A Special Announcement From Obsidian

Mikey Dowling

Hi, all!

We're very excited to be able to announce that we are joining the Microsoft family. This is something that is huge for us and we can't express what this will mean for us and our games going forward. While we will be able to get more information out to you in the coming days, we wanted to share this video we did that may answer some of your questions now.

• Like 20

On Twitter @MikeyDowling

Literally just saw the news and rushed over here. Congratulations team!

Microsoft seems to have a refocused plan for investing in first-party developers, I think this will be a fine partnership. Just don't forget to give them grief about Stormlands and their good old days with Ensemble. Keep them humble!

Edited by injurai
  • Like 3

A video that doesn't really answer much of anything. 

Some starter questions:

1) Will you be hiring? Expanding the number of projects?

2) It's a given that you'll be developing XBox games. But will you still be making classical-style tactical-focused cRPGs?

3) Will Obsidian be deciding on which games they will develop? Or will this be assigned from the powers that be in Redmond?

4) Is MCA drunk yet? Has he raged-posted?

• Like 11

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Is Obsidian going to still release games on GoG or Steam?

^^^ I really hope this doesn't mean your games will only be on the Windows/xbox store.  I'm sick of intrusive DRM infecting my system and having multiple online clients to play games, so it's now GOG or nothing.

• Like 1

Copy and pasted from the other thread:

Congrats Obsidian, you definitely made the right choice. Ignore the snide comments, celebrate the victory and the paycheck, I'll continue to suport you guys and buy your games.

Talent is not limited by the parent/owner company, it's quite baffling that some members here would say "Goodbye quality games" due to Mucrosoft buying them out, if anything quality will only go up as they are now free to fund.

Again, I'll say it again,

CONGRATULATIONS OBSIDIAN! May you prosper and continue to give us great games, better games regardless of if only console or not (could care less as I play on both pc and console).

• Like 3

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

So the next logical step is Microsoft buying the Alpha Protocol IP from SEGA and funding the sequel that EVERYBODY wants, right?

Might as well grab Tyranny from Paradox, too, while they're at it.

I'm all for that. I liked Tyranny more than PoE, but it needs a sequel, and I don't want anyone but Obsidian doing it.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Looks like inxile is part of Microsoft now too.

Yarp.

We know :) Microsoft is flipping heads right now. Fun to see the fanbase reaction though it's like "Whatcha gonna do?" *shruggles*

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

What is going to happen to us?

Climate change is going to destroy half the planet in 20 years or we'll be living Fallout but with iphones instead of retro-futuristic gadgets.
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands