A Special Announcement From Obsidian

Mikey Dowling

Copied and pasted from another thread because people seem to be catagorizing Microsoft as somtething they're clearly not, probably because they're anger'd at the moment because they know Crpg is coming to end but I thought a few facts would be nice to have on the thread - instead of just worry talk and whining.

I'm looking at games published by Microsoft and seeing how great they are...

-Sunset Overdrive

-Quantum Break

-Super Lucky's Tale

-Dust: An Elysian Tale

-Ori And The Blind Forest

-Mark Of The Ninja

-Killer Instinct

-Max: Curse Of The Brotherhood

Nobody here is mentioning these games, I'm assuming they're not being mentioned because they aren't Crpg but we should give credit where it's due. Like Obsidian, these are small development companies and the track record for Microsoft proves they've done more well than not.

Also, people are acting as if there's nochanve of Obsidian's new games not being available to the pc audience or that if the games come to pc then there somehow bound to Windows store. All of this is superstitious and common paranoia driven by the usual forum brigade, all evidence proves to contrary of what members here are claiming, after all.

And yes, all the games I listed are from this generation and they are all available on Steam (except Sunset OD which isn't out yet). Point being, some peeps could take a breath - no need to worry about things that more than likely do not exist as certainly none of those ip's listed "lack" in quality or content and yet are handled by Microsoft.

So if a game turns out badly, it probably won't be Microsoft's fault but because we've seen Obsidian make buggy messes we love anyway then nostalgia can blind us. If Microsoft doesn't any longer let Obsidian develop Crpg games (which I highly doubt but members here seem so sure), it will probably bebfore the fact that Pillars and Tyranny sales were decent but profit was horrid and Pillars was one of the worst selling games on consoles, that's not exactly Microsoft's fault though and it would be smart for them as a business to not stay on a path that benefits nobody except a niche community of gamers - this obviously includes me since I was even a backer of Deadfire but I will go where Microsoft leads Obsidian because they're too great of a developer to give up. They've been my favorite developer since I was a wee little lad, after all.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The video made me feel like I was watching something on the history channel or maybe an infomercial. I can't quite put my finger on it but for some reason I felt a little odd while watching it. No, that's not an angry criticism, it was just rather strange - the end of a "personal era" vibe perhaps. :biggrin:

I think the cinematographic term is industrial film making. It's always cringy. 

That sounds like an appropriate term.

I also thought of another term just now - "canned." It feels very very canned, even moreso than average for game interview/announcement vids. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Actions speak louder then words. It's just going to be tough seeing what actions Obsidian/Microsoft choose.

I'm sure we'll get some dulcet sounding marketing coming out of this, but here's the facts we have so far.

- Scalebound was sold to Kamiya as his project, he could do whatever he wanted with it. Microsoft wanted his individuality. Within a few months however he had to take weekly/monthly meetings to listen to Microsoft shareholders demand he change the product to me more mainstream, more casual, more this or that. It eventually caused him to have a mental breakdown and he has gone fully **** Microsoft, never working with them again since then.

- Phantom Dust went from being a small remaster project, to suddenly a full price $60 RPG with a full campaign and more, without any changes to the budget. Why? Because Microsoft shareholders snuck past Phil yet again and demanded more, and more, and more from the company. They couldn't keep up, so Phil killed the studio.

- Microsoft forces everything onto their storefront. Reminder, this is their fourth attempt at a storefront. The last 3 times they gave up on PC gaming after attempting to be worse then everyone else, they also shut down access to all the games you previously bought. I have bought Gears of War 1 3 times, across 3 different Microsoft storefronts before I wised up and stopped giving Microsoft money.

Microsoft drains, guts, and then drops devs pretty ****ing quickly. Not as quick as EA, but they are next inline. It's gotten better since Phil took over, but "gotten better" just means slightly better then EA. And if Phil ever steps down, you can bet your bottom dollar the new head of Xbox will wonder why they have this "pointless" RPG studio.

If Microsoft and Obsidian want me to trust them that this is a good move, then they'd announce all their games will still come to all PC storefronts. But they won't, and instead we'll get the 2K RPG they are making ( cause 2K will publish that on everything ), and then all future games, including probably Pillars 3 will be locked down.

I get that Obsidian was hurting, what with Tyranny not hitting sales numbers, and Pillars 2 hurting as well, but yikes. This feels like taking a loan from the ferryman to hopefully stave off death for a few more years. Feels like we are trading one devil for another.

