A Special Announcement From Obsidian

Mikey Dowling

. Here's how things can possibly happen:

1.) Obsidian stocks will soar in value early on. More jobs in the company will open.

2.) The corporate culture from the top of Microsoft , over the years, will begin to trickle down on Obsidian.

3.) Obsidian will stop the use of crowdfunding to fund its games.

4.) Obsidian will stop publishing on Steam, GoG and non-Microsoft platforms. Only GFWL in Windows 10 and XBOX One, alienating its PC fanbase.

5.) Intrusive DRM will be present on all Obsidian games for PC. Including Denuvo.

6.) There will be a slow but gradual shift from making quality single player games to "live services" with MMO-style multiplayer elements.

7.) Quality games ready on release will be the lesser focus. The greater focus will be on monetization of the latest Obsidian "live services". Expect the entry of microtransactions, lootboxes, card packs and other recurring revenue streams.

8.) Obsidian will be weaponized against Sony, PS4 and other consoles. It will be the priority, not PC gaming and certainly not time-consuming quality gaming development.

9.)  There will be more political correctness and SJW elements in Obsidian games. There will be less interesting adult and mature stories that have depth.

10.) Future Obsidian releases will be dumbed down to appeal to the masses of XBOX One players who do not have the skill, maturity and attention span of more mature PC and console players. This is done to appeal to a broader audience.

11.) More focus on mobile gaming.

12.) Because Obsidian is now owned by Microsoft, they will no longer be allowed to take development jobs from other publishers (i.e. no more Fallout: NV 2 from Bethesda)

13.) Stake, shareholders and profits will be the priority. Not quality games and certainly not the gamers.

14.) The titles that make the most money will be prioritized, not the titles that fans ask for.

15.) Eventually, Faergus and the geniuses at Obsidian will leave the company because their creative vision will be discarded to accelerate product development. Anybody who doesn't agree with constant revenue streams and milking the fanbase will be let go of.

16.) Obsidian will be developing games that are not its specialization (i.e. not story-driven).

17.) Pillars of Eternity 3 will be released. It will have much less depth, scope, quality, and length than Pillars of Eternity 2, which will be remember by fans as the greatest Pillars of Eternity game, just like Dragon Age Origins was for the Dragon Age series.

18.) Obsidian becomes like Bioware.

19.) Obsidian will either separate from Microsoft or go the way of Ensemble, Fasa Studios and Lionhead.

1) Obsidian't doesn't have stock. More job openings already opened up. After all they are looking at being a 200+ staff company.

3) Kickstarter and FIG have lost their momentum anyways. I seriously doubt they would get anything close to 4 million dollars from either one of those ever again.

7) Quality of games on release? Isn't Obsidian one of the "famous" companies for releasing unfinishes games. Whether or not that reputation is fair, that's the reality. Isn't lootboxes more of a EA and Activision thing though?

8.) MS is looking at both PC gaming and XBOX gaming. Naturally Nintendo, Linux, Mac and Sony are out of the question.

9) As opposed to the very SJW culture already in both Pillars games?

10) Aren't half of their games already quite dumbed down games? If there isn't a viable market for something, games won't be made for such niche market.

11) Microsoft does mobile games? Obsidian already has done one themselves, as the only game they've fully funded by themselves.

12) Bethesda has said that they would never again hand out Fallout to an another developer. Fast fact: Obsidian has never worked with the same publisher more once (I don't count Paradox because PoE was half KS game). How many publishers are there left to work with?

14) How does this differ from the current situation?

15) Yes, Feargus will eventually leave. If Avellone's raging is even anywhere close to being truth. Is that a bad thing? It would depend on the replacement. New companies will be formed and new games will be made, that's the gaming business.

17) Seeing how Deadfire sold, that would have been the reality without MS. Now there's actually a slim chance of getting Pillars of Eternity 3.

18) Somehow I doubt that Microsoft would open Obsidian Entertainment studios in multiple locations.

19) The studio would not have lasted forever in any case. If the owners are actively looking to sell, they are quite ready for retirement sometime soon.

Edited by Flouride
  • Like 2

Hate the living, love the dead.

What are you talking about? If someone makes burgers I like and go there to eat suddenly switch to vegan stuff I should just blindly follow? What is this corporate slavery mentality?? Noone going to  leave Obs if they keep producing cRPGs as we all love, if they start working on XBox exclusives and sell stuff through Windows Store than I am sorry but I can vote with my wallet

That's the thing. You don't know what kind of games Obsidian will make in the future. You are presuming and making assumptions.

If WIndows Store actually gets better, is it really a bad option for Steam? Should Valve have the whole PC marketplace for themselves?

1. Maybe because we have seen it mutliple times? Maybe bacause Microsoft actuallt tells us they want them to focus on XBox exclusives? OR maybe because I have been in their boots?

2. I don't care about closed environmets, I don't buy Apple products for same reason, speak what you want about Steam, I understand why people dont like it, but in the end its open platform for everyone who wish to participate. More power to GoG I say but Steam is still reasonable alternative

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Should Valve have the whole PC marketplace for themselves?

As far as clients go, it would be desireable for every game to be available in one place.

GOG would be the best choice, being DRM free, but... it is only an annoyance having to juggle between multiple clients. There’s too many already.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Very sad news for me as a Linux gamer. If there will be PC CRPG games from Obsidian in the future, they will be of course Windows 10/Xbox exclusive. And Windows 10 has always been and will ever be a no-go for me. I will never betray my beliefs and values just to play a game that is exclusive on that OS.

I not only loved Obsidian for their superb games, but also for the multi platform releases. I fear, this is now history, because MS for sure won't tolerate Linux releases on Steam (thank you Steam for your efforts you take for the Linux gaming) or even DRM free on GoG.

It's so sad to see another studio selling out to such a greedy company.

Goodbye, Obsidian.

• Like 4

It's the reason Netflix is a massive hit; centralised entertainment.

And now everyone and their mother start their own streaming service instead, removing that one pro the service offered.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The cool thing about gog is that you can download from bowser and do not use any client anymore for months of playing. Which is great for SP game.

Not much experience with MS shop.

I am not in favour of  forced launch clients leaching my cpu power. It does not improve playtime. And sometimes they mess with custom shortkeys.

I see the point why other publishers should care about valve wellbeing, not their bussines. And will to keep digital copy fee for themselves is logical.

Edited by evilcat

Noone going to  leave Obs if they keep producing cRPGs as we all love, if they start working on XBox exclusives and sell stuff through Windows Store than I am sorry but I can vote with my wallet

Customers did leave them. POE2 was commercially disappointing. A shame, since I loved it, but we have to face the facts that our niche fandom was barely keeping Obsidian afloat, so while they may be 'losing customers', they've already lost plenty and that's why this business deal is probably necessary.

• Like 1

Noone going to  leave Obs if they keep producing cRPGs as we all love, if they start working on XBox exclusives and sell stuff through Windows Store than I am sorry but I can vote with my wallet

Customers did leave them. POE2 was commercially disappointing. A shame, since I loved it, but we have to face the facts that our niche fandom was barely keeping Obsidian afloat, so while they may be 'losing customers', they've already lost plenty and that's why this business deal is probably necessary.

I am not disputing it. I didn't got second PoE either because I just don't like pirate settings and guns in my RPGs. I still have to play Tyranny but going 180 will sure alienate rest of their audience. Noone know for sure if it will happen but we have some examples where it happend, and we don't have many where it did not. Just look on latest Diablo fiasco.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

And now everyone and their mother start their own streaming service instead, removing that one pro the service offered.

Exactly. But since NetFlix and Valve are really the odd man out in the bunch, the powers that be will have their own stores/streaming services up. It's just not how the real life works, having everything under one roof.

Exactly. But since NetFlix and Valve are really the odd man out in the bunch, the powers that be will have their own stores/streaming services up. It's just not how the real life works, having everything under one roof.

works fine for Netflix and Valve and GoG so far?

I am not disputing it. I didn't got second PoE either because I just don't like pirate settings and guns in my RPGs. I still have to play Tyranny but going 180 will sure alienate rest of their audience. Noone know for sure if it will happen but we have some examples where it happend, and we don't have many where it did not. Just look on latest Diablo fiasco.

Well then, sounds like you already voted with your wallet, which is part of why they are where they are now.

Streaming services require subscriptions. Making an account on a different digital platform doesn't cost anything. I have a steam, gog, origin, humble bundle, uplay, and windows store account and none of those requires that I pay a monthly subscription.

And its a good thing too, because then they'd have an monopoly.  :shrugz:

And its a good thing too, because then they'd have an monopoly.  :shrugz:

And they will always will be if others will not make their alternative open platform, which they will never do ofc. Valve does not see other game developers/publishers as competitors but partners, something Microsoft, Ubisoft or any other big publisher would never allowed.

15 years ago games did not needed any clients and worked just fine, noone is forcing those publishers to use clients except their own greed, they can perfectly release their games as DRM free games as GoG does.

Edited by Chilloutman

Valve sees developers and publishers as a means of getting paid for providing a minimal service. Heck, it wasn't until GOG, Origins, Microsoft, and Uplay has return policies that Steam finally caved and instituted their own return policy. Valve's customer service is non-existent, they vetting program is a joke, and they're forum moderation is terrible.

One thing to look at multiple digital distribution platforms is that they could stimulate competicion, and maybe better service or offering something extra

GOG: no drm, no client, old games otherwise hard to get

Origins: subscription service (it is something)

Uplay: we make games on our own

Maybe MS could offer something.

Not gonna argue, you are for sure allowed to have your opinion. I for one am not interested in any vetting program or forum moderation. Never had problem/needed their customer service beside reseting my password which worked fine. Again to each his own I say.

Edited by Chilloutman

Origins: subscription service (it is something)

There is a subscription service on origins but paying for it isn't required for using origin as a digital platform.

I havent used it yet, however Origins service as option i view as possitive, there may be ppl who may like it.

In fact it could be good aproach how to publish B games. You pay subscribcion of selection of them, and can try them, and at least some of them will be worthy fee.

That is pro consumer aproach. Like netflix for games.

Edited by evilcat

As someone who played Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: NV, bought and backed PoE 1 and 2, I am very disappointed at this news. I've always thought of Obsidian as one of the greatest remaining gaming companies around. This is why I have alwyas supported their kickstarter projects. Knowing how corporate culture works, I know for a fact that the quality of games from Obsidian will now diminish and begin to focus more on monetization and bad business practices. Forget about PS4 and Windows 7, it's now GFWL and XBOX. PC players will now have to deal with console menus and substandard ports. Here's how things can possibly happen:

9.)  There will be more political correctness and SJW elements in Obsidian games. There will be less interesting adult and mature stories that have depth.

"SJW elements" only lack "depth" if they're done in half measures. Could you imagine the sort of gameplay and story mileage you could get out of incorporating privilege, prejudice, and power dynamics into an Obsidian-style RPG? They could hook directly into the game systems, apply modifiers to your reputations, have their own stats, and apply additional consequences to your choices with your character's background. Playing as an ex-slave wild orlan priest of Skaen would finally be as interesting as it sounds! Your character might even have a personal stake in all the political maneuvering Obsidian games tend to have.

• Like 1

works fine for Netflix and Valve and GoG so far?

So far yes. Publishers are slowly waking up to it. Why give 30% of their hard earned money to Valve/GOG when they can have their own store. EA's Origin has gotten bigger since they first opened it. You can't get EA games on Steam any longer.

Windows Store will get worked on according to Spencer. Ubisoft's store is still kinda half-***ed, but nevertheless even they have one. Smaller publishers naturally won't create their own storefronts, because a fractured marketplace could actually hurt them. With Steam/GOG they have huge part of PC market for themselves, if they put it on their own store that has drastically lower number of daily users they take a risk of people not even noticing that their game is out.

And it's not like the steady flow of content will suddenly stop. Steam and GOG will still have ton of games on them, just not everything. Which in someways is a bad thing and it other ways a good thing.

NetFlix is losing content to the movie studios / tv channels. They've seen this coming though and have developed pretty much every idea that has been pitched to them, to keep their customers. If you think about what NetFlix was when they originally started, and you look at it now the service has gone through a huge change.

TBH I dont care about Netflix, I don't have it.

Do you need to buy for example Paradox games through Steam? I think they have their own store, they just dont need intrusive client? Noone is stopping Microsoft, EA or anyone else to create their own open platform for games distribution, but they are not doing it so your point is moot. Again, if you like having 10 clients to play games its up to you. I don't want it and It seems many people agree with me as many would probably agree with you. And with never ending push to make games just stramed product on demand I don't trust them. I like to own games. I don't want my access to game i bought cut off because publisher decide to not support it anymore. Again there are people who does not care, I do

Do you need to buy for example Paradox games through Steam? I think they have their own store, they just dont need intrusive client? Noone is stopping Microsoft, EA or anyone else to create their own open platform for games distribution, but they are not doing it so your point is moot. Again, if you like having 10 clients to play games its up to you. I don't want it and It seems many people agree with me as many would probably agree with you. And with never ending push to make games just stramed product on demand I don't trust them. I like to own games. I don't want my access to game i bought cut off because publisher decide to not support it anymore. Again there are people who does not care, I do

No you don't. But guess what, Steam does take their cut from Paradox even if the purchase is done through Paradox's own store. The service isn't exactly free for Paradox even though they sell the key through their own store. Having their own store and platforms gives Microsoft a position to negotiate with Valve on the cuts Valve takes from selling Microsoft's games.

Monopoly or even duopoly isn't exactly good thing either. No one wants to have 10 clients, but then again no one wants one company controlling the majority of the PC market. Even a game like Quantum Break came out on Steam. It's not like Microsoft is keeping their games completely off of Steam, that's EA. So far I haven't seen such decision making from Microsoft.

• Like 1

Because noone was buying it in their store...