New Playthrough - Need help from Community

Guest Matt Sheets

Hey!

I'm going to be starting a new Pillars 2 playthrough soon and I need some good build ideas for my main character.

For those of you who don't know/remember me, I was QA Lead on Pillars 1, switched to Systems Design for White March and Pillars 2.

I left Obsidian back in July and moved to LA.  Watching the Obsidian Extra Life Stream made me homesick, so I'm gonna put some time into Pillars 2 and play through the DLCs.

Hopefully some people can post up some of their favorite builds and give me an idea on what to make.  If people are interested, I'll try to post up about how my playthrough is progressing.

I do love the Soulbound weapons (not only because they were primarily designed by me...) so extra points if they influence your build.

• Like 11

Deadfire changes the rhythm of the game from the first PoE. Combat will be longer, enemies--bullet spongier, and so I think you should consider classes which generate infinite resources. Chanters and Cypher in most combinations do rather well, and this time talk about 'meta' builds has appeared, as well. Paladin seems to be quite a popular choice in multiclassing.

That said, I rather like Rangers(Ghost Hearts in particular) in any combination, because with their higher Accuracy they can proc crit effects from weapons. A Ghost Hearth/Cypher can be a very adaptive class, albeit one which will need more *gasp* micromanagement. But you will be able to lock down bosses as well as multiple enemies. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Welcome back, Matt.

(Cue Silvio Dante imitating Michael Corleone: "Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in")

In addition to  the responses you get here, there is a list of builds in the other sub-forum that people have tried out and posted about. There is a pinned post with the full list.

p.s. Single class monk. Weapons, we don't need no steeeenking weapons.

Edited by Yonjuro

I wouldn't suggest googling anything about it (cause it'll spoil it) but the soulbound Modwyr is probably up your alley. 

Weapon/Armor enchanting has changed dramatically. You no longer have generic lash upgrades, etc. Instead all the unique Weapons/Armor have their own enchantment trees with unique abilities. You can also no longer just enchant any piece of gear- it has to be unique. This, for me, made soulbound weapons kinda "meh".

Pukestabber, Essence Interrupter, and Sun & Moon I found all to be mechanically interesting weapons. 

As for builds- any variety of Streetfighter with Blunderbuss + Powder Burns is fun. I'm partial to a Mindstalker (Assassin/Soulblade) though. 

Edited by Prince of Lies
  • Like 1

Guest Matt Sheets

I wouldn't suggest googling anything about it (cause it'll spoil it) but the soulbound Modwyr is probably up your alley.

Don't think I can spoil myself, seeing that I designed Modwyr and implemented it. Kate's writing is amazing, but implementing that damn sword was a chore.

It was worth it though.

• Like 6

Don't think I can spoil myself, seeing that I designed Modwyr and implemented it. Kate's writing is amazing, but implementing that damn sword was a chore.

It was worth it though.

Heh, woops, brainfart. I didn't read the "White March and Pillars 2" part of your post.

Modwyr was really well designed though, so kudos! :)

Recently made a Warden (Fury/Devoted) with Lord Darryn's Voulge and Deltro's Cage. It was pretty fun. 

Guest Matt Sheets

It was worth it though.

Heh, woops, brainfart. I didn't read the "White March and Pillars 2" part of your post.

Modwyr was really well designed though, so kudos! :)

Recently made a Warden (Fury/Devoted) with Lord Darryn's Voulge and Deltro's Cage. It was pretty fun. 

That does sound like fun.  I do love that Voulge.

Deltro's Cage was a fun armor to design.  It went through a bunch of iterations and I'm happy where it ended up at.

• Like 2