A Special Announcement From Obsidian

Mikey Dowling

Having gone in the past through a corp acquisition that saw my job being cut (read: outsourced), I honestly wish you folks all the best.

So what does this mean for non-Win10/Xbox players?

Is Obsidian going to still make games with PC led design with optional console ports?

Do you guys not have consoles?

• Like 6

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"If you're a fan of Obsidian, now would be a time to get wise and buy a console"

Hmmm...

Well, sure wouldn't hurt :)

I love how every so often, I get a humble reminder of how smart my investments in my $300.00 plastic boxes with ancient hardware, really are. Long live Microbsidian! <3

Also, I doubt Mikey will answer the question officially since they won't be able to announce anything for sometime anyway. It's like expectimg them to answer "How do you like working with MS?" They've really only just begun. Teehee

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

So what does this mean for non-Win10/Xbox players?

Is Obsidian going to still make games with PC led design with optional console ports?

Nope. And I'd probably get a Switch or a PS4 before I'd get an Xbox too.

Also I'm very much in the same field as you, Doom. My experiences with corp mergers/acquisitions has always been a net negative, to me and to the product in general. Hoping it's not the case here, and I wish the people at Obsidian the best.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Huh, well thats quite a change. So the rumors are true. While the fear is big that the games Obsidian and inXile will produce now will be console ports and/or more casual games then hardcore RPG niche games, there is at least this quote from Microsoft:

It was important for us to find studio partners who have strong creative visions, a mastery of their medium and are expert world-builders. Obsidian and inXile embody all of these qualities while also bringing expertise on the PC platform and a unique RPG focus to the table.

So at least this sounds to me that they still want these companies to produce their games mainly on PC and creating RPGs. But it would be good to know if Obsidian will now produce more casual games for the mass market (that would really be a bummer...) or if they will still produce similiar games like today.

All of us be damned. We can expect 4 party character consolized thrash now :(

I hope this is not April Fool joke

No, just you. This is in poor taste, try to show them a bit of respect. After all, We don't want to look pathetic and whiney like the Blizzard community.

Besides, this is the best thing that could have happened for Obsidian and this has obviously been in discussion for months since the rumor (or leak rather, since it's true) was months ago. Financially, there was issues, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that now, they no longer need to fear that.

And yeah, I'd happily take an arcadey casual 4 character party couch-multiplayer action rpg in the Pillars world for an exclusive Xbox title. Think Gauntlet Legends 64 but with Obsidian. We'd be crazy not to want it lol Not every game from Obsidian has to be or should be a single player Crpg. What about what they want? What if they want to try something new or change things up? Why should we keep them in a box?

Now just hoping the members here start to bite their tongue a bit and just think of what this partnership could really mean. So much paranoia on the Internet these days, ffs we don't even know s#it yet and already people here are assuming the worst lol We should be happy for them, encouraging them and giving them our blessing, celebrating with them, at least we would if we really trusted them in the first place...

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Sorry Obsidian, but I'm now done with you. I will never buy another one of your products now that you're part of the greedy corporate devil that is Microsoft, a company that not only doesn't understand PC gamers and the PC gaming environment, but actively tries to sabotage it and force its own agenda through stubborn and arrogant methods. The disaster that was Windows 10, the lies about DX12, and the horror of GFWL, UWP and the Windows Store are just some examples of how Microsoft have been nothing but harmful to PC gaming for the past decade and a half.

I thought you guys were better than this, but obviously not. Have fun being cut off from Sony and Nintendo though, and having your future titles fade into obscurity on their lackluster console and terrible services instead of thriving on Steam or GoG. I'm sure in a decade you'll still be going strong and have stuck to your roots and that Microsoft won't have sucked the soul out of you like EA sucked the soul out of BioWare.

Or perhaps by then you'll be sucked dry and cast aside like Lionhead.

Edited by Terror K
  • Like 8

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
15327.jpg

Very sad news.

The Pillars IP will be butchered on the altar of console-driven, brainless shooters with swords (also known as “action RPGs”) for spoiled children with attention-deficit disorder.

No more isometric party-based RTWP games for us. Wait for it.