I'm not even worried about more casual/Alpha Protocol style RPGs. The writing has been on the wall for the CRPG Renaissance for awhile now. It was big enough for 1-2 games, but after that the interest dried out. Outside of a few hardcore fans, and people chasing nostalgia, there just isn't the money in it for big CRPGs anymore. That's fine. The idea of a Microsoft funded beefy RPG is appealing. It's just I wonder what the cost will be.

^^ Sonic, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of "3rd Party" and "1st Party" mean. More then half of those games were made through the Indie Fund Microsoft keeps up, which has notoriously bad return rates for indie devs, and has screwed over a lot of new devs. The other half were published after Microsoft ****canned almost every single 1st party studio they had, and they suddenly needed to make games again. I don't think any of those are actually 1st party, ie made by Microsoft inhouse.

You want to know what happened to the inhouse games? They got canned, told to remake their games for different audiences because shareholders refused to fund them, had huge firing sprees, and didn't actually get their games released. Microsoft is a fine publisher.....usually, sometimes they pull a Stormlands, but an AWFUL 1st party publisher. And that's the role they just took over for Obsidian. Total control.

• Like 1

A bit confused though I don't think it is bad news. Microsoft is really getting better under Satya Nadella as a CEO - Microsoft services nowadays are less tied to Windows platform than they used to. And definitely Microsoft is not EA.
Good luck, Obsidian! Still enjoying your games.

• Like 3

Members here are afraid, afraid that Obsidian will never be Obsidian again I guess - whatever that means.

And even though Microsoft saved Obsidian (literally), they're going to compare Microsoft with EA, make Microsft the EVIL stepdad creep, even though as I pointed out - all evidence points to the contrary. We all know it but people don't want to be optimistic here :(

Kotor II was console focused, New Vegas was console focused, Alpha Protocol was console focused as well. All those games were developed with console as top priority and the first two are still considered by many as Obsidian's best so, there shouldn't be any problem.

Add to that, Pillars 1 was ported to consoles and even though the sales were bad, they proved the pendulum can swing both ways. So there is no need for all the fear, anxiety and paranoia.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Members here are afraid, afraid that Obsidian will never be Obsidian again I guess - whatever that means.

And even though Microsoft saved Obsidian (literally), they're going to compare Microsoft with EA, make Microsft the EVIL stepdad creep, even though as I pointed out - all evidence points to the contrary. We all know it but people don't want to be optimistic here :(

I don't think things will be that bad. Microsoft made several moves recently - bought GitHub, started Linux subsystem project, all these projects with Android launchers, free iPhone software. What for? How are they going to make it profitable? They are making money on their cloud services, Office and new PCs with Windows 10. Xbox is the second source of money.

But there are lots of studios more commercially succesful, more convenient than inXile and Obsidian. But both have their own reputation - like GitHub they are full of talent and it is what Microsoft under Nadella is searching for. If I am right. Obsidian don't lose much - new Black Isle was founded, if things get bad they can open new studio. We will back on KickStarter.

I just read the MS news about this.  This sentence sums it all up:

We’re focused on implementing new Microsoft technologies, delivering content for new platforms and services like Xbox Game Pass, and creating exclusive games that turn players into loyal Xbox fans.

Their priority is creating loyal Xbox fan(boys).  This means UWP + Windows Store + XBone exclusives.  So the chances of Obsidian games on GOG, Steam and other consoles is very slim.

We’re focused on implementing new Microsoft technologies, delivering content for new platforms and services like Xbox Game Pass, and creating exclusive games that turn players into loyal Xbox fans.

Their priority is creating loyal Xbox fan(boys).  This means UWP + Windows Store + XBone exclusives.  So the chances of Obsidian games on GOG, Steam and other consoles is very slim.

Stop tormenting my soul, I have a name.

Dank Memes for Dank Spores.

Don't forget Fee to Pay monetization.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

*Darkness comes down like a might of smog*

Silence wyrm!!!

Your name has no power in Microsoft's domain, it may have in Obsidian's world but this is the new world order: Microbsodian.

*Darkness suddenly lifts*

It has never looked so dark or bleak for pc gamers, eh?

*Darkness comes down like a might of smog*

Silence wyrm!!!

Your name has no power in Microsoft's domain, it may have in Obsidian's world but this is the new world order: Microbsodian.

*Darkness suddenly lifts*

It has never looked so dark or bleak for pc gamers, eh?

For PC gamers that love isometric RPGs with RTwP and don't want to switch away from Win 7 because they really like it and really dislike Win 10, yes.

For anybody working for Obsidian I am extremely happy. I still hope my fears are proven wrong, but I'm just not seeing it right now.

Dank Memes for Dank Spores.

