which gives a lot of xp, it will take longer to reach the cap.

The players can also avoid hitting the cap by not playing the game at all.

The only way to win, is to deny it battle. :)

Oh great. Are spoiler-warnings no longer in fashion.

*Stops watching War Games*

Lul i havent actually beat the game, so if there is some meaning in what i said its accidental and also i am quoting Stargate SG1 here which i get is derived from other sources like war games. this thread is getting so nerdy im a little ashamed LOL.

Edited by draego

i was always told on other games that the game doesn't open up until you finish leveling

Do those people come from MMOGs or something? I noticed there's a mad rush through everything just to get to the maxlevel and that sweet, sweet ~@endgame@~. Which in MMOs is doing the same thing again and again and again. :shrugz: Me, I like leveling up. Countering the limitations with those few options you currently have is fun, keeping your soft useless low level wizard alive is fun. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Heh, I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum. Get me some of that sweet, sweet endgame so I can enjoy the nuclear power in my hands :D

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I’ve seen this a lot lately. I personally will probably cheat lvl 16-18 at the start of the game and mod the exp so i get max level with 65% or so of all available exp

If is really a problem for a lot of people maybe they could just add a Experience Multiplier Bar at the start of the game. From max level requiring 50% of the main quest to 100% of absolutely everything. With some values with a description of what kind player will probably want to choose each.

Edited by esyvjrt

Funny. In build subforum ppl complain that most of the builds are around 20 level. Endgame. Here ppl complain that when they hit 20 there is still half of the game ahead ))

Imho it is good that there still is so e of content left for your max level character. You can fully enjoy your class and build.

• Like 2

Seriously though, if XP gain is easily moded by the community, it should be easy for the devs to add a two tier option in the game.

At least we cn agree that there are people who'd like their progression slowed down a bit

Maybe the intention was to make a very easy game. I mean, there is essentially no challenge in battles, unless you're playing on PotD, and you gain XP very fast, so it sounds like they wanted to make things easy for players. I don't understand why, but that's what it seems like. Just in case you came across any trouble, you were also given a cheat button, in the form of Empower.

With PoE1, the biggest problem (for me) was the ease with which I gained XP and the swiftness with which I reached level cap. I am almost certain Obsidian received feedback about this, because it was so obvious. But they still designed Deadfire the way it is.