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I am so incredibly disappointed that one of my favorite RPG companies is foolish enough to think Microsoft will do anything but eat them up. Lemme guess, now I can't buy your games on steam or GoG? Oh, and consoles? What?! I have a PC for a reason, I absolutely despise playing with a controller. I guess we still have CD Projekt Red to make good games, rest in peace Obsidian. I don't understand this move at all. You had a good thing going--a small, smart company with a devoted fan base that knows what we want: well-written, challenging RPGs (usually of the isometric variety) without a corporate label. So, you choose to abandon this loyal fanbase for...all of those RPG fans out there who somehow weren't already aware of your games? Is there a hidden cache of X-box bros out there looking to switch up from Fortnite, down another Mt. Dew, and spend some time paused, plotting strategy? I mean, come on, this was about the money. 

Edited by Carnifexus
  • Like 1

I am so incredibly disappointed that one of my favorite RPG companies is foolish enough to think Microsoft will do anything but eat them up. Lemme guess, now I can't buy your games on steam or GoG? Oh, and consoles? What?! I have a PC for a reason, I absolutely despise playing with a controller. I guess we still have CD Projekt Red to make good games, rest in peace Obsidian.

it seems like a slap to their fans. they are giving us the notion of getting a way from big publishers going independent with more freedom and now they sold it for a huge sum of money. i can tell you this acquisition is not a cheap thing. the directors at obisidian probably in a sea of cash now.

microsoft acquired minecraft for $2B. this acquisition will cost at least few hundreds millions for the obsidian directors. it's all about money. i'm sure they will be praising microsoft ups and down celebrating in a sea of cash.

• Like 7

Microsoft owns Freelancer IP. Sweet Jesus, I didn't even know how much I want a space sim by Obsidian. Different ships would be like classes and you'd get money from missions to upgrade your ship. It would be like a RPG in disguise in space!

• Like 9

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Ah, yes—forgot to mention GoG. Very likely that no new releases will be made available there, and I’m on a strict no-Steam, no-DRM policy.

• Like 5

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I am so incredibly disappointed that one of my favorite RPG companies is foolish enough to think Microsoft will do anything but eat them up. Lemme guess, now I can't buy your games on steam or GoG? Oh, and consoles? What?! I have a PC for a reason, I absolutely despise playing with a controller. I guess we still have CD Projekt Red to make good games, rest in peace Obsidian.

it seems like a slap to their fans. they are giving us the notion of getting a way from big publishers going independent with more freedom and now they sold it for a huge sum of money. i can tell you this acquisition is not a cheap thing. the directors at obisidian probably in a sea of cash now.

microsoft acquired minecraft for $2B. this acquisition will cost at least few hundreds millions for the obsidian directors. it's all about money. i'm sure they will be praising microsoft ups and down celebrating in a sea of cash.

Gah, after beating POE:2, I thought to myself "I can't wait to see the next RPG in this saga, maybe they'll adopt some of the spell book ideas from Tyranny and Divinity: Original Sin 2, really bring the isometric RPG into the modern gaming world." Now we'll be lucky if there's a spell book...I mean, it's depressing as hell is what it is.

Edited by Carnifexus
  • Like 1

Very sad news.

The Pillars IP will be butchered on the altar of console-driven, brainless shooters with swords (also known as “action RPGs”) for spoiled children with attention-deficit disorder.

No more isometric party-based RTWP games for us. Wait for it.

Sounds good to me, I never held Obsidian as "Crpg only people", some members on the forums would agree that Kotor 2 and New Vegas were better efforts than Pillars anyway. Crpg was the foundation of the crew but I neber thought for a second that it was all they would do. They're so much better than that and to only tie them to one genre would be an insult at this point. I'm pretty sure Microsoft recognized their talents and will challenge them to do new things, better things and grow as developers.

Let's be real, if people are only going to support Obsidian if they make Crpg's on pc, then they were never really Obsidian fans to begin with. They're just the average no brainer Crpg fan, nothing more. What supports this? The fact that Obsidian have made plenty of great non-Crpg games already. Nevermind the fact that people such as yourself make a myth like "Action RPG's are dumbed down" seem true just because you are disappointed with the news or don't enjoy other sub-genres in rpg.

Games like Kotor 2, Mass Effect, The Witcher 3, Dragons Dogma and many more already proved that Action Rpg's don't have to be dumbed down like Skyrim and can have more depth than a Crpg. Why don't we wait a year or two before condemning/judging what happens?