With being acquired by the Borg, I would hope to see an infusion of capital that would allow Obsidian to hire writers and coders that would give us the engaging and reasonably bug-free RPG's we all crave. But in reality, we will probably see Obsidian stamp its moniker on console oriented online multiplayer clickers as they are slowly chewed up and digested by a soul-destroying corporate culture.

Then one day a few years from now refugees will put together another Kickstarter campaign to give the PC gaming public the RPG's that they want but the major studios will never produce.

RIP, Obsidian. It was nice while it lasted.

• Like 1

So I'll have to get used to the Windows Store after all. But anything's better than losing Obsidian. Congratulations on the deal. I Hope it's good. Whatever will happen now, I'm glad we can be looking forward to more games from you guys.

We have lost Obsidian. Being assimilated by the Borg into the collective is still essentially the death of the individual.

• Like 1

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
15327.jpg

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

BEST NOT RESIST OR ALL YE SHALL PERISH AND YOUR CRPG'S TOO.

Congratulations on the acquisition to the good folks of Obsidian. Best of luck with the new arrangement.

Thanks for the great DRM-free role playing games for the PC platform.

If you are able to continue doing what you have been doing, I will continue to be a loyal customer.

• Like 3

As a consequence of this merger, can we expect any improvements to inquiries about your website?

This sucker's been percolating for more than 4 years, and still not word one you Obsidianites: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66742-forum-edit-function-too-sensitive/

You could at least pop in and call me out for the loser I obviously am for not giving up on that thread/question. "You're a loser Marceror. Go get a real life." That would at least be something. Do the vast resources of MS maybe, possibly allow for someone to check in on forum questions once or twice a year? Just wondering? :)

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I'm willing to wait and see, but "Microsoft exclusive" is what bothers me. I will never ever buy a console, and I will also not buy my games from the Windows Store. So will I still be able to play future Obsidian games? I hope someone from Obsidian will answer this question very soon.

I'm willing to wait and see, but "Microsoft exclusive" is what bothers me. I will never ever buy a console, and I will also not buy my games from the Windows Store. So will I still be able to play future Obsidian games? I hope someone from Obsidian will answer this question very soon.

For what it's worth, inXile's been actively responding on Twitter at many of the questions asked to them about their own acquisition by Microsoft. On the question of online stores and GoG, their response is: "We're keeping our backer commitments for BT4 and WL3. Beyond that, it's hard to say. It's still very early in this new relationship." This would suggest other platforms are not out of the question, at least for the community-backed stuff currently in the works. On the other hand this suggests Win/Xbox exclusivity may be a part of the deal for future non-backer games for them. So, assuming the deal with Obsidian was similar, sad times.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 6

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I may buy additional consoles, but that's just for my kids, and even they seem to be less and less interested in this platform. Other than occasional forays in Call of Duty, where the absolutely kick my butt, I have no interest in playing games on consoles. Mouse and keyboard for life, baby!

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

As a consequence of this merger, can we expect any improvements to inquiries about your website?

This sucker's been percolating for more than 4 years, and still not word one you Obsidianites: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66742-forum-edit-function-too-sensitive/

You could at least pop in and call me out for the loser I obviously am for not giving up on that thread/question. "You're a loser Marceror. Go get a real life." That would at least be something. Do the vast resources of MS maybe, possibly allow for someone to check in on forum questions once or twice a year? Just wondering? :)

There's always also a chance that the forums as we know it get closed down.

Bruce, I mean SonicMage, is really working overtime on this thread and any other mentions of the buyout. I hope he gets a nice bonus this Svyatski for all his hard work.

No Oby, I'm just one of the only smart ones who realizes that over-speculating bs and stirring unnecessary drama will probably get the forum shut down. It's funny that people claim to "care" about the forums but yet will call Microsoft the devil and claim to not support Obsidian anymore for taking the deal. People on the internet aren't so smart apparently.

Edit:

And yeah, I realize that stating some facts that peeps don't want to acknowledge makes me look like the crazy guy but I guess I'd rather look crazy to a few members by saying something the rest of the camp doesn't agree with than to look nothing but paranoid to the rest of the world, whining about things that the future has to bring - when we know nothing. Possible negative side effects without reason to believe isn't so wise to assume in the first place.

Also, if I were shaming Obsidian for taking the deal and such, you probably wouldn't be comparing me to Bruce because I'd be going with the flow lol Being positive, realistic and optimistic about such a buyout will get you burned to a stake as well but I'm still happy if Obsidian makes casual action brawlers on Xbox! #SonicWitchTrials #LongLiveMicr0bsidian

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 2