A Special Announcement From Obsidian

Mikey Dowling

It seems that recent MS position is "PC Windows is just another XBOX" which is overstatment, but as long as there are games on PC i do not complain.

MS recently bought a few studios, and when it comes to general action, motosport, shooter, zombies, casuals, they are already covered. Have some empty spots in strategy and crpg.

Cant tell how greedy is MS model, it seems that problem with Recore or Sea of Thieves was that games was just bad(buggy) and boring.

I dont mind some light action elements (Witcher style), however more tactical aproach is nice variety. If OE and Inexlie could alter this two subtypes, that is good.

PoE3, Newer Vegas, Vampire Requirem, Freespace  crpg, Beta Protocol... that are some decent ideas for games, even if not all of them are isometric tactical.

The reign of Lord Gaben will end one day, and new kingdoms will emerge to seek their glory, as long as they do not force some drm, client or other intrusive processes it is something to get used to.

Being able to play either on xbox or pc with one key that would be something.

Edited by evilcat

Unfortunately, even though what you said is very true, problem with that is that most members here own (or game on) just their pc, they're going to read your comment and their closed-minds will automatically go to the extreme of "Why do we have to buy a new console to play these games?" Doesn't mane sense, does it?

And they shouldn't. They should be a bit more adult than this and say "I'm excited for Obsidian, if they continue to make great games that only release on Xbox, I'll just need to save my money and go out and buy the new Xbox. I can't wait to see what they do with all of MS's funding!"

Unfortunately, forums tend to use reverse logic, that's typically why the most logical comments aren't favorited among members. Gotta love the irony on the Obsidian forums though "We are Obsidian fans" and then when their greatest fear comes to pass, they say "We won't play anything by Obsidian other than Crpg's, and they have to be on PC and not on Windows Store". They should just be happy if that Obsidian's doors are open at all and if the game comes to PC and it's through Windows store, that would be a bonus. Not sure where all the false sense of entitlement came from, perhaps when people funded Pillars 1 and 2 they thought they now own a part of Obsidian, then again it wouldn't be a toxic fanbase without some entitlement floating around.

You are correct, it is very unfortunate. 

Are you serious? For real, though. Are. you. serious.

I could follow most of your logic and positivity, but this is just so so wrong.

Why on earth should we be happy *if, and I specifically preface it by saying IF* they would release games that are exclusive to Xbox from now on and just go ahead and buy a stupid console? Why would anybody do that? The people that don't own an Xbox don't own it for a reason and that reason probably is that they don't want a stupid console (disregarding the fact that I'm not gonna buy 1 to play 1-2 games). That's such an ignorant thing to say, I can't believe you could mean that.

Edit: Also, why would I spend hundreds of euros on a console and a TV when I have my device to play games already?

Edited by Armanz
  • Like 5

Dank Memes for Dank Spores.

MS recently bought a few studios, and when it comes to general action, motosport, shooter, zombies, casuals, they are already covered. Have some empty spots in strategy and crpg.

Cant tell how greedy is MS model, it seems that problem with Recore or Sea of Thieves was that games was just bad(buggy) and boring.

I wasn't aware that Microsoft developed or oversought the development of Sea Of Thieves. Also thought it was an Early Access release...

I would look into games with talented devs that Microsoft has funded and published within the last couple years, I'll name a few:

Quantum Break, Dust: An Elysian Tale, Forza Horizon franchise, Ori And The Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive, State Of Decay, TitanFall, Halo Wars 2 and more. Would hardly call any of those lackluster, boring and casual but then any of those terms could probably be slipped into personal tastes anyways. Anyways, those titlesare enough to show that Microsoft isn't cloee to being EA or the devil corporation that members here have made them out to be. I don't think members on the forum have given a valid reason to why we should judge or condemn Obsidian's choice just yet.

The reign of Lord Gaben will end one day, and new kingdoms will emerge to seek their glory, as long as they do not force some drm, client or other intrusive processes it is something to get used to.

Being able to play either on xbox or pc with one key that would be something.

Lord Gaben end?

"Oh yes, you'll see. He'll crow, he'll fight, he'll fly and then he'll die."

https://youtu.be/Y-BRyNEaUMo

Gabe will pass away and Steam will love on, GoG and Origin will end far before Steam/Valve ever does though.

Are you serious? For real, though. Are. you. serious.

I could follow most of your logic and positivity, but this is just so so wrong.

Why on earth should we be happy *if, and I specifically preface it by saying IF* they would release games that are exclusive to Xbox from now on and just go ahead and buy a stupid console? Why would anybody do that? The people that don't own an Xbox don't own it for a reason and that reason probably is that they don't want a stupid console (disregarding the fact that I'm not gonna buy 1 to play 1-2 games). That's such an ignorant thing to say, I can't believe you could mean that.

It's not ignorant. I can say such a thing because I used to be the petty pc eletist who didn't want to budge. I can also say such a thing because there are many consumers who will spend $300-400.00 on a console just to play one franchise.

If members here didn't have a reason to own an Xbox, maybe they will now. If they are true fans of Obsidian's rpg, they will see reason in this. They may not now - and that's understandable as skeptics are the type of people whom need to see tangible evidence (and they will) before believing.

Now, as I am to you, a PC gamer first and foremost and also I am a consumer who backed Deadfire on PC, I also own a PS4 and an Xbox and let me tell you, those who do not own, are missing out on some great TITTLES. It's a shame for people to claim that everything on console is lesser than their experience on PC, now wouldn't you agree that is far more ignorant? Especially if Obsidian makes far better games as Xbox exclusives than Pillars or Tyranny were, wouldn't that be worth the trade off? If Obsidian releases Xbox exclusives this gen, then people can buy a used Xbox One for less than a hundred dollars this holiday, it's so cheap lol Not sure why people would blame Microsoft for making Obsidian go exclusive to Xbox consoles, just because they don't want to purchase a console? Windows Store isn't working and they aim to make more Xbox fans for next run this coming gen. Everybody has a chance to win here but if they choose not to support Obsidian's new lifestyle, they shouldn't be snarky or salty about it. Do you agree?

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

PC elitist, what are you even talking about? What is that even supposed to mean?

I don't have the money to spend on that stuff (especially if it doesn't benefit me on the grand scale of things) but I wouldn't, even if I had it, simply because there's no big enough reason to.

I am aware that some people buy a console to play one franchise and that's fine with me. Doesn't mean that I will do that, though. I am not a PC elitist (again, wtf?) but I can play basically anything I want on PC. I'm not gonna change things up because there's 1 or 2 games that are unavailable to me. I can't play AoE Definitive Edition because I don't have Win 10 for example. I'm not gonna upgrade to Win 10 to be able to play that 1 game because I don't like Win 10 (like consoles) and I don't want Win 10 (like consoles) because I like Win 7 and I like my PC, even though it's free (Win 10 that is; or used to? I don't know it is right now). I also never claimed that everything on console is lesser or some stuff, I'm just pissed at people like you saying: just buy the ****ing console, be happy, what's the big deal. Because why would I? It's a huge investment for me to purchase the console & the TV to do so and it gives me next to no benefit, despite my love for Obsidian.

Edited by Armanz
  • Like 5

Dank Memes for Dank Spores.

PC elitist, what are you even talking about? What is that even supposed to mean?

I don't have the money to spend on that stuff (especially if it doesn't benefit me on the grand scale of things) but I wouldn't, even if I had it, simply because there's no big enough reason to.

I am aware that some people buy a console to play one franchise and that's fine with me. Doesn't mean that I will do that, though. I am not a PC elitist (again, wtf?) but I can play basically anything I want on PC. I'm not gonna change things up because there's 1 or 2 games that are unavailable to me. I can't play AoE Definitive Edition because I don't have Win 10 for example. I'm not gonna upgrade to Win 10 to be able to play that 1 game because I don't like Win 10 (like consoles) and I don't want Win 10 (like consoles) because I like Win 7 and I like my PC, even though it's free (Win 10 that is; or used to? I don't know it is right now). I also never claimed that everything on console is lesser or some stuff, I'm just pissed at people like you saying: just buy the ****ing console, be happy, what's the big deal. Because why would I? It's a huge investment for me to purchase the console & the TV to do so and it gives me next to no benefit, despite my love for Obsidian.

I wasn't meaning to call you or catagorize you as a PC eletist lol I was saying that I used to be PC Eletist (someone who will not touch a console because of hardware limitations). The type of person who refers to gamers who play on consoles as Peasants in the kingdom of gaming. Now I game on all platforms - well except Switch really. Xbox and Playstation changed my views as a gamer. I was lucky, they said that old dogs can't learn new tricks teehee!

If Obsidian developed only for Xbox from now now, I will pray that you can find a console at a comfortable price point or that someone here would bless you with one. It makes me extremely sad to hear ehen others cannot afford or the like. Last resort - Emulation! While emulation for 3D games is never really 100% accurate but still playable, mostly. I think one of the members here said they called the Xbox the DOS-Box for that reason :p

Fiend, may Obsidian always be in your favor.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I have a PS4. It currently gathers dust and I plan on giving it to my nieces who will get more out of it. I prefer to play on PC for my own reasons and there just isn't enough exclusives to warrant buying consoles and I just don't like playing on them. Plenty of games out there anyway to play that I don't need to get consoles for more games, just don't have the time to play the ones I got.

Dunno why this is even being discussed though as they won't be Xbox exclusive anyway as MS still releases the games on PC as well.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I have a PS4. It currently gathers dust.

Sounds odd that you'd buy a PS4 to collect dust but uhh... okay. I only bought mine for exclusives but use mine for youtube and streaming apps sometimes beaming and as a form of storage. Meh.

Dunno why this is even being discussed though as they won't be Xbox exclusive anyway as MS still releases the games on PC as well.

Perhaps you didn't read the comments in which some members' paranoia is convincing them that Obsidian will be developing Xbox exclusive titles. Microsoft said in the announcement that they wanted they make more loyal Xbox fans - probably due to them losing to PS4 and Nintendo Switch. I highly doubt anything Obsidian develops won't be on Steam if not PC at all. More than enough reason to discuss it - especially since we can't stop members from assuming the worst anyways, as was already demonstrated.

I wasn't meaning to call you or catagorize you as a PC eletist lol I was saying that I used to be PC Eletist (someone who will not touch a console because of hardware limitations). The type of person who refers to gamers who play on consoles as Peasants in the kingdom of gaming. Now I game on all platforms - well except Switch really. Xbox and Playstation changed my views as a gamer. I was lucky, they said that old dogs can't learn new tricks teehee!

If Obsidian developed only for Xbox from now now, I will pray that you can find a console at a comfortable price point or that someone here would bless you with one. It makes me extremely sad to hear ehen others cannot afford or the like. Last resort - Emulation! While emulation for 3D games is never really 100% accurate but still playable, mostly. I think one of the members here said they called the Xbox the DOS-Box for that reason :p

Fiend, may Obsidian always be in your favor.

lol, 'I didnt liked console and now I like them and so should you'

I am done

• Like 5

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Lol, 'I didnt liked console and now I like them and so should you'

I am done

Saying "IF Obsidian develops exclusively on consoles, I hope someone gives you on a console to play their games at least" isn't the same as saying "I like consoles now so you should too"

Not even lol :lol:

Edited by SonicMage117

I am done

Saying "IF Obsidian develops exclusively on consoles, I hope someone gives you on a console to play their games at least" isn't the same as saying "I like consoles now so you should too"

no, its exactly what you are saying. Saying 'I will give it to you for free so you can like it' does not change it. Flash news, some poeple does not like some things even if they are for free

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am done

no, its exactly what you are saying. Saying 'I will give it to you for free so you can like it' does not change it. Flash news, some poeple does not like some things even if they are for free

No, it's not what I was saying, again not even close. Just because you interpreted what I said as such or keep trying to convince me it was, doesn't make it true. Now what line exactly of what I wrote makes you think that? Or was it the comment before where I said "People shouldn't blame Microsoft if Obsidian does develop exclusives for Xbox and people don't want to buy the console"? Lol

And yes, I agree that sometimes people don't like free things but I'd highly doubt that someone would say no to a free console if they thought an Obsidian game looked interesting? That is considering that they are an Obsidian fan ib the first place, of course. Point being that you don't have to like the console you just have to like the GAME on the console.