I'm not sure why people are acting like if they don't make a Crpg then they can't create a great game period. Smh... Forums teehee

People acting like Obsidian Entertainment accepting a business deal that means they don't have to constantly have the fear of bankruptcy and unemployment over their head need to get a grip and get some perspective.

Or you need to do some research into what kind of deal this is exactly. Do you honestly think they are going to be in risk of closing doors in the near future (at least a few years) with Microsoft's cash filling their pockets. Please don't tell me you're this clueless lol Sure Microsoft might let go of a few people but you do know that they're more likely to expand then decrease in staff now right? That's common sense...

And to the peeps saying "They betrayed us!" ummm... they didn't "betray their fans" guys, come on, you guys gotta be more mature than that, really? Lol

They made a decision, the decision was best for them as a company, as developers. If the fanbase doesn't support or agree with it oh well I guess, I'm glad you guys have nothing to do with the company itself though and if the fanbase here doesn't buy the games, it won't matter. They'll just make different games that will cater to a different audience ad gain new/different fans. They won't lose. Just be happy for them, it's damn shame to see so much negativity from peeps here but it's te internet. Whatcha gonna do? *shruggles*

Edited by SonicMage117

You’re looking at my comment from the wrong perspective. My gripe is that Obsidian were the only AAA-grade developer still making the only kind of game I like: isometric, party-based RPGs with RTWP combat. Yes, there have been a few others but none with the production value the Pillars games had. Now that’s extremely likely to be over.

If Obsidian are happy with the partnership, more power to them. If they make great games with Microsoft, that’s awesome. But unless they’re old-school RPGs available from GoG DRM-free, I won’t be playing them.

I tried Witcher 3, arguably one of the best aRPGs out there judging by its critical success, and I got bored before I even entered the first big city (and that’s not discounting the good writing some of the quests had; I thought some of it was brilliant.) This type of modern games won’t suddenly become my cup of tea just because what I like isn’t being made anymore.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 4

Or you need to do some research into what kind of deal this is exactly. Do you honestly think they are going to be in risk of closing doors in the near future (at least a few years) with Microsoft's cash filling their pockets. Please don't tell me you're this clueless lol Sure Microsoft might let go of a few people but you do know that they're more likely to expand then decrease in staff now right?

I can only conclude you've misread my post.

It is possible that MS will use Obsidian to make our own Witcher for new XBox console, system seller and all that stuff. Some ppl will enjoy it ( they like this witcher formula especially if supported with budget)

The last part of trilogy PoE3 is promising enought, and is more ikely now.

There keeps reapearing new isometric crpg of various devs, ufnortunely active pause is less common, and some of them are interesting enought.

As long as there will be any crpg, story driven games, some of them have a chance to be very good.

Generally we never had anything, so it is hard to feel the loss.

Edited by evilcat

Even if I did, I'd still want to play Obsidian RPGs on PC because playing Pillars/NWN2/New Vegas on a Xbox would suck in terms of control and performance. You already have to mod New Vegas because Bethesda made that awful UI for consoles and just decided to dump it on PC. Mods, that's another thing, of course the MS store is trying to kill them.

Nope. And I'd probably get a Switch or a PS4 before I'd get an Xbox too.

Pretty much, the Switch then a PS4, Microsoft are just going to release all their Xbox games on PC anyway.

Also, what happens with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's project? I'd guess that post release support is in doubt unless Microsoft wants to buy the project, they'd probably want that project pushed out the door as fast as possible with the bare minimum contractually obligated. This also means Tyranny 2 and a collaboration with Paradox using the Vampire IP is out of the question. I'd doubt Microsoft would want Obsidian working on PoE 3 at least as we'd imagine it.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

People acting like Obsidian Entertainment accepting a business deal that means they don't have to constantly have the fear of bankruptcy and unemployment over their head is a big betrayal need to get a grip and get some perspective.

If you need some financial assistance and stability, then at least hook up with a company that is in line with your ideals and values.

Until now I thought that Obsidian was pretty much the antithesis of a company like Microsoft, and that there would have been no way that they'd share the same mindset when it comes to gaming. But now they've just got in bed with them it seems this isn't the case.

• Like 5

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
15327.jpg