Which, I would argue, is about 10% too early. Which is a substantial problem.

Even without touching any of the DLCs, it's easy to hit the cap long before completing the main story. I see no reason why they wouldn't increase the cap to 25 or 30 (there's no need for new spell/ability tiers; just let us gain HP, defense, accuracy, skill points etc.).

• Like 1

Which, I would argue, is about 10% too early. Which is a substantial problem.

Subjective. It's about right for me.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

You don't hit level 20 with anything like 50% of the game left

If you don't use XP reduction mods and complete all of the bounties, you'll hit the cap at about 65-70% of the game.

That was before the release of the three expanaions. Yeah i agree with you. In my last playthrough (when only the beast of Winter was released) i hit max level at about 65% of the game completed. So after two more expansions you will hit max level at around 50%.

Again people wonder why the game isnt selling well when there are stupid game implementations like this

Are they going to raise the level cap and introduce another power level ?

Hitting the max level 20 with 50% of the game left is just stupid game making implementation that beggars any kind of realistic belief.

Just like previews two DLC it is a smaller addition, and it is unlikely they will be adding something as big as extra levels. 

When asked about the extra XP on one of the streams one of the devs said they might look at readjusting XP gain once all DLCs are released. Whenever it will happen remains to be seen. 

Are they going to raise the level cap and introduce another power level ?

Hitting the max level 20 with 50% of the game left is just stupid game making implementation that beggars any kind of realistic belief.

Just like previews two DLC it is a smaller addition, and it is unlikely they will be adding something as big as extra levels. 

When asked about the extra XP on one of the streams one of the devs said they might look at readjusting XP gain once all DLCs are released. Whenever it will happen remains to be seen. 

Just the sheer fact that Obsidian have to " Have a meeting" and " Discuss the issue" with people hitting the level cap at 50% of the game completed says alot. It shoud never have gotten to this ridiculous situation in the first place.

People play these games mainly for power progression and to gain levels. 

Obsidian probably assumed most people play these games to experience the content. If they'd known it was all about numbers going up they could have saved themselves a lot of money and just had infinitely-respawning mobs on copy-paste maps with a level cap of 99

I was about to say something similar.  While it is certainly a staple in the RPG genre, I'd agree it is an oversimplification to say they are played "mainly for power progression and to gain levels".  Deadfire players fall everywhere along the spectrum of "Story Time" through "Path of the Damned min/maxer"

I'm not sure the XP criticism would be any better if a wizard had to complete every last side quest, and then, and only then, as they approach the final encounter do they suddenly learn LVL9_ULTIMATE_DEATH_SPELL.

• Like 2

NVM.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

guys it's both.

Of course we play it for the experience, but there's no sensible argument that can convince me that XP distribution doesn't need an overhaul

Most things are more both-and than either-or. And I fully agree: I play for the story to such an extent that I essentially never replay any games (the only exception: Baldur's Gate II), but XP distribution is important. It's not right in PoE, nor is it right in Deadfire.

I'd like more levels, but I've played through two DLCs at max level already and didn't really miss the xp trickle. It's one of those things that wouldn't be difficult to implement unless they add more power levels, but just the superficial "23xp. You are now level 21!" stuff is literally just a matter of changing some numbers in the game files.

E: by which I mean, of course, you can implement it yourself. There's a mod which does it, but it also beefs enemy stats. Of course, if you want more levels, you'll also want tougher enemies...

Edited by house2fly
  • Like 1

Just the sheer fact that Obsidian have to " Have a meeting" and " Discuss the issue" with people hitting the level cap at 50% of the game completed says alot. It shoud never have gotten to this ridiculous situation in the first place.

People play these games mainly for power progression and to gain levels.

While you might play those games mostly for power progression, don't make a mistake thinking that your preferences are everyone's preferances. In addition you blowing the issue way off proportions, as it takes far far more than 50% of content to reach level cap, but I do think it is far too easy to outlevel available content.

Raising level cap would be a significant investment, unless they wpuld create something really crappy after level 20 just to keep treadmill going. As they chose to go for smaller DLCs they went for content over changes to core mechanics.

The cool thing with bigger expansions is that both can be touched. But for 10 dollars that's a fine value.

• Like 1