I suppose with that making sense, you'll still try to convince me of what I meant, even though I wrote it myself :)

Edited by SonicMage117

he is just dense :)

• Like 1

At this point I firmly believe you to be a troll.

Couldn't care less to be honest lol I am just not naive enough to believe that someone would reject a given free console when you could could play at least one game you're interested in and then sell it. It's literally saying no to free money. Do you disagree?

he is just dense :)

And yet no dense than the rest of members here who backed an Obsidian game :) Edited by SonicMage117

Remember kids. Feeding the troll only makes it bigger. Ignore function is there for a reason.

Indeed but I could never bring myself to block someone, I think it's a petty move since I can find a common ground with them somewhere (it's why I haven't blocked anyone), it's just another disagreement on this forum, nothing really new.

You guys/gals have to understand that that persona was specifically crafted to get a negative response. "Facts / truth / always right" leaves no room for discussion or exchange of opinions, its there to needle you. So I ask everyone to please address the posts and the poster will sort itself out.

• Like 5

Unfortunately, even though what you said is very true, problem with that is that most members here own (or game on) just their pc, they're going to read your comment and their closed-minds will automatically go to the extreme of "Why do we have to buy a new console to play these games?" Doesn't mane sense, does it?

In all seriousness though, at this point, Obsidian is probably happy about working on consoles. Look at the Retrospect video where Josh Sawyer said Pillars would never be on console because they couldn't stand consoles, now we all know they're gonna love Xbox because the fixed hardware is always better for developers. Add to that, the fact that the Xbox One X has a bit of power to it so it's not like it's a loss of tech going from pc to it. As we approach the new gen of consoles, it's looking even bleaker for pc users, this year's goty awards (from well, everyone) is more console exclusives and console oriented games than anything because this year cobsole gaming proved that hype and broad audience/sales doesn't make the game have high ratings but the love put into it, the content and story-writing determines the quality. I believe that if Obsidian puts out games like this but with better story-writing than Pillars and Tyranny - more depth, than they can be on the same level of today's top games.

Sorry, but this goes against what the MS execs are saying, though. Again from those interviews I saw, Matt Booty and others were saying their mission is to strengthen the Windows Store, Game Pass, and the porting of XBox games to PC. They understand they have already lost the console battle to PS4 and even Switch, but that they have dominance in the PC market where tens of millions of gamers play their games exclusively or largely on their PC. So it is to this dominance they want to play. When they say "XBox exclusive," they mean XBox exclusive among consoles, not exclusive versus the PC. And btw, Bethesda also recently emphasized they will not be walking away from PC games anytime soon. So PC gaming is here for the long haul and is not going to be "replaced" by consoles. What I see increasingly happening is people plugging their PC into their UHD big-screen TV, whereby their PC becomes a kind of console.

• Like 2

That's actually what I do, my wife bought me an Alienware Alpha 3 years ago, it has an hdmi in/out and optical out. Its my secondry pc but It's also my travel box. It has Windows 8.1 which makes it easier and better for gaming than Windows 7 or Windows 10.

I never thought that PC Gaming was going to replaced, Steam is doing far too well and PC is always will be my main platform. Console exclusives are but a very small portion of the games industry (although they are by far the biggest in sales revenue to each platform) that's good news for all members here. Everyone should be happy of Obsidian's new games become available to Windows Store, I hope they keep their word on it.

The only problem I see with them porting the games to Windows Store in the future though, is that it doesn't seem like it would be a rop prioroty with the new gen swiftly approaching. Microsoft will probably want to get their next Xbox some actual exclusives (games not on PC) , after all it was the lack of that true exclusivity that got them to lose the war in the first place. It would be smart as it would move PS4 owners to Xbox, since most PS4 owners own a gaming PC as well. They should want to push gamers of different platforms to buy their platform, it's only sirvival at this point but if that's not going to be taken seriously then the next console will fail as bad and Obsidian may be lost forever as we know it. That I think is a logical doubt wherein lays need of success, things must change for the definition of sanity is doing the same thing over again and not adapting to your enemy's strategy.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 2