I know regular bows (Hunting and War) and firearms have their nice roles. What could the Arbalest and crossbow fulfill as a weapon in builds?

Well, if you've got a way to remove & prevent concentration (Chanter, Druid), and you can reduce the reload time (Streetfighter rogue, Ranger to a lesser extent), I suppose you could interrupt people constantly.

Course, pierce-immune enemies won't be damaged by those weapons.

EDIT: I've toyed with the idea of combining a Chanter w/ either a Streetfighter rogue or a Ranger using Crossbows and/or Arbalests. As a joke/reference, I was thinking of naming the character "Kanye West".

Edited by hansvedic
  • Like 2

I have found the Essence Interrupter bow that you can buy in Port Maje to be a really awesome bow. It is expensive but with some enchantments is a one shot kill weapon. It will even make kills your allies. And wait and see what it can do when made mythic. :)

• Like 1

The Arbalest modal is nice.  I like to make that the alternate weapon for a primarily-melee character, and use it as a combat initiator. 

• Like 1

A Black Jacket/Ranger with Crossbow as his basic weapon and three arbalests as interrupt-fallbacks is a good char to ensure that enemies can't get off a spell/ability.

If you see an enemy starting to do dangerous stuff just switch to a loaded arbalest (with modal on) and shoot the guy. Since reloading can be cancelled the arbalest will be ready to fire immediately after switching.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Huh. Neat. I'll have to try a quick-switch Black Jacket build sometime, I guess you'd be able to get 0s Switching Recovery.

Now we just need more crossbows and arbalests. :p

• Like 1

I have found the Essence Interrupter bow that you can buy in Port Maje to be a really awesome bow. It is expensive but with some enchantments is a one shot kill weapon. It will even make kills your allies. And wait and see what it can do when made mythic. :)

While the Essence Interrupter is indeed pretty darn awesome, I think that fact is somewhat off-topic, given that the topic is about using Crossbows and Arbalests.

EDIT: Still, it can be a good backup weapon for pierce-immune enemies on a crossbow or arbalest build.

Edited by hansvedic
  • Like 1

Thanks, everybody! A lot of great ideas with quick switching, back-up weapon, ect. I really would like to see more crossbows and arbalests before/during/after the last DLC (even if it's one more each). The one that scales with Arcana doesn't work for me well and Fleetbreaker comes too late to enjoy for me.

• Like 1

Even pierce immune enemies get interrupted or knocked to the ground. Two quick arbalest users can pin down bosses pretty much the entire time. 

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png