Only a few hours in, not liking it much

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

Certainly, Deadfire doesn't ride the nostalgia train that much. Which, in my opinion, is its biggest strength. I am surprised whenever people suggest there is setting or tone shift between the two games - in this games OP bringing the subject of guns - it's like someone played through PoE1, ignored its setting, and pretended it's IE forgotten realms. 

It seems that neither Tyranny nor Deadfire attracted as much attention as PoE1, even though both titles were perfectly fine. 

Tyranny is fine as far as setting and story go (I would say it is the best of the three), but jeez, that power creep that kicks in after Act 1 is horrible.

Edited by Psychovampiric Shield

Certainly, Deadfire doesn't ride the nostalgia train that much. Which, in my opinion, is its biggest strength. I am surprised whenever people suggest there is setting or tone shift between the two games - in this games OP bringing the subject of guns - it's like someone played through PoE1, ignored its setting, and pretended it's IE forgotten realms. 

It seems that neither Tyranny nor Deadfire attracted as much attention as PoE1, even though both titles were perfectly fine. 

Tyranny is fine as far as setting and story goes (I would say it is the best of the three), but jeez, that power creep that kicks in after Act 1 is horrible.

I recently re-picked up Tyranny a little bit and I was actually surprised to re-encounter the level of reactivity and choice in that game. The first time I played it I felt a bit cheated because the game implied a lot more choice and consequence than actually mattered, but after playing lots of PoE1 and Deadfire I think it's still a whole lot. Companions are still sort of an afterthought in Deadfire (even if better than PoE1) compared to Fear/Loyalty actually determining their abilities in Tyranny.

Tyranny is still a more mediocre game though (and not just because of post-act 1 creep). Would have to agree with the setting and story being unique. May have also put players off for that; classical bronze age vs iron age technology level is... definitely not orthodox, and I think Obsidian underestimated how much people like being the good guy of the piece.

Edited by thelee

Tyranny has a promising start and a potentially great story/setting. They put all that promise into a giant bucket of pig swill and throw it downriver halfway through. After a while you're not really an evil overlord's special investigator, you're not a budding political novus homo trying to carve out your own territory, and nothing that happens in the story actually requires the conceit of an evil overlord or political intrigue. You just talk to Mr Mysterious Questgiver Evil Mary Sue (who is called, what the hell, Bleden Mark, what's next, a barista called Stah B. Uchs?) and then go kill everybody until you side with the remaining one (or just kill everyone). And then boom, a giant deus ex machina at the end that bulldozes it all.

Meanwhile, the gameplay is a watered-down POE with none of the tactical complexity, made so easy that on Hard I could sit there reading a book and occasionally mash the skill hotkeys and win. (Yes, I did exactly this, not even a figure of speecH)

I like Deadfire for all its faults, and I'm generally fondly disposed to flawed RPGs that try new things, but Tyranny was a big downer for me.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, the gameplay is a watered-down POE with none of the tactical complexity, made so easy that on Hard I could sit there reading a book and occasionally mash the skill hotkeys and win. (Yes, I did exactly this, not even a figure of speecH)

yeah gameplay was frequently just spamming cooldowns. Basically the game combat is all about prep, and then it's just mashing whatever cooldown is ready during combat. I also really hated how willing enemies were to break engagement. I'm sure it made it "harder" but also made tactical engagement more meaningless.

Edited by thelee

yeah gameplay was frequently just spamming cooldowns. Basically the game combat is all about prep, and then it's just mashing whatever cooldown is ready during combat. I also really hated how willing enemies were to break engagement. I'm sure it made it "harder" but also made tactical engagement more meaningless.

I lost interest halfway through the game and never finished it. But I liked to design spells.

sign.jpg

I hated the 4 character concept. But I like the no friendly fire. Seems to me positioning is more of an annoyance than actually contributing anything. Good luck in no pause challenge unless you can make the battle extremely slow

Edited by Archaven

Tyranny has a promising start and a potentially great story/setting. They put all that promise into a giant bucket of pig swill and throw it downriver halfway through. After a while you're not really an evil overlord's special investigator, you're not a budding political novus homo trying to carve out your own territory, and nothing that happens in the story actually requires the conceit of an evil overlord or political intrigue. You just talk to Mr Mysterious Questgiver Evil Mary Sue (who is called, what the hell, Bleden Mark, what's next, a barista called Stah B. Uchs?) and then go kill everybody until you side with the remaining one (or just kill everyone). And then boom, a giant deus ex machina at the end that bulldozes it all.

Well, you picked the most boring path (nobody wants to talk to you so you kill everything) ever and it seems to me you expected this to be a power fantasy but evil (you ain't no special investigator, you're one of many disposable legal clerks and even your new powers do not make you that special, Archons are dime a dozen) and this likely contributed to your disappointment, although I agree it kind of fizzles towards the end. Wasn't too enamored with combat (loved spell system though), but combat isn't why I play games so I'll adapt to anything if I love the story and world building...well, almost anything (hello, Witcher!). Deep Roads Old Walls were dreadful, though. 

All in all, for me now Deadfire = Tyranny >>> PoE, but ain't gonna fight IRL anyone over that. To each their own.  :biggrin:

there's a small blue dwarfish thing companion that's so hypersexualized gay in everything he says and does it's like he's shouting "i'm a gay companion, so cool hey?, did you notice i'm gay DID YOU!?". I'm fine with gay companions, Mass Effect introduced gay reliationships and they were subtle enough if you cared for them, but this is a bit too much.

55530219.jpg

Serafen is a ****ing treasure.  Away with you.

• Like 2

Having played it for 30 hours now, I must admit the second game doesn't interest me as much as the first. Hopefully it'll get better.

We ... we cannot be seen together anymore.

Stick it out.

Pro-tip: You don't HAVE to bring Pellagina in your party. She's the ultimate partypooper. Just kill her!

Nerf Troubadour!

Having played it for 30 hours now, I must admit the second game doesn't interest me as much as the first. Hopefully it'll get better.

We ... we cannot be seen together anymore.

Stick it out.

Pro-tip: You don't HAVE to bring Pellagina in your party. She's the ultimate partypooper. Just kill her!

I didn't use Pellagina in my playthrough of PoE 1, but I thought I'd give her a go in PoE 2 in my aborted playthrough before I decided "wait-for-patches/restart" (which has evolved into "frack it, I have so much to play at the moment, might as well wait until all the expansions are out and patched!").

I will not be using her the second time, even though mechanically I thought she was not a bad idea. Ye gods... I'mma take Maia, I think, Eder and Xoti will just have to suck it up and do all the tanking...!

• Like 1